Federici tribute thread...

philM

Re: Federici tribute thread...

by philM » 25 Feb 2010 12:44

floyd__streete Meanwhile Marcus Hahnemann is now getting a regular game in the Premier League; if only Hammond had made some attempt to keep one of our best goalkeepers ever we wouldn't be lumbered with Federici.

How could we have kept Hahnemann? His wages were above the ceiling that SJM had set and he had to go or take a massive drop in pay. I don't see what Hammond could have done about it.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2010 12:47

He's been so depressed at some of the errors he's made that he did try and end it all. I understand he went running distraught from the MadStad out onto the A33 and threw himself in front of Park and Ride bus that was doing 50 mph down the dual carriageway. Luckily it passed underneath him, though.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Feb 2010 13:08

:|

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 25 Feb 2010 13:25

:|

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Feb 2010 13:41

He's an enigma at the mo. Silly mistakes and fine saves. Last night was a fine repertoire of his skills.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Feb 2010 13:43

To be fair I doubt there are many keepers at this level who haven't dropped 2 or 3 clangers this season.

Think Fed's an average Championship keeper. Didn't think Carson looked that great, prob should have been better placed fro Sigs wonder strike.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Feb 2010 13:42

Really only two clangers this season - Sheff Utd and now WBA; the two goals vs CP were not clangers. Still, I agree that he's been very inconsistent - makes some great saves that Marcus wouldn't have made, but is still very weak on crosses. But then he's still young and I'm sure will get better with experience.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2010 13:47

Only two clangers? Are you kidding me?

He's made plenty, some that have led to goals and many more that haven't.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 26 Feb 2010 14:05

One of the unfortunate things for feds is that a lot of people tend to 'forget' all the times he's saved us this season and the fact this is his first full season as no.1 at a professional level. Yes, he's made some costly errors but the amount of times he's saved our skin outway the clangers by a country mile, and I'm sure we'd be lower down the league if it wasn't for his heroics.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2010 14:16

I'm not forgetting any of that, I just believe that he makes a lot of mistakes that have cost us goals, and he's conceeded a fair few 'soft' goals that you just expect a keeper to make a better effort of keeping out. They're not obvious mistakes, they're just soft goals.

As a keeper you're standing in the middle of an 8 yard x 8 ft net because your half decent at keeper the ball out. Most of he saves he's made in those 'saving our skins' moments are pretty regulation saves. Don't get me wrong he's pulled out some great saves too, but he makes even the average, bread and butter stops look harder than they're. He's a cameramans dream!!!

We were spoilt with Hahnemann because he was an exceptionally good keeper, especially at this level. One of the reasons he was so good was because he very rarely made mistakes and he made important saves and important moments. You just can't say the former for Federici.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Feb 2010 14:23

Whilst the defense has played a significant part in this season's defensive record, one thing that can't be overlooked for me is Reading have kept 2 clean sheets in the last 25 or so matches. Now individually have Reading got bad defenders for this league? I would say absolutely not. They have chopped and ahnged it which doesn't help and Federici has had some excellent games as well this season, but I said it before he is a keeper that will just concede lots of goals, a bit like Paul Robinson. Nothing to do all game, they will have 2 shots, he'll make a decent save and the other will go in.

Hahnemann was a rock for this club for a lot of years and I said last year, when idiots were moaning that his kicking was a bit dump. You'll all miss him when he's gone. That 7/10 steadyness no frills style is just so crucial for a keeper.

Rosneior - Duberry- Ivar - Armstrong

That was Coppell's preferred back 4 last season, is that honestly better than the one we have now? And who has/had the better keeping record?

Federici you'd hope will get better and better the more games he played but there is just always a mistake in him. Whether it's concentration, technique I don't know. He always seems rushed to me. He's quite athletic and can make some great instinct saves but he's fidgety for use of a better word, has a weird technique in nearly all aspects of his game from catching to kicking. Unorthodox, at times effective but at times I think it lets him down.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2010 14:26

100% agree AP.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 26 Feb 2010 14:43

Alan Partridge Whilst the defense has played a significant part in this season's defensive record, one thing that can't be overlooked for me is Reading have kept 2 clean sheets in the last 25 or so matches. Now individually have Reading got bad defenders for this league? I would say absolutely not. They have chopped and ahnged it which doesn't help and Federici has had some excellent games as well this season, but I said it before he is a keeper that will just concede lots of goals, a bit like Paul Robinson. Nothing to do all game, they will have 2 shots, he'll make a decent save and the other will go in.

Hahnemann was a rock for this club for a lot of years and I said last year, when idiots were moaning that his kicking was a bit dump. You'll all miss him when he's gone. That 7/10 steadyness no frills style is just so crucial for a keeper.

Rosneior - Duberry- Ivar - Armstrong

That was Coppell's preferred back 4 last season, is that honestly better than the one we have now? And who has/had the better keeping record?

Federici you'd hope will get better and better the more games he played but there is just always a mistake in him. Whether it's concentration, technique I don't know. He always seems rushed to me. He's quite athletic and can make some great instinct saves but he's fidgety for use of a better word, has a weird technique in nearly all aspects of his game from catching to kicking. Unorthodox, at times effective but at times I think it lets him down.

Sensible post AP. I agree about the bit about last seasons back 4 being very good, but our current back has been changed so many times and will change again next season when the loanees return, with Khizinashvili being the most likely one we could afford to keep.
About feds, I can see what you mean. I would also add the fact that he has a weakness diving to his right and that is quite similar to a problem David Seaman had. I've read from an interview with Seaman that he has never felt comfortable diving to his right and he was surprised that he made it as a keeper with that weakness. Most goalies are comfortable on both sides especially at top level. But what he used to do is play to his strengths by positioning himself more to his right so when the inevitable shot comes in the striker will more likely direct it at his strongest side. Worked a charm for him! I'm not suggesting feds should do the same but I'm just sharing an observation. However, I agree he needs to command his area more if he wants to put more confidence in his back line and boost his confidence too.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 26 Feb 2010 14:46

I must admit we've had far worse in goal but I'm still not a massive fan.

Yes, his distribution is 1st class and he's made some top drawer saves for us but then every keeper does that. For me he makes too many mistakes, is too easily beaten from range or at the near post and he isn't the most sound on crosses. He's not a bad keeper but I think we'll need better if we're to challenge for a return to the Prem at some stage.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 26 Feb 2010 14:56

Still Hate Futcher! I must admit we've had far worse in goal but I'm still not a massive fan.

Yes, his distribution is 1st class and he's made some top drawer saves for us but then every keeper does that. For me he makes too many mistakes, is too easily beaten from range or at the near post and he isn't the most sound on crosses. He's not a bad keeper but I think we'll need better if we're to challenge for a return to the Prem at some stage.

Plenty of time for that to happen then.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Feb 2010 14:59

Dirk Gently He's been so depressed at some of the errors he's made that he did try and end it all. I understand he went running distraught from the MadStad out onto the A33 and threw himself in front of Park and Ride bus that was doing 50 mph down the dual carriageway. Luckily it passed underneath him, though.

*triple facepalm jpg*

fcking hell Dirkers

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Mar 2010 10:35

Thought he did ok on Saturday without ever really having anything to do.

I did think he got lucky in the first half when he decided to parry a shot from 20 yards that you'd hope your keeper could just catch and hold onto.

For me that was the kind of thing he gets wrong all too often and is probably partly down to a lack of confidence on long shots caused by his numerous other mistakes in the past.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2010 12:52

I like him. Dropped some clangers this season, but he's done nowhere near bad enough to cause real concern.

Stable, decent defence in front of him next season and we'll have very few defensive worries IMO.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Mar 2010 00:42

Ian Royal I like him. Dropped some clangers this season, but he's done nowhere near bad enough to cause real concern.

Stable, decent defence in front of him next season and we'll have very few defensive worries IMO.

+1

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 02 Mar 2010 11:15

One interesting fact is we have three other "first choice" keepers in the football league

Ben Hamer , 22, Ok currently on our bench but was 1st keeper in league 2 team of the year last season.
Alex McCarthy, 20, in England U21s on the basis of his form at Yeovil. Media again are full of praise.
Mikkel Anderssen, 21, getting rave reviews at Bristol Rovers, also an U21 international see http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/88884-will-andersen-stay/%20(http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/88884-will-andersen-stay/)

Now you could argue not all of these will make it, but the fact that they have pinned down a football league jersey at such a young age suggests that with experience they will do well in their careers.

We obviously can't keep them all, especially as A Fed is only 25. I would expect hammond to be licking his lips at the moment, but if someone comes in for Fed his errors and this army coming up behind him is sure to linger in Nickys mind. As an ex GK and our ex GK coach, hes sure to have an opinion on which one we doesn't want to sell!