F A Cup Nostalgia

Thankgodisfriday

Re: F A Cup Nostalgia

by Thankgodisfriday » 26 Feb 2010 18:39

George bloody Duck how he got 3 goes at the penalty was beyond me... also lost Dave Moreline with a bad injury and he was never the same player again....I l hadto to leave early at Barry Town as they started throwing rocks stones and lumps of coal (during a miners strike) the police just laughed at us..when we asked for help.
The Hereford special train was great as i was only 15 and it seemed like a really big match and occasion...thank god I grew up and got my priorities straight.Man U at home was a good one although I had to be given a ticket by Radio Berkshire.......the vouchers that had been given out in the program were un numbered and easily photocopyable ,phoned up the radio and got on air in a discussion with John M,it really was run as a tinpot outfit then

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Feb 2010 19:42

The 4-1 defeat to Swansea in 1980 springs to mind. Anyone remember the jog back to the station after the game?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Feb 2010 20:03

Terminal Boardom The 4-1 defeat to Swansea in 1980 springs to mind. Anyone remember the jog back to the station after the game?

I remember we had great support that day. Stuck in a corner at the old Vetchfield. I was 14 and thought this is really what the cup is all about didn't realise 4th round apperances would be as rare as rocking hoarse crap for the next 30 years!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Feb 2010 20:03

Taken from The Guardian:

Wealdstone 2 - 1 Reading 1977-78 second round
Nobody gave the Southern League part-timers a chance of beating Fourth Division pros Reading, even on a pudding of a pitch and under forbidding skies at their atmospheric old Lower Mead ground. The Stones had beaten Third Division Hereford 3-2 after a replay in the previous round, but Reading, managed by Maurice Evans and featuring a teenage Lawrie Sanchez, would surely be too strong? I was selling raffle tickets that day and with over 7,000 in the ground you could barely see over the heads of the crowd jammed up against the railings. Only a few minutes had been played when, from my vantage point, suddenly the ball appeared in the top corner of the Royals' net - straight from a corner. The taker, now buried under a sea of bodies, was 20-year-old Keith Furphy. The son of former Watford manager Ken Furphy, Keith had been highlighted on ITVs The Big Match some 10 years before when the show tracked down the blond ballboy who had been leaping about behind the Watford goal when Barry Endean's header beat Liverpool in an FA Cup quarter-final. They found the boss's boy! Now here he was, making his own slice of Cup history by putting the skids under Reading. Victory was sealed in a heart-stopping second half when Wealdstone's record goalscorer George Duck put away a penalty at the third attempt. Reading pulled back a goal through Ray Hiron but the Stones hung on. It was my own teenage dream when we drew a plum third-round tie at my other favourite side, QPR, but Wealdstone froze on the day and were beaten 4-0. I spoke to Lawrie Sanchez about a year ago and he was taken aback to be asked about that long-ago Cup tie. 'Blimey, most people ask me about my Cup-winning goal for Wimbledon, or Northern Ireland's win over England. All I can remember is squeezing into the little ground, tucked away behind the cinema in Harrow, and a policeman saying to Maurice Evans: 'Big crowd today sir,' and Maurice replying: 'Well, it's the FA Cup.' And then the policeman said, God bless him: 'What, are they presenting it today?' I don't think he was a football man, that copper. Tim Parks

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 20:32

Coincidently, didn't we draw Wealdstone in the FA Cup another time around then too?

I recall a George Duck at Elm Park and IIRC a 1-0 win to Reading (with a possible Robin Friday sending-off????)....could be the alcohol addled mind playing tricks............but possibly a 10% chance of it actually being fact

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 26 Feb 2010 20:57

AthleticoSpizz Coincidently, didn't we draw Wealdstone in the FA Cup another time around then too?

I recall a George Duck at Elm Park and IIRC a 1-0 win to Reading (with a possible Robin Friday sending-off????)....could be the alcohol addled mind playing tricks............but possibly a 10% chance of it actually being fact

Wealdstone was 85/86 (won 1-0). IIrc it was Vinny Jones' debut

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 21:01

wolsey
AthleticoSpizz Coincidently, didn't we draw Wealdstone in the FA Cup another time around then too?

Wealdstone was 85/86 (won 1-0). IIrc it was Vinny Jones' debut

nah...big up to you.....but it was a long time before then

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Feb 2010 22:04

1977/78?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 22:10

Terminal Boardom

1977/78?
sounds about right TB

Remember being in the Tilehurst end waiting for the rout that never happened

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Feb 2010 22:19

We beat Wealdstone 1-0 in 76/77, defeated W*combe in the second round 2-1 at Loakes Park only to lose 1-0 at Hereford as mentioned elsewhere.

1977/78 saw us beat the shite 3-1 at Elm Park only to lose to Wealdstone 2-1 in the second round.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 22:21

Thanx TB

76/77 it was then...guess I've not drank enough tonight yet 8)

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 26 Feb 2010 22:44

Reading 2-0 Hereford. Senior,Horrix. 1983.

Just because it was my first game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 27 Feb 2010 06:21

To tidy up the Wealdstone-based theme, here are the details:

20th November 1976
F.A. Cup 1st Round
Reading 1 (Murray)
Death, Peters, Henderson, Nelson, Bennett, Moreline, Murray, Hiron, Friday, Stuckey, Cumming
Wealdstone 0
Att: 5791

17th December 1977
F.A. Cup 2nd Round
Wealdstone 2 (Furphy, Duck)
Reading 1 (Earles)
Death, Peters, Lewis, Bowman, Hiron, Moreline, Earles, Nelson, Kearns, Cumming, Bennett
Att: 3800

16th November 1985
F.A. Cup 1st Round
Reading 1 (Horrix, pen)
Wealdstone 0
Westwood, Peters, Richardson, Beavon, Hicks, Wood, Burvill, Horrix, Senior, Bremner, Gilkes
Att: 7169

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 27 Feb 2010 06:26

Ark Royal
wolsey Memory failing me then, but he did play for Hendon at some stage didn't he?

From one aged anorak to another - Who scored Hendon's goal?

Played for Southend, Millwall, Bath City, Wealdstone, Dagenham, Harrow, Hendon and scored 66(!) goals for the Stones in the 73/74 season. I will check out the Hendon scorer.

Cannot find the Hendon scorer, but here are the other details:

22nd November 1975
F.A. Cup 1st Round
Hendon 1
Reading 0
Death, Lenarduzzi, Moreline, Cumming, Barker, Youlden, Stuckey, Carnaby, Murray, Hiron, Whitham (Peters)
Att: 3500