Stupid Rules

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Stupid Rules

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Mar 2010 18:01

What is it with the law in this country? Loads of people buying bootleg scarves with reading and Villa on and the stewards telling kids that they should either remove the scarf or cover up in case it causes a problem. What kind of frigging country do we live in

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Stupid Rules

by Royal Lady » 07 Mar 2010 18:18

eh?

Do you mean the stewards meant there'd be a problem with fighting as Villa fans would know they're RFC fans and vice versa? Where did that come from? If that's the case the club had better stop selling replica shirts. :roll:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Mar 2010 19:39

Do you mean the scarfs that had Reading and Villa on the same scarf?

Kids being told to cover up the Villa bit if they were going in the home end? Seems a fair enough warning to me, plenty of times showing the opposition colours leads to a bit of abuse if not more

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Mar 2010 19:58

Southbank Old Boy Do you mean the scarfs that had Reading and Villa on the same scarf?

Kids being told to cover up the Villa bit if they were going in the home end? Seems a fair enough warning to me, plenty of times showing the opposition colours leads to a bit of abuse if not more

Telling kids to cover up? Are you for real? I thought this was a civilised society. The biggest cup game Reading has seen for many years and the stewards start throwing a wobbly.

There were loads of people wearing them. What was the reason for the reaction? Because the football club oxf*rd up again and missed a massive trick in sorting the merchandising out AGAIN! Anyone with half a brain cell would have recognised that the scarves were joint. Oh. I am talking Reading fans here :roll:

FTR, how many European games have there been where these split scarves are sold? What about the split badges sold for specific games? Doesn't this pose an identical risk? oxf*rd, badges should be banned because someone could be stabbed or blinded by the pin. GET A FRIGGING GRIP! This is Berkshire, not Afghanistan!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Mar 2010 21:37

Its the the stewards fault though is it?

Fans kick off at times when they colours on display where they shouldnt be. You would hope they wouldnt with kids, but where would you draw a line as a steward? The kids dad might have got into bother because of it perhaps?

I remember a few years ago the young mong looking kid in an arsenal or liverpool shirt almost getting a kicking in the east stand concorse

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Mar 2010 21:38

Wearing a shirt is one thing. Wearing a scarf with both sets of colours another.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2010 21:55

I surprised anyone was stupid enough to buy one. Why get a scarf with some shitty Villa colours on it FFS?!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 Mar 2010 22:00

Terminal Boardom What is it with the law in this country? Loads of people buying bootleg scarves with reading and Villa on and the stewards telling kids that they should either remove the scarf or cover up in case it causes a problem. What kind of frigging country do we live in

Well, I've seen kids given abuse by "grown" men at football matches before, so I don't blame the stewards taking a cautious approach. In the second year in the Prem I saw a Man City fan, probably about 13/14, get chased a long the concourse for daring to wear a City shirt.

Blame moronic football supporters, not the stewards.

FLTLR
Location: RG1, but occassionally RG30 and then sometimes RG41

by FLTLR » 07 Mar 2010 22:45

DON'T BUY TAT FROM PIKEY TRADERS WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH READING FC

Those scarfs were a rip of and a con. Anyone who bought one is a MUG who has lined the pockets of some East-End Gangster Crime-Lord. Well done, hope you feel happy for yourselves.

ONLY BUY OFFICIAL CLUB MERCHANIDISE FROM THE MEGASTORE OR REPETIABLE OUTLETS. Only got yourselves to blame otherwise.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 07 Mar 2010 22:59

Terminal Boardom What is it with the law in this country? Loads of people buying bootleg scarves with reading and Villa on and the stewards telling kids that they should either remove the scarf or cover up in case it causes a problem. What kind of frigging country do we live in

As the Reading stewards aren't members of the Legislature, Judiciary or Executive of this country, I can't quite see how their behaviour means there is something wrong with the law.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Mar 2010 23:44

Thought the stewards were very good today. Friendly on the door and never even bothered to pretend to ask us to sit down.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2010 09:41

Ian Royal Thought the stewards were very good today. Friendly on the door and never even bothered to pretend to ask us to sit down.

Agreed, for the abuse they quite rightly get at times they deserve a bit of credit for the way they handled most of yesterday. It helped create some level of atmosphere at a historical day for the club.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 Mar 2010 09:56

They were probably instructed to ease off on the supporters standing. I felt sorry for the female steward who got hurt in the bundle with the Villa? supporter at the bottom of Y26 at the end. Clearly in some distress at getting hurt stopping that tw@t getting to the Reading support.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Mar 2010 10:21

Ah - well that's different then - I agree with the question of what is the point of these scarves? Why would you want Villa on it anyway - if it was a special semi final one - had we got there - I could "sort of " understand. But the quarter finals?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2010 12:13

royalexile They were probably instructed to ease off on the supporters standing. I felt sorry for the female steward who got hurt in the bundle with the Villa? supporter at the bottom of Y26 at the end. Clearly in some distress at getting hurt stopping that tw@t getting to the Reading support.

I didn't see what happened down there. Was it a Villa fan from the away end, or one that started celebrating having been in the East Stand?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Mar 2010 12:52

Royal Lady Ah - well that's different then - I agree with the question of what is the point of these scarves? Why would you want Villa on it anyway - if it was a special semi final one - had we got there - I could "sort of " understand. But the quarter finals?

First quarter final in 83 years though. I can understand it as a souvenir. Saw several kids with them on.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Mar 2010 13:00

Ian Royal I surprised anyone was stupid enough to buy one. Why get a scarf with some shitty Villa colours on it FFS?!

Do you refuse to buy programmes because it mentions the opposition on the fornt cover?

FFS, 83 years the club has waited i bought one for a souvenier. I stopped short of wearing mind. Got a problem with that? Got half a dozen from big European games, maybe i should burn them because Reading aren't on it :roll:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Mar 2010 13:16

Tony Le Mesmer
Ian Royal I surprised anyone was stupid enough to buy one. Why get a scarf with some shitty Villa colours on it FFS?!

Do you refuse to buy programmes because it mentions the opposition on the fornt cover?

FFS, 83 years the club has waited i bought one for a souvenier. I stopped short of wearing mind. Got a problem with that? Got half a dozen from big European games, maybe i should burn them because Reading aren't on it :roll:

And this is my point! I dn't rcall there being much agro in the stands when dozens of these style scarves are visible.

There has been a fair bit of comment about standing areas and some clubs looking at unsegregated seating in certain area of a stadium - Donny Rovers for example. Joint scarves is a positive move n my mind. It gives supporters a chance to show that they are human and not rabid animals spoiling for a scrap. But no. Just another example of treating all supporters as thugs.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 Mar 2010 13:38

Maybe the unofficial merchandise was meant to remain hidden due to TV cameras. :roll: A little tightwad of the RFC brand but then again the same occurred in the promotion season. It sometimes makes me wonder why the club do not seem to want to produce pin badges, flags or other memorabilia for such an occasion.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 09 Mar 2010 01:31

royalexile Maybe the unofficial merchandise was meant to remain hidden due to TV cameras. :roll: A little tightwad of the RFC brand but then again the same occurred in the promotion season. It sometimes makes me wonder why the club do not seem to want to produce pin badges, flags or other memorabilia for such an occasion.

I'd suspect that the hassle of arranging them doesn't bring enough money in.

I've had badges made up, and it takes about 3 weeks to get them from China. We had just 10 days between beating West Brom and the Villa game. Would have been nice, but alas, not enough time to I think. I'd have quite liked a little match badge from then.