No more music after goals please

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

No more music after goals please

by Big Foot » 11 Mar 2010 13:24

Last night was the closest I can imagine getting to being a 50 year old, in a half empty nightclub with one of your favourite songs on. But, instead of hearing the song to make you think of how happy you feel, it depressingly makes you realise how empty and rubbish your existence is as you sip that next sip of whiskey to ease the pain.

So, I'll ask nicely - "Back the boyz" - no more music after goals please. We want to be able to celebrate without being drowned out by music from the darts or Tom Hark or Mike and the Mechanics.

AF2

Re: No more music after goals please

by AF2 » 11 Mar 2010 14:14

'greed

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Mar 2010 14:20

thirded! bloody dreadful music as well.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 11 Mar 2010 14:20

What a sterile football supporting expierence it must be

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Mar 2010 16:22

It's a Bit of a cheesy laugh but I don't see how it takes away from anything?

More to the point it lasts for about 30 seconds if that.

Really don't see the issue...

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 11 Mar 2010 16:25

IMO, they start it too late. Goal should go in, be given, and music should start almost immediately, if they are going to use it.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 11 Mar 2010 16:29

Big Foot wrote:
Back the boyz" - no more music after goals please

I would rather see the Back The Boyz PA announcer banned.... he does pi** me off before the game and again at half time.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Mar 2010 16:59

Wimb It's a Bit of a cheesy laugh but I don't see how it takes away from anything?

It's just wrong.

As much as it pained me to see those first 3 goals go in for Villa last week, it was refreshing to see a whole stand go nuts celebrating without the interference of music.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 12 Mar 2010 18:04

Big Foot
Wimb It's a Bit of a cheesy laugh but I don't see how it takes away from anything?

It's just wrong.

As much as it pained me to see those first 3 goals go in for Villa last week, it was refreshing to see a whole stand go nuts celebrating without the interference of music.

'greed.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 13 Mar 2010 02:27

Big Foot

It's just wrong.

It went down a storm after Long's 1st goal against Villa
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xchrfp_shane-long-s-1st-goal-reading-vs-as_sport
Was pathetic against Derby though.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Mar 2010 11:52

Apart from the fact that it's naff, patronising, American-inspired idiocy? We seem to have an utterly self-absorbed, attention-seeking PA announcer who's clearlya failed radio DJ and is trying to compensate by being an utter kunt at a football ground every Saturday.

I bet he can't even pronounce his Ts the dwad.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Mar 2010 18:29

Gloria Gooner IMO, they start it too late. Goal should go in, be given, and music should start almost immediately, if they are going to use it.

I would argue quite the opposite. If they are going to force it on us, it is better that they do it as at present i.e. give us a bit of a chance to celebrate and chant before playing the music.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Mar 2010 18:33

I was in B&Q today and thanks to the goal music I knew we was 2-0 up, 20% off a pallet of compost, result

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2010 20:48

I stand up... go mental whilst holding in my bodily fluids........refusing to do the two-legged dying ant thing whilst the "erhem", music plays

I remain standing...hands in pockets...until they announce the goal scorers name.......I clap.........I sit down

I'm with Twiggy Foot on this one

......unless of course it is something unique like Terry & June

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Mar 2010 21:12

Gloria Gooner IMO, they start it too late. Goal should go in, be given, and music should start almost immediately, if they are going to use it.

You have to be kidding? Music is bad enough, but to drown out the cheers with it would be criminal. Waiting until the cheers have all but stopped is the only way to do it.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Mar 2010 22:32

Dunno why it matters, to be honest.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2010 12:54

I was talking to a real militant supporter last week, who reckon that music after goal is just another way that the football authorities are trying to impose control onto football crowds and to sanitise and gentrify them.

In the old days, when a goal was scored that's when there was the most celebration and the most banter/abuse directed at the other set of supporters.

But by giving supporters some music and effectively telling them the "approved" way of celebrating a goal that takes all that spontaneity away.

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 14 Mar 2010 13:06

^ This is the way I see it.

Now most of the crowd seem to wait for the music as their cue to celebrate. Yes there's an initial cheer as the goal is scored, but it all whimpers off and I'm left standing there on my own while everyone else is doing the 'arm actions' in a uniform manner...give me an away match any day. It's all too happy clappy and institutionalised.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 14 Mar 2010 13:08

Dirk Gently I was talking to a real militant supporter last week, who reckon that music after goal is just another way that the football authorities are trying to impose control onto football crowds and to sanitise and gentrify them.

In the old days, when a goal was scored that's when there was the most celebration and the most banter/abuse directed at the other set of supporters.

But by giving supporters some music and effectively telling them the "approved" way of celebrating a goal that takes all that spontaneity away.

I think that's a kind of left-wing radical opinion - the sort of thing you could imagine Rik from the Young Ones saying.

I've no idea when they started goal music. The first I can remember was at Oldham in 1994, blaring out "I feel good" the moment the ball hit the net. It all comes down to naff "stadium entertainment" ideas that some for some unknown reason seem to think we need. All supposed to make coming to the game a better experience.

I've never known of any time at all when anyone anywhere has complained about the crowd reaction after goals, so it seems remarkably unlikely that it's part of some plan to stop fans celebrating how they want. I just think it's purely down to the DJs at the clubs these days getting ideas above their station and thinking they really are providing entertainment. Is there any reason at all to play loud music right up until kick off, for example?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2010 13:11

Dirk Gently I was talking to a real militant supporter last week, who reckon that music after goal is just another way that the football authorities are trying to impose control onto football crowds and to sanitise and gentrify them.

I think that's a kind of left-wing radical opinion - the sort of thing you could imagine Rik from the Young Ones saying.

I agree it is an extreme view, but only by a little bit - I can certainly see some truth in it. These days so much of football organisation is about telling supporters (directly or indirectly) how to behave, rather than just letting them be spontaneous.