Dullest match you've ever seen Reading play in

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Dullest match you've ever seen Reading play in

by bigmike » 12 Mar 2010 08:14

The first match I saw reading Play in when I moved down from Scotland a draw against Cambridge... All that seemed to happen that day was every time Reading took a throw in the lanky ginger Cambridge striker stood in front of the reading player taking the throw in. I wonder what happened to that striker??? :wink:

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 12 Mar 2010 11:24

weybridgewanderer
robb the royal and i was late to my own party because of the bloody pitch invasion after the QPR game

Pitch invasion was afer the derby game

I don;t recall a pitch invasion after the QPR game. We were late leaving as they presented the trophy after that game and the players did a lap of honour

my fault, i was late to my own party after the Derby game then... damn that promotion!

MalcybabyRFC

by MalcybabyRFC » 12 Mar 2010 12:29

Wimb Hard to pick out just one,

But I remember a 1-0 win in the FA Cup first round win at home to Welling that was just so so boring.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/171101.html

Any others that stick out in your minds?

Last season, mid week against Wolves at home, we won 1-0 by an own goal scored in the first 5 mins or so. The rest of the game was just a blur (not due to the beer either) in fact the only real enjoyment was going top of the league that weekend as a result and heckling the travelling support :lol:

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 12 Mar 2010 12:41

Reading 0 - 2 Bolton... There were goals, indeed if i remember one was even rather good, but it was anti football from bolton and no football from reading, about 4 away fans, and it was dire.

There was a 0-0 against Wimbledon on boxing day a few years back that sticks out...

Frankly having watched Reading since 93 there must be loads of dull matches, so dull infact i cant remember them. 0-0 away to Forest was also very very very dull. Actually almost all LDV Van trophy matches (or whatever they were called then), think i remember playing Barnet infront 5 thousand or so at the mad stad... No wait there was a truly awful 0-0 against Watford at Elm Park...hmmmm

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 12 Mar 2010 12:42

Also i was at that Wolves game but was late and thus missed the goal, so imagine how i felt..Furthermore was that not the last time we won at home in the league before our run of death at home..?

statto

by statto » 12 Mar 2010 13:18

Two which spring to mind are a 1-1 against Stoke, It was freezing and we were sat in front of a right dick who thought he knew everything, and a 0-1 home defeat to Wimbledon where nothing happened apart from an up and coming youngster called McAnuff scoring.

They had 11 fans there, I counted.

I recalled a 3-0 defeat to Wimbledon on Boxing Day, not a 0-0.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 12 Mar 2010 13:33

like the man with the orthopedic shoe, i stand corrected....Ah ha.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 12 Mar 2010 15:04

Sarah Star I remember Coventry v Reading last year being the only match where the entertainment was slightly better than the game and that wasn't much better. Neither team wanted to score let alone win.

When I saw this thread this was the first game that came to my mind.

It was such an awful game and it was hard to believe we were going for promotion.

It also made me appreciate the Mad Stad. The Ricoh is too far from the pitch and a really soulless venue.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Mar 2010 21:17

I was there at Elm Park
Sarah Star I remember Coventry v Reading last year being the only match where the entertainment was slightly better than the game and that wasn't much better. Neither team wanted to score let alone win.

When I saw this thread this was the first game that came to my mind.

It was such an awful game and it was hard to believe we were going for promotion.

It also made me appreciate the Mad Stad. The Ricoh is too far from the pitch and a really soulless venue.

Did you ever see a dull match at Elm Park, 'I was there at Elm Park'?

tink

by tink » 12 Mar 2010 21:38

under the tin Wigan away (orange day)

We set out our stall to grind out a result, and did just that.
The highlight for the 5-6000 travelling Royals was the 30 or so Wigan fans who came onto the pitch at the end, wanting to take us all on.

That was one of the most enjoyable games i've ever been to! The atmosphere created by the orange masses was incredible. One of my favourite reading matches in terms of atmosphere. But the game itself was truly shocking.

Worst home game: Auto Windscreens v Leyton Orient - 1,500 in attendance. never seen the mad stad so empty and so quiet. it was eery.

Worst away game: Can't believe no-one has mentioned the 0-0 away to gillingham a few years back on new years day. i was at uni in canterbury at the time, and a bunch of old school friends came down from reading for a new years party, and then we all went to the game the following day. we missed our train so had to drive :S Got to the ground at 3.10 and it was driving rain and freezing cold. uncovered stand. i seem to remember the highlight was when a carrier bag got blown into the back of the net and the crowd went crazy. well, maybe not crazy, but you get the picture...

tink

by tink » 12 Mar 2010 21:41

worst friendly: away to millwall. i lived in camberwell at the time and braved the walk through lewisham to the new den, full of optimism as we were now a premiership team and the world was at our feet and we produced one of the most boring displays of football i'd ever seen. the highlight for me was when i spotted myself in a picture taken of the away fans. there were about 12 of us, so it wasn't hard...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2010 01:22

boxing day 0-0 against Luton - 1994? Jesus I was hungover, it was a dreadful game - there might have been a corner, but let's not get carried away.