Back from the game - Bristol

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Bristol

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Mar 2010 21:09

NR_Royal
Gordons Cumming Bristol City manager Gary Johnson:

"We didn't do enough to win the game. We didn't do enough to be unlucky.

"I think if Reading keep that going there's every chance of them putting enough points together to make a run for third place.

Comedy Gold. Johnson is wasted as a manager.

I was just about to post this here.

WHAT THE oxf*rd? 3rd?

Have you seen some of the strikers he has signed?!

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 13 Mar 2010 21:10

Personally I wouldnt think about the play offs but just enjoy watching good football again, like so many I'd given up hope that we would even be in the championship next season and its been so refreshing to enjoy going to games again. This feels like the old Reading where the fans got behind the team and generally you loved the football, so for Brian and the team I thank them for bringing back some pride to this club. As for today it was another good performance where I think we made them look bad, and we don't give enough credit to the players for the manner in which they took the game to them. Tabb was MOTM for me, all over the place and you are beginning to see why we took him on from Coventry. Long played his socks off in that lone striker role which isnt easy at all, but I think all the team played well. My only worry is that Kebe looked out of sorts on the left and I think he prefers playing on the right, although Jobi setup the first. I guess its a good problem to have.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 13 Mar 2010 21:11

One thing to add about today - the pitch was absolutely atrocious and it concerns me that we've got yet another game on Tuesday. At least there's no rugby on it until after the WBA game though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2010 21:17

T.R.O.L.I. One thing to add about today - the pitch was absolutely atrocious and it concerns me that we've got yet another game on Tuesday. At least there's no rugby on it until after the WBA game though.

Due to Global warming/climate change (and whatever other tax justification that they can try and throw at us), it is probably due to the late winter. Virtually all pitches are in the same state right now......so thankfully, it shouldn't be too much of an issue accross the division

....and besides......we seem to be adapting to it better than our opponents right now....yeehaaaa!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Mar 2010 21:21

TBH the ball bubbling all over the place make Kebe even more dangerous.

You could see the panic in the City players eyes.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Mar 2010 21:27

T.R.O.L.I. One thing to add about today - the pitch was absolutely atrocious and it concerns me that we've got yet another game on Tuesday. At least there's no rugby on it until after the WBA game though.

+1, said as much at the game. Think it was within the first minute long tried to take a touch and it bobbled and we lost possession and I had a rant at the state of it.

It happens every season now so whatever the groundsman is doing isn't working, far too much stress from the rugby nothing aimed at hime. Maybe we are going to have to keep relaying it after every winter or something, its disgraceful.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 13 Mar 2010 21:28

Royal Lady I don't know why people are getting excited about the Play Offs though, if we did the unexpected and actually won, who the hell would we have for our team next season - it's going to be difficult enough for us next year in the Championship - we're losing the backbone of our team, due to loans, I suspect Gunnar, Ingi, Matejovsky - at least - will be off and we have little to no money to spend on replacing the outgoing players. Don't mean to p!ss on your bonfire, but we've got to be a bit realistic!!

Worst post I have ever seen in the history of the Team Board

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Mar 2010 21:29

FiNeRaIn

+1, said as much at the game. Think it was within the first minute long tried to take a touch and it bobbled and we lost possession and I had a rant at the state of it.

It happens every season now so whatever the groundsman is doing isn't working, far too much stress from the rugby nothing aimed at hime. Maybe we are going to have to keep relaying it after every winter or something, its disgraceful.

Swansea have the same problem but it doesn't stop them from being the best passing side in the division.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Mar 2010 21:40

Jack Celliers
Royal Lady I don't know why people are getting excited about the Play Offs though, if we did the unexpected and actually won, who the hell would we have for our team next season - it's going to be difficult enough for us next year in the Championship - we're losing the backbone of our team, due to loans, I suspect Gunnar, Ingi, Matejovsky - at least - will be off and we have little to no money to spend on replacing the outgoing players. Don't mean to p!ss on your bonfire, but we've got to be a bit realistic!!

Actually i'd give that acclaim to you Jack. W@nk reply to some fairly raised points other people had also considered. Can't disagree with anything RL said there. We aren't getting to the playoffs so no one needs to think like that. Miles away from them.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 Mar 2010 22:52

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
PieEater I can't understand how Bristol are above us.

The league started in August, not the end of January.

The league started in August, we were still on holiday until November.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Mar 2010 22:53

Royal With Cheese The league started in August, we were still on holiday until November.

was November not the end of the pre season after the preseason preseason?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Mar 2010 23:51

FiNeRaIn
Jack Celliers

Actually i'd give that acclaim to you Jack. W@nk reply to some fairly raised points other people had also considered. Can't disagree with anything RL said there. We aren't getting to the playoffs so no one needs to think like that. Miles away from them.

I think there's no real chance of it either, but the facts are that if we were able to win our two games in hand, we'd only be behind 7th place Blackpool on goal difference.

Even the bookies seen to have taken notice. Coral have us as 8th favourites for promotion ar 11/1 (above sheff utd, coventry and Blackpool, for example) and 13th favourites for the drop.

Can't see it myself, and to be honest, I would want it either, but he fact is that we are in playing terms, much nearer a play-off team than a relegation candidate now.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Mar 2010 00:21

only thing i think that should of been done differently from todays game was to bring off sig and kebe after about 70 mins to rest them up for tuesday

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 14 Mar 2010 08:21

Just have to say I liked the "Bring on the Scousers" chant from Y25/26 - did make me chuckle, especially as the Brizzle fans had all but given up on their team by then.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 14 Mar 2010 08:25

'There must be a fire drill' as they started to leave early. Oh and a hearty lol at the Police spotters hoying a number of their support out of the crowd.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Mar 2010 09:20

Jack Celliers

:lol:

I didn't say we wouldn't get in the play offs - I was talking about if we WON them and went up. Anyone who thinks if that scenario occurred and we didn't struggle from day one, having lost the spine of our team and SJM not wishing to invest in any better players and pay the wages that goes with them is completely deluded. THAT is my point. I'd far rather we were top 8, and pushing for play offs for the next couple of years until we could find a buyer for the club and THEN go up, with at least some expectation of being able to compete.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 Mar 2010 09:48

Royal Lady
Jack Celliers

:lol:

I didn't say we wouldn't get in the play offs - I was talking about if we WON them and went up. Anyone who thinks if that scenario occurred and we didn't struggle from day one, having lost the spine of our team and SJM not wishing to invest in any better players and pay the wages that goes with them is completely deluded. THAT is my point. I'd far rather we were top 8, and pushing for play offs for the next couple of years until we could find a buyer for the club and THEN go up, with at least some expectation of being able to compete.

Sorry RL - I just don't understand where you're coming from.
Are you saying that SJM will essentially sell the likes of Church, Sig, McEnuff, take the 40 million in TV money and replace them with, say, acadamy players?

I'm not sure even he'd be stupid enough to do that.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Mar 2010 10:04

I think SJM will invest as much as is necessary to retain the existing squad but no more than that, he will also be a bit meaner on wages and contracts than last time round as he'll feel we overextended last time.

So, at best, we'll have this squad plus a couple and that would be nowhere near good enough. So, yes, essentially, we'll take the money and take our chances with the squad we have and, in all probability go down - a richer side.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Mar 2010 10:09

Jack Celliers

Get real.

I nominate Flash's "come on Barnsley, i'm going to boo Mcdermott until he's gone" post.

Most egg on face in the history of HNA

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 Mar 2010 10:12

Schards#2 I think SJM will invest as much as is necessary to retain the existing squad but no more than that, he will also be a bit meaner on wages and contracts than last time round as he'll feel we overextended last time.

So, at best, we'll have this squad plus a couple and that would be nowhere near good enough. So, yes, essentially, we'll take the money and take our chances with the squad we have and, in all probability go down - a richer side.

Interesting. I suspect we would buy but would be in a similar vein to the Bikey/Cisse/Kebe type players.

I think as a provincial side we need to make sure the acadamy is able to attract the best young players from around the surrounding area. If we go up and back down a richer club then hopefully we'll be in a better position to return to the top flight in the future. I'm not sure we can hope for anything better fo the forseeable future.