No more music after goals please

Russell Street

Re: No more music after goals please

by Russell Street » 14 Mar 2010 13:26

And while they are not actively telling us how to behave when a goal is scored, I'm sure they are quite happy to give full co-operation with the latest approach, after all it's not hurting anyone. But it's just so Americanised, and sanitary. It really detracts from the fun and passion for me.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Mar 2010 14:43

No music when Man United score at home, I note.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Mar 2010 19:02

Row Z Royal No music when Man United score at home, I note.

Maybe all those who object to music at Madejski should go to OT then?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2010 19:11

West Stand Man
Row Z Royal No music when Man United score at home, I note.

Maybe all those who object to music at Madejski should go to OT then?
yeah....let's all join the pilgrimage from Guildford

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 15 Mar 2010 11:12

Tbf I did notice Juve using some awsome, slow, full band version of the Final Countdown after each goal they banged in against Fulham.

The darts music is a total joke. It's just another kick in the balls for proper football fans, same all over the country.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Mar 2010 12:01

Russell Street And while they are not actively telling us how to behave when a goal is scored, I'm sure they are quite happy to give full co-operation with the latest approach, after all it's not hurting anyone. But it's just so Americanised, and sanitary. It really detracts from the fun and passion for me.
You wanna sit next to me more often m7. I nearly got your arms moving at one point! :wink:

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Mar 2010 13:06

I hate it. I remember Sunderland was the first place I heard music after a goal. "I feel good" By James Brown. Thankfully they had the good sense to drop it as have most Prem clubs.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Mar 2010 14:49

I can live with goal music. Tom Hark never upset me.

This darts music though? Total gash. Oi oi fecking oi.

Terry and June please

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 16 Mar 2010 10:28

I don't really want to hear any oi oi oi-ing at all tonight, if you don't mind.

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 16 Mar 2010 14:59

Let's hope Oi Oi Saveloy doesn't attend then.

yappy

by yappy » 16 Mar 2010 16:35

Geez, what a bunch of moaners we have.

Not everyone will like goal music, but it does have its appeal, particularly with younger supporters. It gives them a chance to be involved a bit more. Big men jumping around making gestures to opposition fans isn't exactly welcoming for our younger supporters.

Besides there's plenty of time to celebrate in your own way, the music doesn't come on for 15-20 seconds after a goal, then its only on for 20-30 seconds, then you can have all the banter with the opposition fans as you like.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Mar 2010 17:32

Oh great more inclusion for kids.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 16 Mar 2010 17:57

yappy Geez, what a bunch of moaners we have.

Not everyone will like goal music, but it does have its appeal, particularly with younger supporters. It gives them a chance to be involved a bit more. Big men jumping around making gestures to opposition fans isn't exactly welcoming for our younger supporters.

Besides there's plenty of time to celebrate in your own way, the music doesn't come on for 15-20 seconds after a goal, then its only on for 20-30 seconds, then you can have all the banter with the opposition fans as you like.

What about those of us who want to celebrate a goal with passion and not give a fukk about the away fans or indeed any shit "banter" which ensues??

I want to be able to go mental when Reading score without goal music and without giving out shit Soccer AM style crap to the away fans - what do you suggest for me?

yappy

by yappy » 17 Mar 2010 17:07

Big Foot

What about those of us who want to celebrate a goal with passion and not give a fukk about the away fans or indeed any shit "banter" which ensues??

I want to be able to go mental when Reading score without goal music and without giving out shit Soccer AM style crap to the away fans - what do you suggest for me?

As I said the music doesn't come on for at least 15-20 seconds after a goal is scored, you've got that time then, and then after that you don't have to join in with the music. Its not ideal, but you can't please everyone. If you really want to go bonkers after a goal, go to an away match!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Mar 2010 18:17

How patronising.

When I was a kid, the thing I loved about Elm Park was that I was a child in an adult environment, and no concession was made to youngsters in the crowd. The rawness is what drew me back time and time again. I didn't turn up to my first game and think "this is ok, but it could be improved by some music after each goal, a bloke dressed up in a lion costume and a moron on the PA imploring me to make more noise". Why do you think we need organised idiocy to appeal to children?

yappy

by yappy » 17 Mar 2010 20:16

Jerry St Clair

How patronising.

When I was a kid, the thing I loved about Elm Park was that I was a child in an adult environment, and no concession was made to youngsters in the crowd. The rawness is what drew me back time and time again. I didn't turn up to my first game and think "this is ok, but it could be improved by some music after each goal, a bloke dressed up in a lion costume and a moron on the PA imploring me to make more noise". Why do you think we need organised idiocy to appeal to children?

There's not going to be one universal answer. Some people enjoy the goal music, some don't. Football matches can be an intimidating place for young people, and small things like people dressed up in lion costumes, and goal music can help ease younger people into supporting Reading. It might not work for everyone, but it does work, almost every club in the country does the same!

To be honest I don't really see the big fuss about music when goals are scored. Its only a bit of fun, I don't really see why people take it so seriously.

Nobby

by Nobby » 25 Mar 2010 22:13

Dirk Gently I was talking to a real militant supporter last week, who reckon that music after goal is just another way that the football authorities are trying to impose control onto football crowds and to sanitise and gentrify them.

In the old days, when a goal was scored that's when there was the most celebration and the most banter/abuse directed at the other set of supporters.

But by giving supporters some music and effectively telling them the "approved" way of celebrating a goal that takes all that spontaneity away.

Your 'real militant supporter' friend sounds like a paranoid nutter.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Apr 2010 20:10

Highlight of today?

Jimmy Kebe's goal and that godawful music being pretty-much drowned-out with people signing his name

tink

by tink » 05 Apr 2010 22:29

The music after goals should most definitely go. It's tacky and cringeworthy and IMO makes it look like we can't even celebrate a goal without prompting from the PA. I know that as football fans go, reading aren't necessarily the loudest and most passionate bunch of supporters as a whole, but do we really need music to "enhance" our celebrations.

I think not. Cheering seems to have worked for a long long time. I don't see what music adds to the occasion.

Moan over.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 06 Apr 2010 08:39

AthleticoSpizz Highlight of today?

Jimmy Kebe's goal and that godawful music being pretty-much drowned-out with people signing his name

+1,000