52%
No
48%

Total votes: 77
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Automatic promotion next season?

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 19:27

A fit Armstrong would be a superb addition to our starting line up. Personally I think he's better than Bertrand. Don't expect to see him make a come back though.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 Mar 2010 19:39

I think we can go up next year. Also think Gunnar is a good person to keep on for one more season...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Mar 2010 19:41

106 plus or nothinggggggggggggg.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 28 Mar 2010 19:45

I think Bertrand has come of age recently. In fact it happened to coincide with Brian Mac getting the managers job.
When Brenda was in charge Bertrand was average at best and I actually wondered what he bought to the team.
Recently he has been superb, apart from his defensive duties, he has been running at defenders through the midfield and giving us another attacking option.
I think he will be difficult to replace.
As much as Stretch is a solid defender he is not an attacking full back. That aside of course he will have missed a couple of seasons and will probably struggle to get up to full fitness.

If Bertrand returns to Chelsea, In my opinion the club will have difficulty replacing him. :cry:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Mar 2010 19:49

The question is "Could we go for automatic promotion". I answered YES. If you are entering a competition you should do so with the intention of winning it.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 28 Mar 2010 21:41

Terminal Boardom The question is "Could we go for automatic promotion". I answered YES. If you are entering a competition you should do so with the intention of winning it.

But we never really set out to win the premier league did we...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 21:53

Terminal Boardom The question is "Could we go for automatic promotion". I answered YES. If you are entering a competition you should do so with the intention of winning it.

You should do so with the intention of performing as well as you can. That isn't necessarily winning it, because everyone doesn't start on a equal level.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Mar 2010 22:06

Ian Royal

You should do so with the intention of performing as well as you can. That isn't necessarily winning it, because everyone doesn't start on a equal level.

Without wanting to appear pedantic, everyone starts on 0 points, but I do see your point.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 22:12

Terminal Boardom
Ian Royal

Without wanting to appear pedantic, everyone starts on 0 points, but I do see your point.

the pedantic bit kinda misses the point, but I'm pleased you get it despite that.

by 1960 » 29 Mar 2010 11:15

I didn't see the Saints final, but on the SSN highlights they said that Antonio played well. Is he still ours? If so, another forward to consider.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Mar 2010 11:57

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe 106 plus or nothinggggggggggggg.
Plus no screw ups at home to Plymouth and away to Luton.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 29 Mar 2010 13:34

:|

What does "go for" automatic promotion mean? Try to win enough games to finish in the top 2? Yes, I think we can try to do that.

I don't understand why people talk like this, as if your season goals make any difference to anything. Supposing BMD thought auto promotion was beyond us, do you think that means he wouldn't "go for" it? Maybe lose a couple of games on purpose so we didn't accidently creep into the top 2?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Mar 2010 13:43

I think it can have a psychological effect though, can't it? I reckon Gary Johnson's days were numbered at Bristol City from the moment he heralded an early-season short run of form with the statement that they should accept nothing less than automatic promotion. That's got to play on people's minds, hasn't it, especially when results start going against you? That's why I hope there is none of this talk from the club itself. Let's see where we finish this season and try to build on that.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 29 Mar 2010 15:32

CMRoyal I think it can have a psychological effect though, can't it? I reckon Gary Johnson's days were numbered at Bristol City from the moment he heralded an early-season short run of form with the statement that they should accept nothing less than automatic promotion.

Interesting (and timely enough) --I wasn't aware

So in making a bold and direct statement about automatic promotion, Johnson thus placed himself on double secret probation

Biscuit

by Biscuit » 29 Mar 2010 16:06

I think an important point in this debate is the quality of teams likely to come down from the Premier League. With the financial situation of a lot of clubs approaching meltdown, next season could be the first for a while without any real yo-yo clubs. For that reason, it would be much better to see Hull get relegated than West Ham.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Mar 2010 18:17

Biscuit I think an important point in this debate is the quality of teams likely to come down from the Premier League. With the financial situation of a lot of clubs approaching meltdown, next season could be the first for a while without any real yo-yo clubs. For that reason, it would be much better to see Hull get relegated than West Ham.

Or both. West Ham are allegedly in danger of near guaranteed administration should they be relegated. As are Hull.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 29 Mar 2010 18:31

1960 wrote:

didn't see the Saints final, but on the SSN highlights they said that Antonio played well. Is he still ours? If so, another forward to consider.

Still ours and, yes, scored a sweet goal to boot. I dare say Pards will have been on the 'dog and bone' to Brian already.