Simon Church

222 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Simon Church

by PEARCEY » 30 Mar 2010 18:47

Compo's Hat Thought Church didn't do a job of holding up the ball Saturday compared to what Long was doing, feel he cost us in other ways as WBA were allowed to crank up the pressure because of it.

We were under more pressure before he came on.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Mar 2010 18:49

loyalroyal4life
Still Hate Futcher! I'm not Church's biggest fan but he's done ok, especially considering this is his 1st season at this level. He works hard and although he doesn't look a natural finisher his goalscoring record's not bad at all. He gets caught offside more often than Nicky Forster but other than that he's coming along fine.

I'd be more than happy if we started nexted season with Long, Church, Rasiak and a fit again Hunt as our 4 strikers - given our chronic lack of attacking options pre-Christmas, it's somewhat surprising that a forward isn't a top priority any more!

Well he cost us 3 points on saturday (yes i know he was not the only one) but having seen his chance it was a 'golden opportunity'

So why did he specifically cost us "two" points when as you appreciate two others missed similar gilt-edged chances?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Mar 2010 18:50

Wycombe Royal
specialjon Talking about when he has scored goals is better evidence, than when he nearly scored and winning penalties. So talk him up, talking about his goal against derby and his great finish against sheff wed.

I'm sorry I didn't realise that the only attribute strikers needs is to score goals.

On Saturday he got himself a goalscoring chance within seconds of coming on, something which Long failed to do for the entire first half and nearly all the second half. If you can get yourself in to positions to getchances then you will score, but you won't score every chance.

As for winning the penalty, it was a great piece of individual skill to turn the player and get in to the box and there is every chance he would have scored had he not been brought down.

However I must remember we can only talk about goals. :roll:

Agree with you Wycombe.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Mar 2010 18:52

Compo's Hat Thought Church didn't do a job of holding up the ball Saturday compared to what Long was doing, feel he cost us in other ways as WBA were allowed to crank up the pressure because of it.

The ball wasn't knocked to his feet that often. On othger occasions he was flagged off-side in what seemed borderline decisions. He lost every single ball in the air though. He really needs to work on this part of his game.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 30 Mar 2010 19:16

My thoughts on Simon Church...

His movement is very good. The nature of his play means that he will be offside more often than most strikers, but to be so close to the line can only be a good thing - it results in the one on one chances he keeps on getting. I can remember when we first got into the premiership and I was convinced that at least half of the goals we were conceding were offside. I would then go home, watch MOTD and realise that the run had just been timed to perfection and I can see this from Church on a good day.

My concern is that his composure is a little bit lacking at the moment. He has scored some great instinctive goals (most notably that one against Sheffield Wednesday) and puts away poacher efforts. It seems to be when he has a bit of time to think that he comes unstuck. This will improve with age, or even when he just puts a couple of one on ones away.

I also think he is a little hard done by playing in a 4-5-1, it's not quite right for him and suits Long's new found physical presence much more. As I've said on a previous thread, I prefer a 4-4-2 but I think it suits the team more to have a 5 in midfield. Can hardly complain that we don't create enough chances at the moment!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Mar 2010 22:15

Interesting how 6 months ago BR was ridiculed for playing 1 up front at home. One difference being now that Sig is playing as the link between the midfield and lone striker. Another being that we don't ponce about on the ball at the back for half an hour before playing a forward pass.

I still think there are too many being over critical of young Charlotte. Give him another 12 months before having a pop.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Mar 2010 22:18

Terminal Boardom Interesting how 6 months ago BR was ridiculed for playing 1 up front at home. One difference being now that Sig is playing as the link between the midfield and lone striker. Another being that we don't ponce about on the ball at the back for half an hour before playing a forward pass.

I still think there are too many being over critical of young Charlotte. Give him another 12 months before having a pop.

Young Charlotte's goal-scoring record is on a par with Noelle's and I can't remember too many nobbers saying Noelle was a crap striker before he got injured.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Mar 2010 22:34

Terminal Boardom Interesting how 6 months ago BR was ridiculed for playing 1 up front at home. One difference being now that Sig is playing as the link between the midfield and lone striker. Another being that we don't ponce about on the ball at the back for half an hour before playing a forward pass.

Difference being we now have a solid defence, a capable central midfield pairing and forwards who are scoring. Rodgers tactics made to actually work by someone competent.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Mar 2010 10:01

i tyhink its just how we set out.

with BR we passed teh ball around slowly until we lost it in th emiddle somewhere
now we play with urgency, and its all about getting the ball into the danger areas quickly, and thats why it works

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 31 Mar 2010 17:28

I don't want us to persevere with Church: I do not believe he will improve significantly, but that he will continue playing the way he does now. Some people on this thread seem to think the way he plays now is good enough, quoting certain statistics. But I feel he misses too many goals and that this has always been a feature of his play on loan as well. I would like us to sell him and get someone with a better shot on him. I think he would do better in a lower division, as Kevin Lisbie has done after Charlton persisted with him overlong because of his good awareness.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 31 Mar 2010 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2010 17:32

facaldaqui I don't want us to perservere with Church: I do not believe he will improve significantly, but that he will continue playing the way he does now. Some people on this thread seem to think the way he plays now is good enough, quoting certain statistics. But I feel he misses too many goals and that this has always been a feature of his play on loan as well. I would like us to sell him and get someone with a better shot on him. I think he would do better in a lower division, as Kevin Lisbie has done after Charlton persisted with him overlong because of his good awareness.

Well I think you're completely wrong. He was accused of not being a goalscorer at the start of the season and already has a very acceptable haul under the circumstances. The reason he misses a fair few is often that he hasn't quite struck the ball cleanly enough. That is something that comes with confidence and matches. He also offers a hell of a lot more than just goals. I think he's got a pretty good future ahead of him and we'd regret letting him go easily now.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 31 Mar 2010 17:50

Ian Royal
facaldaqui I don't want us to perservere with Church: I do not believe he will improve significantly, but that he will continue playing the way he does now. Some people on this thread seem to think the way he plays now is good enough, quoting certain statistics. But I feel he misses too many goals and that this has always been a feature of his play on loan as well. I would like us to sell him and get someone with a better shot on him. I think he would do better in a lower division, as Kevin Lisbie has done after Charlton persisted with him overlong because of his good awareness.

Well I think you're completely wrong. He was accused of not being a goalscorer at the start of the season and already has a very acceptable haul under the circumstances. The reason he misses a fair few is often that he hasn't quite struck the ball cleanly enough. That is something that comes with confidence and matches. He also offers a hell of a lot more than just goals. I think he's got a pretty good future ahead of him and we'd regret letting him go easily now.

Totally agree ^^^^

what_wind_turbine?

by what_wind_turbine? » 31 Mar 2010 17:57

See Simon Cox ^

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Mar 2010 18:01

According to Wiki they actually have similar records at this level.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 31 Mar 2010 18:14

what_wind_turbine? See Simon Cox ^

Great HNA moniker by the way.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Mar 2010 20:14

ZacNaloen According to Wiki they actually have similar records at this level.

8 goals in 13 starts + 11 as sub vs 8 goals in 20 + 8.

Church has the disadvantage of playing for us of course, but he's also scored a few by accident!

Still a decent return by Church, and better than I'd expected of him but he still doesn't quite do it for as a regular goalscorer.

I think Cox will consistently out score Church, and think he's also the more creative player, but Church can still do a job. But is that job one we have in mind for our side? Who knows!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Mar 2010 20:21

^ Yep Church has been playing in a struggling side for half a season whereas Cox has been in a stronger side...it does make it easier for Cox I think.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 31 Mar 2010 20:32

The thing that concerns me more than the opportunity he missed, is the fact that he contributed nothing and it felt like we were playing a man down.

Consistently offside and never challenging for the ball. Then Rasiak came on and it was like we had 9 men on the pitch.

Im not usually a Long fan but his contribution and effort has been worth more than Church and Rasiak put together recently.

A decent striker to partner Long is needed for next season - Noel maybe that man.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Apr 2010 09:59

Basingstoke Royal The thing that concerns me more than the opportunity he missed, is the fact that he contributed nothing and it felt like we were playing a man down.

Consistently offside and never challenging for the ball. Then Rasiak came on and it was like we had 9 men on the pitch.

Im not usually a Long fan but his contribution and effort has been worth more than Church and Rasiak put together recently.

A decent striker to partner Long is needed for next season - Noel maybe that man.

except he wasnt offside for about three of the decisions, and the very fact that he was on their shoulders ready to go kept their defence holding back.
and rasiak won more in the air than long had for the previous twenty minutes

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 May 2010 01:55

So a very good first full season from Churchy.

10 league goals in 22(14) games.

12 goals in 27(15) overall.

Oh and have a lol viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93871&start=160&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=simon+church

222 posts