Back from the game Ipswich (A)

sawyers left arm

Re: Back from the game Ipswich (A)

by sawyers left arm » 04 Apr 2010 13:46

Glad you got chucked out hate smokers thinking they can smoke where they want, smacks of arrogance

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 04 Apr 2010 13:50

Avon Royal
Free speech is one of the basic human rights, and that includes the right to offend and to be offended.

Yes and no, because human rights would also suggest you have the right to be free from distress and that right should be upheld within reason. To be honest I don't see what singing songs about dead prostitutes has to do with football, Reading FC or Ipswich FC so to be honest so why the need to sing about it or chant it at football match is beyond me. You wouldn't go through the streets of Ipswich shouting about it so why inside a football stadium?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 04 Apr 2010 15:19

sawyers left arm Glad you got chucked out hate smokers thinking they can smoke where they want, smacks of arrogance

:lol: at this - another one of the anti-smoking fascist brigade :roll:

A warning should suffice - and then if people continue to break the rules then ejection should follow.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Apr 2010 15:23

sawyers left arm Glad you got chucked out hate smokers thinking they can smoke where they want, smacks of arrogance

Agreed. I don't want someone else's smoke damaging my lungs - if they want to smoke they can do so where it affects no one else but themselves.

I even get wound up outside the mad stad when you are walking through the crowds and people are smoking in front of you - does my nut in.

Its a stupid thing to do, it serves no purpose other than to kill yourself so fvck off and don't do it near anyone else.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Apr 2010 16:31

Avon Royal
RobRoyal
Avon Royal Glad to see that free speech is alive and well in Suffolk. Do Leyton Orient still kick people out for singing about Jack the Ripper?

Wow, as smart as ever Avon. Do you actually believe that freedom of speech exists, or should do?

Free speech is one of the basic human rights, and that includes the right to offend and to be offended.

He aired his right to free speech, and the authorities at the ground have their right to eject anyone behaving in a way they don't like.

Cuts both ways.

Suck it up motherlicker.

working class hero

by working class hero » 04 Apr 2010 17:04

I don't think there is a basic human right 'to offend'.

Unless there is another allowing me to punch the offender in the face.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 04 Apr 2010 17:42

Avon Royal

Oh no it doesn't.........

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without censorship and/or limitation. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

and here is an example for you.........

In the first case of its kind, a Port Vale fan who took part in a chant describing Oldham as a "town full of Pakis" was told that his language was racially offensive contrary to the 1991 Football (Offences) Act.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 40974.html

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Apr 2010 18:04

FiNeRaIn

Agreed. I don't want someone else's smoke damaging my lungs - if they want to smoke they can do so where it affects no one else but themselves.

I even get wound up outside the mad stad when you are walking through the crowds and people are smoking in front of you - does my nut in.

Its a stupid thing to do, it serves no purpose other than to kill yourself so fvck off and don't do it near anyone else.

This annoys me. Is drinking heavy amounts of alcohol not exactly the same?

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 04 Apr 2010 18:08

FiNeRaIn

Er..!!!! Bloody hell....

For a start the smoke will do no damage to your lungs at all if you catch an occasional whiff, indeed even if you catch more than that it wont do you any harm. And that is a FACT, look it up if you dont believe me, only PROLONGED passive smoking does you harm - over years...Drinking is also a stupid thing to do and kills you does it not? And being near somebody who is drunk is much more annoying than somebody that smokes, and potentially much worse for you if you say the same thing... You cant ban people from smoking in the open air, despite the desperate aims of the big brother labour government its still a relatively free country....Who are you to tell me where i can and can not smoke, unless im in your car or your house....

You do seem to get very angry about things finerain - voting UKIP?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Apr 2010 18:09

I think his point is, drinkers only get to drink their own drink

Everbody gets a bit of a smokers cigarette

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 04 Apr 2010 18:12

AthleticoSpizz I think his point is, drinkers only get to drink their own drink

Everbody gets a bit of a smokers cigarette

Yes, i realise that, and everybody gets some of the effect the drink has had on the person by his or her actions....and the smoke does NO harm to you at all...

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Apr 2010 18:13

bigshaka'away' Er..!!!! Bloody hell....

For a start the smoke will do no damage to your lungs at all if you catch an occasional whiff, indeed even if you catch more than that it wont do you any harm. And that is a FACT, look it up if you dont believe me, only PROLONGED passive smoking does you harm - over years...Drinking is also a stupid thing to do and kills you does it not? And being near somebody who is drunk is much more annoying than somebody that smokes, and potentially much worse for you if you say the same thing... You cant ban people from smoking in the open air, despite the desperate aims of the big brother labour government its still a relatively free country....Who are you to tell me where i can and can not smoke, unless im in your car or your house....

So why do you smoke?

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 04 Apr 2010 18:20

FiNeRaIn
bigshaka'away' Er..!!!! Bloody hell....

So why do you smoke?

Habit, and also to relax....bit like drinking really.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Apr 2010 18:22

I recall a few smokers on HNA? saying that they would smoke in the Madstad regardless, , it sounds like RFC did the sensible thing and made it possible to smoke, at least for home fans, I assume away fans at the Madstad are sensible enough not to smoke in the ground, however, I do think all smokers should have the chance to enter a smoking area.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 Apr 2010 18:33

I smoke but i had to lol at the tw@t who was smoking week in Y26 in the FAC WBA game.

At least respect those around you when you know full well you should not smoke within the closed confines of a stadium. Getting kicked out for smoking when you cannot wait for full time is a little sad really.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Apr 2010 19:21

When you buy a ticket to a football match, you also accept a contract which includes agreeing to be bound by the ground conditions. This includes agreeing that the stadium authorities have the right to eject you if you don't abide by those ground conditions.

In any, as a football ground is, legally, a private place, the owners of that ground - or their agents, working on their behalf - have the legal right to either refuse admission to anyone or to remove them from that location for whatever reason they like (unless that reason itself is discriminatory - e.g. grounds of race, sex, sexual orientation...)

It's arguable whether this is how it ought to be for semi-public, community-oriented places like football grounds, but that's the law as it currently stands.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 Apr 2010 19:27

Far Canal
Avon Royal

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without censorship and/or limitation. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".

In the first case of its kind, a Port Vale fan who took part in a chant describing Oldham as a "town full of Pakis" was told that his language was racially offensive contrary to the 1991 Football (Offences) Act.

Ah wikipedia, the fabled refuge of the intellectually bankrupt. :wink:

Free speech is a basic human right - the fact that in this country we are not always granted our basic human rights does not change this. There is a line, but it should not be drawn at causing offence. It should be drawn at the point that speech amounts to incitement to cause harm or violence to another. The right to life is over-riding to all other rights.

If someone is stupid enough to want to make racist, homophobic or any other comments that right thinking people would consider offensive they should be allowed to do so, and the rest of us should then be free to use our freedom of speech to condemn them in return.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Apr 2010 21:00

Did anyone actually see the match? It appear you were either smoking, chucked out because you were smoking or watching people being chucked out as they were smoking.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Apr 2010 21:18

Avon Royal
Far Canal
Avon Royal

Ah wikipedia, the fabled refuge of the intellectually bankrupt. :wink:

Free speech is a basic human right - the fact that in this country we are not always granted our basic human rights does not change this. There is a line, but it should not be drawn at causing offence. It should be drawn at the point that speech amounts to incitement to cause harm or violence to another. The right to life is over-riding to all other rights.

If someone is stupid enough to want to make racist, homophobic or any other comments that right thinking people would consider offensive they should be allowed to do so, and the rest of us should then be free to use our freedom of speech to condemn them in return.

Complaining about "basic human rights" for such pathetic things are the domain of truely ignorant and idiotic people.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Apr 2010 21:43

royalexile What was he kicked out for Troli. I missed that, other that seeing Handbags get removed just before HT.

Bit of a grey one to be honest. I actually walked out to prevent myself from being ejected and/or arrested. Stewards followed me (they really couldn't wait to assert their authority on all and sundry could they?), rozzers also. Rozzers took charge, took details outside the stadium, and let me on my way. Stewards outside (a particularly smug looking c*nt) informed the rozzers that it was an ejection, to which I objected and said I was walking anyway to prevent such an occurance. He said I would have been ejected at half time anyway, so I responded that it wasn't half time yet. Either way, I went back to the stadium towards the end of the game, after a period of reflection, to get the details of the officer in charge of the away end. I unfortunately didn't get the number and name of the steward who said that I was ejected. Anyway, I asked a couple of police officers when I went back whether I'd been ejected and they said no, three people walked (me, my brother, and floyd__streete). Whatever happens, I will never go back to Portman Road again because it's the same old problems every year there - stewards absolute twats who can't wait to get onto you. I fail to see why they needed a row of 12 stewards and 8 policemen at the edge of a set of fans who are probably in the top five best behaved away fans in the league for a start. Those stewards also clearly haven't a clue that maybe, just maybe, events on the pitch may annoy even the most mild mnnered of fan (of which I claim NOT to be). I really do wonder what they would be like with a crowd of 2000 Millwall, Leeds, Stoke, Cardiff fans - I fear Reading fans have been the victims of being seen as a soft touch again :|

Anyway, the game - even-Stevens until the red card. Bizarre yellow card for diving for what looked a clear penalty to me. Then the sending off, quite ludicrous in all fairness. I was annoyed that a foul had been given in the first place, and then the red card came out. Livid, utterly livid. Then two very soft goals IMO, a free header and then an outnumbering at the back post. Then the Sig booking, which was the straw which broke the camel's back, not because I didn't feel it was a booking (it was) but because a clear and similar attack-preventing foul on Brian Howard hadn't been punished with the same disciplinary action. I can't comment for the second half, because I wasn't there, and I don't care that I wasn't to be honest.