Rodgers on Goals on Sunday today

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rodgers on Goals on Sunday today

by The whole year inn » 11 Apr 2010 20:41

Ian Herring That's a great video.

Unfortunately the word that always comes to mind when listening to or watching Brendan is 'insincere'.

There's something very uncomfortable about him, as if he's way out of his league and even he knows it. You almost, just, almost, feel embarrassed for him. Borderline shifty.

Moyes looked suitably repressed. That manager 'code' that wouldn't go against the grain as in the 'closing of ranks' even amongst your lesser brethren. Fair enough, nowt wrong with that.

I just feel if Brendan accepted he might not be all he's been talked up to be and had a little shake-out with the notion of the word 'humble' he might make better use of his talents.

He's not a malicious tosser or an idiot. But he does seem to have some issues with how he perceives himself and the world. What's the contemporary term? Self-deluding, or something.

I hate Sky, but even their bods seemed to be deliberately treading on eggshells, as if they knew they had a 'fragile ego' in the studio for a while.

I even feel vaguely sorry for the geezer now, in some strange way.

Maybe he has a future career in sales, you often see characters like him in that desperate kind of world.

Agreed with shifty, a very odd man IMO

Footballs Barry George

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Apr 2010 20:58

I think he just had an over-inflated belief in his own abilities, and so wouldn't listen to anyone else who might have helped him be more realistic.

I've no doubt that with the right mix of players he'd be successful, but his biggest failing was that he tried to make the players fit his tactics, rather than playing the tactics that fitted the players.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Apr 2010 21:05

Dirk Gently I think he just had an over-inflated belief in his own abilities, and so wouldn't listen to anyone else who might have helped him be more realistic.

I've no doubt that with the right mix of players he'd be successful, but his biggest failing was that he tried to make the players fit his tactics, rather than playing the tactics that fitted the players.

Arguably we're playing much more attractive and effective football under Brian McDermott now rather than under Rodgers. I think he perhaps rubbed a few too many players up the wrong way rather than the tactics not suiting the players...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Apr 2010 21:12

Big Foot
Dirk Gently I think he just had an over-inflated belief in his own abilities, and so wouldn't listen to anyone else who might have helped him be more realistic.

Arguably we're playing much more attractive and effective football under Brian McDermott now rather than under Rodgers. I think he perhaps rubbed a few too many players up the wrong way rather than the tactics not suiting the players...

How did he do that? How about by ordering them to play tactics that they didn't undertsand or weren't capable of playing - and then dropping them if they spoke up?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 Apr 2010 21:19

Desperation.

Very embarrassing for Moyes ("gissa a job PLEASE David" was the subtext) and the interviewers and for anyone watching it. I felt really awkward. Unfortunately I think he's had it in football managment - at this level anyway.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 11 Apr 2010 21:21

There's a myth that's grown up about Rodgers, which he reinforced when he left, and which some people on this thread have subscribed to, that he tried to do too much too soon. He said when he left that if he'd realised he'd needed short term success he would have done differently. But if I remember rightly, he already realised half way into his stint that what he was doing wasn't working. Because he came out and said that we'd have to go back to basics: and that's what he tried to do. Dropping Cummings was part of that, I think. But he showed to Madejski and the fans that even when he knew we needed some short term results and had changed to a back-to-basics approach, he still couldn't succeed. He did manage to get the team creating more chances, I'll give him, that; but his forwards--including Rasiak, whom he signed--could not finish.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Apr 2010 21:24

He's not an idiot. Just very naive. He'll be succesful one day, but he could do with some time being a number 2 somewhere.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2010 21:36

winchester_royal He's not an idiot. Just very naive. He'll be succesful one day, but he could do with some time being a number 2 somewhere.

He's too lost in his own ego and perceived brilliance.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 11 Apr 2010 21:41

winchester_royal He's not an idiot. Just very naive. He'll be succesful one day, but he could do with some time being a number 2 somewhere.

No. 2 sounds about right :lol:

:oops:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 Apr 2010 21:56

winchester_royal He's not an idiot. Just very naive.

Oh, that's alright then.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 11 Apr 2010 22:07

I think he let too many players become overweight

I maintain that had a huge bearing on the number of late gaols we lost that cost us points

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Apr 2010 22:23

Man Friday
winchester_royal He's not an idiot. Just very naive.

Oh, that's alright then.

:|

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 12 Apr 2010 03:39

He needs to learn a bit more humility. From there he's in a position to watch what makes other managers successful and listen to the advice of others, instead of believing that his way of management is top class when it clearly isn't. I agree with others on here that he can make it as a manager some day. It was possibly too early in his career to come to Reading. Let him build from L2 and L1.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 12 Apr 2010 08:43

Way too inexperienced, sucked in the STAR superfans to the humble fans who were blinded by the tactics binder.

Impossible to say whether he'll make it in management.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Apr 2010 08:52

He's not even articulate IMO. Well, for a footballer he is, but not for a manager. He's certainly vocal but not eloquent. He didn't say anything insightful, just repetitive waffle. He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a senior position in my organisation. They'd see through the waffle and realise there's nothing else there. (Just like Moyes and the two others clearly do in that interview - it's written all overtheir faces.)

Thames

by Thames » 12 Apr 2010 09:11

Rodgers is a clueless twonk

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Apr 2010 09:22

MmmMonsterMunch He'll have to take a league 1 job I reckon. Can't see a CCC chairman taking a risk on him at the moment. Very naive to think he can just carry on regardless tinkering with the team week in week out with no thought for the consequences of losing every week.

Sorry but its a results business first & foremost. If he doesn't understand that then he better find a new career.

he can go back to watford after we beat them to seal their relegation

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Apr 2010 10:44

Big Foot

I think his tactics would have been wrong almost regardless of who he might have had in his squad and, to put it bluntly, Brendan will have a future in the game as and when he gets his head out of his @rse. I genuinely hope that day comes to pass.

There's no denying that we bought in some decent players when he was here but, just as our former chief scout had much to with the signings of players such as
Kevin Doyle, how much was Mat Mills becoming a Reading player also down to him?

Let's be honest here, we owe Brendan big time. Without the few months he spent floundering in the shallows like a beached whale what would have been the chances of us appointing the man who must be The Championship's discovery of the season :|

We might have gone to hell and back in 2009 but we're going to end up in better shape than most of us were expecting last summer with the very real prospect of an exciting 2010-11.

As a certain Jimmy Greaves used to say "It's a funny old game" :P

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 12 Apr 2010 14:53

I'm with you there - and I think his bravado was a show to cover up the fact that he felt a bit out of his depth. in time he'll turn out to be a very good manager or no.2, while we'll all be berating our next boss Kevin DIllon from the away end at Stockport

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 13 Apr 2010 08:07

I watched the part of him thats on skysports and it is different to the sun article.

has he backtracked or realised that he was just incompetant?