Club must save £4 million

276 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Club must save £4 million

by floyd__streete » 28 Apr 2010 14:11

That Friday Feeling
floyd__streete As stated on another thread, I expect very little incoming transfers this summer and potentially a few departures if the price is right; Mills, Sigurdsson, hopefully Federici! The target again next season mst be mere survival.

Your toast still falling butter side down then Floyd?

My toast is burned 8)

specialjon

by specialjon » 28 Apr 2010 14:12

Wycombe Royal So I don't this this news as a threat to our star players being sold, but more about shifting those higher earners who don't feature much (Matejovsky, Cisse, Mooney, Cummings, even Rasiak, as well as Ingi).

If this what happens, then I doubt there are many Reading fans whp would be that bothered. May leave us a bit low of variation of strikers but apart from that, fine by me!

The main problem is defence, I guess McD will be left with either playing Cummings, Pearce, Mills and Kelly or selling off a big assest and using that money to build a defence or another loany defence. The loany defence idea just means we'll have the same problem next season.

The Positive One!

by The Positive One! » 28 Apr 2010 14:19

Don't know if it would have helped but I and a number of other season ticket holders I have spoken to would have been happy to have kept the season tickets at the same price as last year if it meant we could keep the players! Just a thought.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Apr 2010 14:19

specialjon
Wycombe Royal So I don't this this news as a threat to our star players being sold, but more about shifting those higher earners who don't feature much (Matejovsky, Cisse, Mooney, Cummings, even Rasiak, as well as Ingi).

If this what happens, then I doubt there are many Reading fans whp would be that bothered. May leave us a bit low of variation of strikers but apart from that, fine by me!

The main problem is defence, I guess McD will be left with either playing Cummings, Pearce, Mills and Kelly or selling off a big assest and using that money to build a defence or another loany defence. The loany defence idea just means we'll have the same problem next season.

If this would be enough the club would be stupid to release a statement about needing to cut £4million. These measures were likely to be taken anyhow and this story is only going to raise speculation. Talking to the papers about it would make much more sense were it more of a warning about future sales :-\

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Apr 2010 14:22

We can't go into next season with that back 4.

Cummings/Kelly are not good enough and Mills needs another leader in there with him. Griff's arrival showed us how important character is to a back 4.

I know this hasn't come from an offical source. But are so shite at PR. I actually don't think it's as big a deal as some are making out. But I think that is down to the article being badly written as much as it is people over reacting...

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 28 Apr 2010 14:43

Is it just me or does £4million seem relatively low if we have £11 million less with no parachute payment?

What has struck me is the size of our squad when you look at how many we had out on loan we have a very large squad and I hope most of the cuts are made by cutting the squad size rather than selling the stars.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Apr 2010 14:44

I would not be completely surprised if we let Federici go if we were offered a sizeable fee. We have three very talented young keepers and we could give them all a chance and then decide the best one to step up. This is one area in which we are very strong - although having three very untested keepers at this level would be a risk.

specialjon

by specialjon » 28 Apr 2010 14:50

rhroyal If this would be enough the club would be stupid to release a statement about needing to cut £4million.

Indeed, but that hasn't stopped them from doing stupid stuff in the past :lol:

It could be a clever bluff so other teams don't hold us to ransom when we try and buy players off them? :?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Apr 2010 14:52

Federici??????????????????????????

Why is everyone talking about Federici???

I mean, I'm not slating him he's an ok keeper, but I wouldn't rate him up there with Sig in terms of greats at our club at the moment!

I reckon the journo read the Sig/Fed thread and took it seriously :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Apr 2010 15:03

i know i know

is it because there is rumoured prem interest at around 2 million pound?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Apr 2010 15:24

The Positive One! Don't know if it would have helped but I and a number of other season ticket holders I have spoken to would have been happy to have kept the season tickets at the same price as last year if it meant we could keep the players! Just a thought.

I have no doubt the club would be happy to take the same amount of money off you !!

Or you could buy a kid's season ticket and give it away to a youngster - boost funds, fill a seat and do someone a favour !!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Apr 2010 15:25

Jack Celliers
Royal Lady Exactly right Mad Dog's Ghost - because if we're selling off our best players - there's not a hope in hell of us competing with other teams and getting into the Prem. Speculate to accumulate is the old saying isn't it? And we haven't done that for the last few years.

Hull

Bad example. You don't have to spend squillions and I wouldn't want us to do that. But keeping hold of the likes of Gylfi should be a must.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2010 15:32

LMAO is this a joke? We sell like 20 million worth of players last season, absolutely slash our wage budget and the club are claiming we need to make more cuts? :lol:

georgerob

by georgerob » 28 Apr 2010 15:33

The club must of generated a substantial amount of money from the FA cup games, but where has that gone to.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Apr 2010 15:49

georgerob The club must of generated a substantial amount of money from the FA cup games, but where has that gone to.

It didn't generate that much.

I'm still in amazement that some people don't understand simple accounting. A business needs to have costs that are lower than it's turnover to break even.

Therefore if forecasted costs are £20m and forecasted turnover is £16m then it is pretty obvious what needs to be done.

It has nothing to do with cup money or other income streams that we may or may not get and it has very little to do with selling players. We are talking about recurring revenue and recurring costs.........

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2010 15:54

I'm just sick of this, just how bad did the " well run club" manage to fvck us up in the prem years that we are severely hurting ourselves now?

We need to be adding 3 defenders this summer as we have three loanees. Talking about needing to save money is not acceptable for a club that had parachute payments, two years of prem tv money, 20 + million worth of player sales and then completely ridding our team with everyone on prem wages bar a couple. It beggars belief.

Was thinking of renewing my season ticket over the summer after swearing I won't just before xmas, now the club starts making these noises. No chance.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Apr 2010 15:59

Just on the Fed topic, if anyone offered 2 million i would bite their hands off

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2010 16:03

FiNeRaIn LMAO is this a joke? We sell like 20 million worth of players last season, absolutely slash our wage budget and the club are claiming we need to make more cuts? :lol:

£20 million? Where did you get that figure from?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2010 16:05

FiNeRaIn I'm just sick of this, just how bad did the " well run club" manage to fvck us up in the prem years that we are severely hurting ourselves now?

The point is that being 'a well run club' we're actually looking to match up our costs to our turnover.

Following relegation and falling revenues since then we'll still need o cut costs a bit as we go, up until we get to a point where revenue starts to increase again (which basically will only happen when we get promotion again or can sell out the ground every week).

Well run just means that we don't accept making as significant a loss every year as all the other clubs out there.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Apr 2010 16:06

FiNeRaIn I'm just sick of this, just how bad did the " well run club" manage to fvck us up in the prem years that we are severely hurting ourselves now?

We need to be adding 3 defenders this summer as we have three loanees. Talking about needing to save money is not acceptable for a club that had parachute payments, two years of prem tv money, 20 + million worth of player sales and then completely ridding our team with everyone on prem wages bar a couple. It beggars belief.

Was thinking of renewing my season ticket over the summer after swearing I won't just before xmas, now the club starts making these noises. No chance.

This has nothing to do with the Premiership anymore. This is just adjusting the clubs cost base to it's current forecasted turnover so that it can break even.

It does not mean that we have to sell any star players or that we can't bring in new players. It just means that we need to cut annual costs by £4m. Obviously the main area for that is player wages, but we have a fairly large unbalanced squad at the moment with high earners who do not play.

We aren't in the Premiership so surely common sense says that ALL players on Premiership wages should be moved on?

The club can't magic extra turnover from nowhere and then when the club do do a marketing avenue to raise some extra revenue they get accused of fleecing the fans. You can't have it all ways.......

But I suppose we should just keep the costs high, get into debt and go into administration. THat is obviously the way fans like you want the club to be run.

276 posts