Fed in talks with Spurs

206 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Fed in talks with Spurs

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 11:49

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Would we get any of the keepers mentioned though? I don't even think Lewis is that good tbh. Ashdown is a fair shout, bout how would he take to playing week in week out again? It's been a long time. Plus I reckon a lot of clubs will be in for him, maybe even one of the promoted teams.

If we need to £2m then fair enough, much rather see Fed go than Sig or even Long. I just don't think there's a great deal out there that we could get. Like I said I actually think we'd take a risk on Hamer.

I don't think we'd be able to get any of those keepers no, apart from Lewis, who I agree might not be better over a whole season but is certainly his equal from the little I've seen. But I think we can probably get a better keeper than Federici, and I think it's something we'd need to do if we wanted to finish in the top 3 or 4 next season, ie be challenging for automatic promotion (which for the record I don't think is realistic at the current time - but might well be come August).

Good point on Ashdown though. He's never played a full season, and although I think he's got a lot going for him and appears to be the more steady and reliable type of keeper (a Hahnemann or Seaman rather than Federici or James), he may well find that difficult both physically and mentally. I doubt it though, but it could be a consideration.

I think he'll have a few offers too, and it's such a shame he left and has wasted a good few years of his career by sitting on the bench. Perhaps there's a lesson there for Federici too!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 May 2010 11:58

Agree big time on Ashdown. Think he would have played the promotion season and could have gone on to be an all time legend. Maybe he still could. Would be great to see another local lad in the team. Think Hamer's from Somerset or something, but I guess having 6 fingers can be handy when playing in goal.

I've been looking to get that one in for a while, sorry!!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 May 2010 12:01

Surely six-fingered people come from the West Country!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 12:08

SpaceCruiser Surely six-fingered people come from the West Country!

Where's Somerset Spaccy?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 12:16

Agent Balti Why single Hahnemann out?

For the same reasons I was happy for Murty to be singled out whether he qualified for a testimonial or not.

They both made huge contributions to getting this club to the top flight over many seasons, never gave less than 100% and in Hahnemann's case joined on such a meagre wage that Alan Pardew had to have it brought in line with the rest of the squad not long after he joined.

Unlike others, they only left when the club no longer wanted them and, once again in Hahnermann's case he is one of a few who can still command a starting place in the top flight............................it really would not have killed the club to have been more lavish in their praise of a player who had done so much for us yet was being unceremoniously shoved out of the door.

I believe the same could be said of James Harper. They were long serving players who were worthy of special praise even though it was time for them to go.............................it's another of those two way street situations.

We are not slow to jump on those who fail to justify their huge wages so it would be nice to see those who give the lions share of their career to this club and didn't demand mega bucks to join in the first place being sngled out for special praise.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 14 May 2010 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 May 2010 12:18

Hoop Blah

Where's Somerset Spaccy?

D'oh! For some reason I was reading "Hampshire". :oops:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 May 2010 12:24

Waits for TBM....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 May 2010 12:28

Messiah
Sydneyroyal Think Fed might be going from what has been said here in Sydney,
especially if he does well in the World Cup.
Can't see him being Spurs' first choice though.

Not really fussed if he stays or goes. He's an 'ok' keeper, but he has plenty of faults, and will be easier to replace than a Sigurdsson. If we get £2m for him, I'll drive him to White Heart Lane myself.

Calamity Gomes or calamity Federici. What a choice.

:roll:

Oh yeah, forgot, he cant dive down to his left!!

zummerset

by zummerset » 14 May 2010 12:38

Hoop Blah

Where's Somerset Spaccy?

Did someone say Zummerset?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 May 2010 13:07

Woodcote Royal
Agent Balti Why single Hahnemann out?

For the same reasons I was happy for Murty to be singled out whether he qualified for a testimonial or not.

They both made huge contributions to getting this club to the top flight over many seasons, never gave less than 100% and in Hahnemann's case joined on such a meagre wage that Alan Pardew had to have it brought in line with the rest of the squad not long after he joined.

Unlike others, they only left when the club no longer wanted them and, once again in Hahnermann's case he is one of a few who can still command a starting place in the top flight............................it really would not have killed the club to have been more lavish in their praise of a player who had done so much for us yet was being unceremoniously shoved out of the door.

I believe the same could be said of James Harper. They were long serving players who were worthy of special praise even though it was time for them to go.............................it's another of those two way street situations.

We are not slow to jump on those who fail to justify their huge wages so it would be nice to see those who give the lions share of their career to this club and didn't demand mega bucks to join in the first place being sngled out for special praise.

Sorry, I can't agree with you here. I believe we had the same scenario when Forster was due a contract renewal. Sentiment over a whopping contract which the club couldn't afford is just plain madness, imo. You say 'special praise' when you're really saying 'paying over the odds for contract that the club could not justify'.

If you're not meaning 'special praise' as taking financial benefit, then I really don't understand where you're coming from. Football is emotional to us, but a business to them. Fawning over players is a fans' right, for sure, but not Reading FC as an entity.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 13:09

And the irony is that Woodcote's case is he can't remember whether anyone said thanks to Marcus, not that it didn't happen !

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 May 2010 13:19

Sun Tzu And the irony is that Woodcote's case is he can't remember whether anyone said thanks to Marcus, not that it didn't happen !

...and whether they did or not, really, does it actually matter? I'm sure Marcus is doing quite nicely, ta.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 14 May 2010 13:38

Hoop Blah

Where's Somerset Spaccy?

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2010 13:42

Dickie's Spear Hope this is wrong, he is an excellant keeper.

:|

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 May 2010 13:55

floyd__streete
Dickie's Spear Hope this is wrong, he is an excellant keeper.

:|

Indeed, it's spelt E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2010 13:57

Take the money for a keeper who makes every save look harder than it is, has no footwork and can't come for crosses.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 14:02

Royalee Take the money for a keeper who makes every save look harder than it is

That's no criticism.

A save is a save and you don;t get more marks for making them look easy. As long as he makes the save then there is no issue.

The problem would be if didn;t make the save at all....

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 14:03

Sun Tzu And the irony is that Woodcote's case is he can't remember whether anyone said thanks to Marcus, not that it didn't happen !

Is your life really so empty that you feel the need to make things up in order to persue a largely pointless arguement? You are the one who can't remember, not me.

There was nothing more on Hahnemann's departure from the club other than his name being included in the list of those being released at the end of the season including a cursary note wishing all concerned best wishes for the future.

You clearly don't care................................partly, I suspect, because you think Federici is just as good and partly because respect for 3rd rate referees is what really floats your boat.

Either way, this doesn't make my opinion any less relevant than yours but if you could, once in a while, get your head of your backside you might come to realise that there is no need to highjack a thread just because someone expresses a view you don't happen to agree with.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 14 May 2010 14:05

Wow - never thought I would see the day that I would agree with Royalee but alas it has come.

Couldn't agree more... Feds = nice chap, decent keeper - nothing special - equal to or only slightly better than most championship keepers. Not even in the class of the likes os Speroni.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 14:10

Sun Tzu
Royalee Take the money for a keeper who makes every save look harder than it is

That's no criticism.

A save is a save and you don;t get more marks for making them look easy. As long as he makes the save then there is no issue.

The problem would be if didn;t make the save at all....

Which of course he doesn't on a regular basis.

Many of his supporters point to his 'world class' saves as evidence of how good he is, but he's a camera man's dream as a keeper!

206 posts