Fed in talks with Spurs

206 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fed in talks with Spurs

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 14:14

Woodcote Royal
I remember very little thanks from RFC when he left for a player who did as much for this club, if not more, than Graeme Murty.

I see you forgot what you wrote.

The fact that you can't remember an open top bus being laid on for Marcus is a very weak argument to say he was badly treated.

Sorry if you don't like people putting counters to your arguments. You are entitled to your view and you may wish to offer others the right to express their view, even if it differs from yours.

Glad to see you acknowledge your argument is pointless. You seem very wound up over it though.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 14:17

Hoop Blah
Sun Tzu
Royalee Take the money for a keeper who makes every save look harder than it is

That's no criticism.

A save is a save and you don;t get more marks for making them look easy. As long as he makes the save then there is no issue.

The problem would be if didn;t make the save at all....

Which of course he doesn't on a regular basis.

Many of his supporters point to his 'world class' saves as evidence of how good he is, but he's a camera man's dream as a keeper!

Marcus dropped plenty of clangers, Shaka was far from perfect. Fed seems to make his mistakes in pairs and made a couple of classics last season. But he's a decent keeper and if once in a while he is a bit flash it doesn;t detract from that. He rarely concedes as a result of trying to pull of the 'hard' save, his errors tend to be things like moving his weight too soon onto the wrong foot and being unable to change direction quickly.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 14:22

Sun Tzu
Woodcote Royal
I remember very little thanks from RFC when he left for a player who did as much for this club, if not more, than Graeme Murty.

I see you forgot what you wrote.

The fact that you can't remember an open top bus being laid on for Marcus is a very weak argument to say he was badly treated.

Sorry if you don't like people putting counters to your arguments. You are entitled to your view and you may wish to offer others the right to express their view, even if it differs from yours.

Glad to see you acknowledge your argument is pointless. You seem very wound up over it though.

What open top bus?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 14 May 2010 14:44

2 million for Fed would be a great deal for us. Plenty of decent keepers available at the moment (Jaime Ashdown springs to mind.) Unfortunately, 90%. if not all the cash would dissappear into the clubs coffers as that cloth gets cut smaller and smaller, but it might take the pressure off us selling other players.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 15:01

Sun Tzu Marcus dropped plenty of clangers, Shaka was far from perfect. Fed seems to make his mistakes in pairs and made a couple of classics last season. But he's a decent keeper and if once in a while he is a bit flash it doesn;t detract from that. He rarely concedes as a result of trying to pull of the 'hard' save, his errors tend to be things like moving his weight too soon onto the wrong foot and being unable to change direction quickly.

Do you think he's in the same class as Hahnemann or Shaka though? Seriously?

I don't think the other two made half as many mistakes or conceeded half as many goals where you just think a better keeper, in a better position, would've just kept out.

The camera saves are partly caused by his sometimes dodgy positioning and, as you rightly say, poor footwork and decision making. He makes the easier saves look harder than they are because he makes them harder. When he then gets a harder save to make those same tendancies (or weaknesses) make the hard almost impossible.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 14 May 2010 15:22

So is this true or just a smokescreen to discuss how we treated Marcus when he left?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 May 2010 15:31

Royalee Take the money for a keeper who makes every save look harder than it is, has no footwork and can't come for crosses.

I see your point most saves look like 1 for the cameras

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 15:32

Hoop Blah
Sun Tzu Marcus dropped plenty of clangers, Shaka was far from perfect. Fed seems to make his mistakes in pairs and made a couple of classics last season. But he's a decent keeper and if once in a while he is a bit flash it doesn;t detract from that. He rarely concedes as a result of trying to pull of the 'hard' save, his errors tend to be things like moving his weight too soon onto the wrong foot and being unable to change direction quickly.

Do you think he's in the same class as Hahnemann or Shaka though? Seriously?

I don't think the other two made half as many mistakes or conceeded half as many goals where you just think a better keeper, in a better position, would've just kept out.

The camera saves are partly caused by his sometimes dodgy positioning and, as you rightly say, poor footwork and decision making. He makes the easier saves look harder than they are because he makes them harder. When he then gets a harder save to make those same tendancies (or weaknesses) make the hard almost impossible.

No, I'd certainly put Marcus and Shaka in the top 3 of RFC keepers in my time. As you rightly suggest Fed isn't there yet, but he's high up - if only because he's playing at a higher standard than most of our keepers in the past.

He does make daft errors, but I think those get over emphasised. If he cut out the Palace / Burnley type clangers I think you would have a very decent keeper.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 15:48

Agreed, but that's a pretty big IF!!!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 15:50

Hoop Blah Agreed, but that's a pretty big IF!!!

Indeed !

IF he could do it I think he would be a very good keeper, probably playing at a level above where he is now. And of course for keepers where the employment opportunities are so restricted the fact that he does have a couple of games he season where he seems to just play with his eyes closed will limit his potential.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 14 May 2010 16:14

But it isn't just the buttery-palm clangers Feds makes that make me think this would be good for the club. He doesn't command the penalty area anything like as well as Marcus, is frequently poor with crosses and doesn't communicate with his defenders anything like enough.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 May 2010 16:20

There is about three other keepers that 'arry is looking at including Joe Lewis who as an England u21 International is unlikely to sign for Reading when Prem teams are sniffing around.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 May 2010 16:27

Fed is not that good. Does not command his area anywhere near enough and he is very suspect on long shots. We have able back up should he go. Alternatively, Lewis from the POSH would be an excellent replacement.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 16:34

The Surgeon of Crowthorne But it isn't just the buttery-palm clangers Feds makes that make me think this would be good for the club. He doesn't command the penalty area anything like as well as Marcus, is frequently poor with crosses and doesn't communicate with his defenders anything like enough.

Some of the biggest criticisms aimed at Marcus were that he didn't command his area well enough for a big guy and he didn't talk enough to his defenders !

yappy

by yappy » 14 May 2010 16:47

Marcus made many clangers in his first couple of seasons with us, yet he turned out alright in the end didn't he? Feds, in my opinion, has had a great first proper season with us and will continue to get better. Being a Championship club means we can't go out and splash on the finished product, and we have to be prepared to take certain risks with players and in my opinion Feds is a risk worth taking.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 14 May 2010 16:48

I seem to remember someone on here stating that, whichever club, most fans don't rate their own 'keeper as they all tend to remember the mistakes (which, being the keeper, tend to be far more costly than other players) and forget the decent work put it - & it's probably something I'm guilty of, too.
But, I didn't ever criticise Marcus for not bossing the area!

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 14 May 2010 17:26

Don't forget we have four goalkepers with first team league experience on our books - Federici; Hamer; McCarthy (England U-21 squad, don't forget,) and Anderrson, who Bristol Rovers seem to rate.

I suspect we'll have to let two of the four go - certainly can't keep them all happy, and need to reduce wage bill, etc.

specialjon

by specialjon » 14 May 2010 18:24

Terminal Boardom Fed is not that good. Does not command his area anywhere near enough and he is very suspect on long shots. We have able back up should he go. Alternatively, Lewis from the POSH would be an excellent replacement.

I'd be happy to be not that good, if it meant I could earn a good living from Football and maybe go to world cup.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 May 2010 18:28

Messiah
Sydneyroyal Think Fed might be going from what has been said here in Sydney,
especially if he does well in the World Cup.
Can't see him being Spurs' first choice though.

Not really fussed if he stays or goes. He's an 'ok' keeper, but he has plenty of faults, and will be easier to replace than a Sigurdsson. If we get £2m for him, I'll drive him to White Heart Lane myself.

Calamity Gomes or calamity Federici. What a choice.

You daft donut. Gomes was fantastic at the back end of last season. Feds also did well. Have you been on the sherry or summat?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 May 2010 18:35

Woodcote Royal
Frankly, I've got better things to do with my time than enlighten the thick and/or engage in utterley pointless arguements with those who have nothing better to do than spend their day on here.

I think Marcus could have been treated better, you don't....................deal with it.

You have to wonder why I dont answer the phone when you call. Still in future I wont know it is you calling as have deleted your number now. You could not enlighten anyone TBH, as you talk a lot of bollox a lot of the time. Go back to driving rich feck heads about. And sitting in the car park waiting for the team to be announced.

206 posts