Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

221 posts
Upper West Ginger

Re: Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

by Upper West Ginger » 08 Mar 2010 23:38

Bolton - the rest don't come anywhere close.
We finished second that season, and deserved to go up.
Failure against Walsall was unexpected, but somehow it didn't seem to matter as much.
Relegation at Derby certainly hurt, but we had all seen it coming for weeks.
Similarly the lingering death of last season's promotion hopes was all too inevitable.

Bolton - I still detest the town and it's football club. Doing the double over them in some style in 2007 was some small measure of revenge. Not that I harbour a grudge or anything ... :twisted:

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 09 Mar 2010 03:49

Upper West Ginger Bolton - the rest don't come anywhere close.
Failure against Walsall was unexpected, but somehow it didn't seem to matter as much.
Relegation at Derby certainly hurt, but we had all seen it coming for weeks.
Similarly the lingering death of last season's promotion hopes was all too inevitable.

Bolton - I still detest the town and it's football club. Doing the double over them in some style in 2007 was some small measure of revenge. Not that I harbour a grudge or anything ... :twisted:

I haven't been around long enough to have felt the gutting feeling from that Bolton match.

For me - it has to be the relegation from the Prem. 15 mins away from safety, and Pompey let a goal in... I don't harbour any bad thoughts for Fulham as I actually thought that they deserved it after the great run they had, but I hate Pompey with a passion.

Please note - I do not throw the H word around lightly.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Mar 2010 11:45

Reading 0-1 Norwich. Last game at Elm Park.

With everything else theres always the chance it could happen again but we'll never get another "last ever game" at that place again. Everything about the day was an absolute disgrace.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 09 Mar 2010 12:07

Vision Reading 0-1 Norwich. Last game at Elm Park.

With everything else theres always the chance it could happen again but we'll never get another "last ever game" at that place again. Everything about the day was an absolute disgrace.

We did have a reserve game or something a few days later, didn't we and managed to win that. Not the same, I know, but I'll scrape anything I can to remember Elm Park the proper way ;)

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 09 Mar 2010 12:25

Getting home from the Bolton game in my 35th year of being a Reading supporter and describing it as "the worst day of my life" to my wife who as per usual gave me no sympathy whatsoever was for some years my most gutting moment. That ended at The Walkers Stadium in 2006 - my dream of supporting a first division side had become a reality.

What happened on Sunday was gutting to say the least with the end of another dream. Leaving the Mad Stad having to listen to a load of Brummies celebrating was just awful. Deja vu you might say - remember Reading v Birmingham last season - another gutting moment. Have we seen the last of the 106 team Ivar Ingimarrson play his last game for Reading? If so, yet another gutting moment.

Will RFC ever do so well or better in the FA Cup in my lifetime? - who knows.

One thing is certain in my mind the current owner and his team do not think that the Premiership is a viable long term option for our club and all we can hope for is to be a good Championship side. In all honesty I tend to agree. Having made a lot of fuss about getting planning permission to extend the ground and then announcing even before we got relegated that it was not going to happen is now my most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

bassavage

by bassavage » 09 Mar 2010 13:44

Rotherham away 04/05. Tuesday night in March after we'd gone 11(?) games without a win but then had beaten West Ham the Saturday before. I think Rotherham had won 1 home game all season and were the worst team I've ever seen play.

They scored last minute and won 1-0.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Mar 2010 13:57

I'd argue with that - yes we finished second, but all the teams knew there was only automatic place and so they eased off as soon a they were assured of a play-off place.

I very much doubt we'd have come second if there were two automatic promotion places.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 09 Mar 2010 13:58

Sunday was very very gutting for me. I have a horrible knack of becoming very attached to things, including Reading, and to lose it like that was completely heartbreaking. I'd had an absolute skinful which didn't help things and received some bad family news about 5 minutes after the final whistle. All in all, not a very good day, and still feel a bit down now!

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 09 Mar 2010 16:19

facaldaqui Relegation in 1971. It was my first relegation; I was about 16 and had always supported Reading without it occurring to me that we could ever conceivably drop to the fourth division. For me Reading was a third division club to its core. I can't remember all the details, but unless I'm mistaken we went down on goal average, having never been in the relegation places all season. So it came like a thunderbolt. I was bewildered and disbelieving (I don't think we used the word "gutted" in those days other than for fish).

That disappointment numbed me for all the later ones, which I have taken fatalistically.

Just one own goal at Aston Villa(again!)did it on last game of the season.After whacking in the goals the previous season we had a Brendon Rodgers type start to the 70/71 and could not win a game until be beat Swansea 3-1 at home deep into the season.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Mar 2010 16:50

Dirk Gently

I'd argue with that - yes we finished second, but all the teams knew there was only automatic place and so they eased off as soon a they were assured of a play-off place.

I very much doubt we'd have come second if there were two automatic promotion places.

'greed, we were only safe of our place with a handfull of matches to go iirc. Then we went and had a great win at Brizzle and another great victory over CharLOLton (Lee Bowyer included) on the final day to seal second.

Great season, great way to start my life as a Reading fan.

Oh and in terms of an earlier comment about Sunday feeling like Bolton, of course it doesn't come close, but I had that same feeling of missed oppertunity and the what if's :(

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 May 2010 12:26

9 ruddy years ago today... Cardiff :| talk about deflating, not quite as gutting, but very very deflating day.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 27 May 2010 14:33

Vision Reading 0-1 Norwich. Last game at Elm Park.

yep that was a pretty shocking day

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 27 May 2010 15:10

For me it was watching the players lap of honour after the 08/09 season. You just knew it was the end of an era that will possibly never be surpassed.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 27 May 2010 17:56

Spending the afternoon in the 'Black Mariah' after some boisterous behaviour and having to hand over my hard earned a couple of days later on the say so of 'The beak', on a couple of occasions is quite gutting, believe me.

torbayroyal

by torbayroyal » 27 May 2010 21:50

Off the pitch

Dean Horrix Death

End of paul Cannovilles career

koran

by koran » 28 May 2010 01:44

Dirk Gently

That's what made it extra gutting. We finished second and in any other year (I think - any other year in the past!! We were the only team ever to finish second and not get promoted!!) that would mean top league football. But not in 1995! So - on the back of that disappointment - we go to Wembley and are 2-0 up and awarded a penalty. Surely we are there! But no! We were so tired by the end! Most gutting moment by a country mile!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 May 2010 08:32

koran
Dirk Gently

That's what made it extra gutting. We finished second and in any other year (I think - any other year in the past!! We were the only team ever to finish second and not get promoted!!) that would mean top league football. But not in 1995! So - on the back of that disappointment - we go to Wembley and are 2-0 up and awarded a penalty. Surely we are there! But no! We were so tired by the end! Most gutting moment by a country mile!

Read what I said... if it did matter that year (i.e. if there was promotion for the second placed team) then the other three teams wouldn't have eased off once they'd secured a play-off place. They'd have competed right to the end of the season and we'd probably not have finished second.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 May 2010 09:17

Dirkers have you really looked at the end of that season??

M'boro were only 6 points ahaead of the 6th place club, I think you might find it was a matter of bottling it under pressure, with two games to go, there was still a good chance that Barnsley could have caught any of the teams in the play-off places.

we were the form team, simple as, and deserved 2nd place, much as we did not deserve to go up two seasons ago, as we failed to beat Brum in the last game.

The reality was that there was only one place and everyone knew that,

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 May 2010 10:39

Harpers So Solid Crew Dirkers have you really looked at the end of that season??

M'boro were only 6 points ahaead of the 6th place club, I think you might find it was a matter of bottling it under pressure, with two games to go, there was still a good chance that Barnsley could have caught any of the teams in the play-off places.

we were the form team, simple as, and deserved 2nd place, much as we did not deserve to go up two seasons ago, as we failed to beat Brum in the last game.

Er, No.

Boro won the league with at least a game to spare. The top 5 was decided prior to the last game, and all teams in the play off zone rested up and only Reading won on the final day. From memory, we jumped 2 or 3 places with Adie Williams last minute winner v Charlton.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 May 2010 10:56

Tony Le Mesmer
Harpers So Solid Crew Dirkers have you really looked at the end of that season??

Er, No.

Boro won the league with at least a game to spare. The top 5 was decided prior to the last game, and all teams in the play off zone rested up and only Reading won on the final day. From memory, we jumped 2 or 3 places with Adie Williams last minute winner v Charlton.

memory plays tricks, after 45 games

Boro 81
Bolton 76 +22
RFC 76 +13
Wolves 75 +16
Tranmere 75 +9
Barnsley 72 +13

The promotion was won, but Wolves and Tranmere could have fallen out of the play-offs as well.

Last Day results

Boro 1 Tranmere 1

Reading 2 Charlton 1
Bolton 1 Burnley 1
Wolves 1 Swindon 1
Southend 3 Barnsley 1

With Swindon and Burnley fighting to escape relegation, with Bristol C still in with a chance of staying up, had they won and Swindon lost I think, or something like that

221 posts