Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Snowball » 16 Aug 2010 16:48

brendywendy
Jeffers217 I can take us being tight AS LONG as the club don't act like everything is rosey and that we are potential promotion challengers. I have the upmost respect for McDermott, that guy is superb but I have lost a tiny bit of respect for him praising our defence and saying it's been incredible WHEN DEEP DOWN he knows it's not good enough.

!

since its not always the money you spend that takes you up - see half the promoted teams since the prem began
and seeing as anyone can go on a run in this league and make the playoffs- see us nearly doing it last year, when only playing properly from february
then i dont think it follows that he is lieing when he says he has ambition to get us back up.and its possible to say we want to go back up, and we have no money at the same time.

& massive lol at criticising a manager for not telling his makeshift defence that they were awful- good man management there jeff.
tbf for bryn and pearce to play two games from start to finish and only concede 1 goal is a superb performance, and deserves all th epraise it gets

And, please note, Torquay won away in the league and have now gone NINE league games without conceding a goal

A 0-0
H 5-0
A 2-0
A 3-0
H 1-0
A 3-0
H 0-0
H 3-0
A 2-0

W7 D2 L0 19-0

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2010 16:53

Considering the amount of abuse Rodgers took on here for his cringeworthy spin, I don't think McDermott should be above getting pulled up on it either.

He's not Rodgers' league for it yet of course, but he's as bad as the next manager for giving it a bit of false optimism in support of is players (which is understandable).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 16:56

I wasn't implying that McDermott should tell his defence that they were awful at all- when did I say that he should have?! However, by publishing stuff in the papers that they were brilliant against Torquay when the majority of fans who went to that game said "after last nights showing, we are in DESPERATE need of a new centre back", in my opinion is just stupid.

same thing imo
what did you want then, him to pass no comment at all?
tell them they were great, but tell the papers they were awful?
& imo- them playing210 mins of football and conceding 1 goal was brilliant

Long is a very poor footballer in my opinion and as much as I like Howard, I don't think he has half the quality of some of the other central midfielders in this league. Basically what I am saying is that to get this Team promoted, the manager is going to have to perform miracles whereas Coppell didn't have to perform miracles with genuine quality such as Convey, Doyle and Sidwell.

but convey and doyle werent quality before that season were they, convey viewed as lighweight and inneffective at this level, doyler cost 78 k, so clearly had done nothing to merit the form he actually showed.
even sidders had been rleased by arsenal, and had loan spells in lower leagues, so was by no means assured of being one of the better players in this league

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Aug 2010 16:57

even sidders had been rleased by arsenal, and had loan spells in lower leagues, so was by no means assured of being one of the better players in this league

please tell me you don't believe that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2010 17:02

brendywendy but convey and doyle werent quality before that season were they, convey viewed as lighweight and inneffective at this level, doyler cost 78 k, so clearly had done nothing to merit the form he actually showed.

I thought you were laying off the acid!

Convey was a shinning light of the MLS and it took us forever to sign him, almost from under the noses of the previously interested Spurs.

Sidwell was very highly regarded as an up and coming Arsenal reserve/squad player, he just got impatient for a chance waiting behind some excellent first team players. He wasn't released, we paid a reasonable fee for him.

Doyle was a great gamble though!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 17:07

papereyes

please tell me you don't believe that.

for the sake of this argument i do. :lol:

i just mean when we brought him in, it was by no means guaranteed that he would become the best player outside the prem.
my only real point being that its always alot easier to judge squads with hindsight, rather than foresight.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 17:09

Hoop Blah
brendywendy but convey and doyle werent quality before that season were they, convey viewed as lighweight and inneffective at this level, doyler cost 78 k, so clearly had done nothing to merit the form he actually showed.

I thought you were laying off the acid!

Convey was a shinning light of the MLS and it took us forever to sign him, almost from under the noses of the previously interested Spurs.

Sidwell was very highly regarded as an up and coming Arsenal reserve/squad player, he just got impatient for a chance waiting behind some excellent first team players. He wasn't released, we paid a reasonable fee for him.

Doyle was a great gamble though!

some random midget yank?
some ginger arsenal reserve?

pfft

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 17:21

Stranded Apart from the first 20 yesterday, Forest haven't looked much cop this season IMO.

Stranded agree - and no doubt that little F*cker Davies will have something to suggest his team should have won if they don't..he is the second coming of Colin...never gracious in defeat or say anything positive about the opposition...in fact he may now be taking over the berth as the first Colin tbh !!!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Aug 2010 17:53

Whatever McD says publicly - if Sir John does not allow him to bring in another CB before the loan deadline I would be amazed and really wonder if a/he is on the verge of bankruptcy or b/ he has lost his marbles.

It would make no business sense on any level as far as I can see to persevere with just the three CB's we have - plus Gunnar as back up. The cost of a loan signing is not going to break the bank and it will cost the club far more money in the long run in lost ticket sales etc if they do not do so and we begin to struggle (which is all but inevitable judging by the first three matches of the season).

I (for example) attend every game that I possibly can, but because of business commitments which cause me to miss 6 or 7 matches a season I don't buy a season ticket. If we struggle as result of incredible shortsightedness then it would make me think twice about spending my hard earned money to attend every game that I can - which is what I do at the moment. I very much doubt that I would be alone and crowds would being to fall and we will go backwards as a club at an alarming rate.

So have some faith folks - I am all but certain that the CB problem will be resolved before too long.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 17:56

tbf if ivar is going to get back to fitness, and bryn is ok as back up i reckon getting another Cb in, apart from on loan is probably not sensible
if money is really as short as they say

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Aug 2010 17:58

brendywendy tbf if ivar is going to get back to fitness, and bryn is ok as back up i reckon getting another Cb in, apart from on loan is probably not sensible
if money is really as short as they say

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 18:01

just my opinion of course, and no real need for the incredibly witty internet picture, 3 1/2 Cbs is fine in these cash strapped times
id just prefer it if they werent the three we actually had :lol:
and i dont think there is any problem with saying, that if we are to get another, its propbably more feasible to do it on loan.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 18:08

Waiting for Madejski to say something like "if we had sold more season tickets, it would have freed up finances to make purchases...but hey-ho"...throwing it back to the fans

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 18:09

that will never happen, so i wouldnt worry

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 18:11

brendywendy that will never happen, so i wouldnt worry

brendy - its his way of deflecting the problem..and I bet you at some stage in this season, in a radio interview, he will make reference to season ticket numbers...so he will say it !

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Aug 2010 18:14

brendywendy just my opinion of course, and no real need for the incredibly witty internet picture, 3 1/2 Cbs is fine in these cash strapped times
id just prefer it if they werent the three we actually had :lol:
and i dont think there is any problem with saying, that if we are to get another, its propbably more feasible to do it on loan.

3.5 CB's may be fine for survival but not for a promotion chasing side. There was a time only a couple of years ago when we had 10 CB's on the books if I recall - not that all of them were very good!

2005/6 was incredibly lucky - how often will both first choice CB's play 46 games each!!!

If we assume that our first choice is Ingi and Mills - so far they have managed one appearance out of 6 possible. That is probably a more normal season than 2005-6.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2010 18:48

3.5 CBs is plenty, if those players complement each other. Ours don't really, which is why we need another.

Mills is the only one we have with any pace. Bryn and Ivar are aging and not to be relied upon to play to their level every game. Add to that Ivar is now struggling with injuries. Pearce is not hugely experienced, slow and clumsy.

We could really do with someone with pace who can play the ball short with a bit of composure. That way if Mills is out we don't have a really sluggish defence that's easily turned. And we spend less time bypassing our midfield with frustration hoofs because the mean old opposition haven't shown us an easy forward pass to pick.

This view is based on last season's performances btw.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Aug 2010 20:09

Silver Fox Don't know about 91 clubs, just enough to get us into the champions league places (where we'll only play german teams because they're the only ones run properly)

Reading vs Dusseldorf in the 2020 Champions League twin-town derby final, held at Withdean Stadium. IN.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Aug 2010 20:25

They clearly realise that the fans want a new CB because they keep reaffirming that there is no money.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 Aug 2010 23:52

rhroyal
Wimb
FiNeRaIn Well, the last bit of your post is wrong. The decision wasn't put to him to chose Reading or Forest, but im sure given the chance if both clubs asked again tomorrow he'd pick them. If i was a player, so would I. Forest > Reading in just about every way im afraid.

Madejski is dragging the club back and undoing all the hard work he's done in the last decade or so. We had an opportunity to establish ourselves as either a prem team or a " yo-yo club" like west brom. A club that comes down, still has players too good for this league and bounces right back. Instead we completely wasted our premiership money on absolutely nothing and bar a handful of good players, our team is WAY short of the standard required to bounce between divisions. We are worse off than when coppell took over after Pardew. But at least we have a decent media centre and a hotel, not the fact we have poor cover in defence and no proven goalscorers up front.

When sig goes in janury or the summer for 4/5 million. Expect a story like " this will cover the 5 million loss next season, none to be invested in the team", bla bla bla. No money available, bla bla bla.

Well run clubs find a balance between whats needed to make your club successful on the pitch whilst maintaining a solid financial state off it. Reading unfortunately concentrate completely on whats off the pitch and not on it - we are not well run.

Don't know how you can say we wasted a chance to be a Yo-Yo club when we gambled quite significantly on getting back at the first attempt. After relegation the only players sold were Kitson, Sonko and Shorey all three of whom wanted out and none of whom have set the world alight since their departure. We also resisted the urge to sell Harper, Marek, Doyle, Shunt, USA, Rosie, Lita and made significant six figure signings in the shape of NHunt and Armstrong. The size/quality of squad we had in 08/09 was EASILY good enough to get out of this league but bottled it at the crunch and couldn't get over the line despite Birmingham and Wolves begging us to take it. Although if we're being totally fair it wasn't Sir Steve's fault that NHunt, Ivar, Doyler got injured, Shunt got too big for his boots and the likes of Murty, Convey etc never really found form again. Madejski even backed SSC in bringing back Little and Kitson but it still wasn't enough.

All that wage expenditure meant that there was no way the club was going to be able to sustain that quality of team for last season but Rodgers was still allowed to being in Mills, Rasiak, Howard, Cummings and Brian was allowed to bring in Griff and Kizi on loan as well.

Onto this season and the fact is Madejski wants the club to run itself and be sound financially. You could call that a 'lack of ambition' but I admire the man for making a point of refusing to continually allow the club to run itself at a loss and just sink endless money into it. Despite everyone who whines 'Madejski out!' people don't seem to realise that there actually isn't anyone else to come in and pump money into the club and then we'd be even worse off then we are now.

I want us to sign a centre back sure, but I understand that to do so we sell first, possibly by getting rid of one of the countless forward players on our books to be able to afford it. BBC Radio Berks were saying on the radio this weekend that we have 28/29 players in our squad and to me it's the manager(s) fault for building such a forward heavy club. We have Rasiak, NHunt, Church, Long, HRk, Bignall, Kebe,McAnuff and Mooney all on the books who can play up front and we have Hamer, McCarthy, Fedders and Andersen all on the club as keepers. Now that's 12 players on the books when we play a system with 1 goalkeeper and 1 striker, so is it really the chairmans fault that the resources the club does have are being poured into those areas? It's been up to Hammond alongside the managers of recent seasons to try and balance the squad and so far we haven't got there yet.
Great post Wimb. Answer that "Madejski Out" imbeciles!
Problem solved. Only FineRain answers it, badly, by comparing us to Forest and Ipswich, 2 sides bankrolled. He also mentions Barnsley, who are spending far less on wages and can therefore spend £1mill on a player.

Everybody else avoids it. Just plain ranting and moaning. Stop moaning about JM unless you're willing to fight reason with reason. Unless you do this, I will be forced to conclude that myself and everybody who agrees with me on this issue is better than you.

Schards - This D-day you speak of could arrive for a number of clubs in professional football and I'm delighted to know we're not one of them. Out of interest; how many clubs realistically fighting for promotion are not either:

a) Bigger clubs than us with larger fan bases and hence, more resources
b) Bankrolled by a wealthy chairman
c) Risking their future.

There is of course the 4th way, gelling a brilliant team and playing beyond your means like Blackpool and Burnley. That's very rare for a club. We achieved it in 2006, it won't be so easy again.

723 posts