Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Ferris » 17 Aug 2010 14:43

Hi Snowball

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Aug 2010 14:46

Snowball Cups are more often than not "great levellers"

SEVEN CCC Clubs lost to lower-league opposition in the first round

Another seven scraped home by a single goal against lower-league "easy" opposition

There were just 5 "comfortable wins"

Top statting. When the first one is wrong, what's the point with even looking at the rest? :|

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 17 Aug 2010 15:02

Snowball I cited all the Championship sides in the round. What the hell is wrong with that?

If SEVEN CCC clubs lose to lower-level clubs IN A SINGLE ROUND (35% of the clubs) how is that selective or ignoring?

35% lost, 35% scraped home. Hardly suggest that the CCC routinely hammers lg 1 and Lg2 does it?

Unless this season is an extreme, random abberation

Just ONE round in ONE season. Just one. It's not going to change my mind, frankly.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Aug 2010 15:14

3 centre halves plus Gunnarsson will be fine, dunno what everyone's worried about.

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 17 Aug 2010 15:20

Cardiff are in heaps of debt, and yet, they can afford Craig Bellamy on loan. :shock:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Aug 2010 16:18

royal-biscuit-man Cardiff are in heaps of debt, and yet, they can afford Craig Bellamy on loan. :shock:

If only someone had mentioned this before.

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 17 Aug 2010 16:23

Royal Lady
royal-biscuit-man Cardiff are in heaps of debt, and yet, they can afford Craig Bellamy on loan. :shock:

Excatly what i was thinking. :lol:

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 17 Aug 2010 16:46

:|

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Aug 2010 17:53

royal-biscuit-man
Royal Lady

Excatly what i was thinking. :lol:

Well Portsmouth have set the standard now. All clubs know that they can spend millions - have a great deal of success and then enter a CVA and wipe their debts and get off Scot free. Why should Cardiff not take the risk. They did last year and are again this year. Why pay the tax man when you can pay for Craig Bellamy on loan instead. I think they clearly have the right business model going forwards as no club seems to be expected to pay a penalty for complete financial mismanagement.

I am being cynical and have historically agreed with Sir John's policy of sustainable finances (to a major extent anyway) but it does make you wonder why it is worth it. In my view heavily indebted clubs should not be allowed to bring in any new players at all and if necessary should be expected to use youth players only. If they get relegated then so be it. It is the only way to stop clubs from being profligate.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 17 Aug 2010 18:02

^ I agree with that Andrew. Whether it be Pompey, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Bradford etc etc clubs live beyond their means but ulimately always seem to get away with it. OK the likes of Leeds have had a few years in the doldrums but they will be back in the Prem before long. Sometimes though I would like to see Reading being a bit braver. Just imagine the excitement in Cardiff right now with Bellamy's signing. Just occasionally it would be nice for us to have that kind of signing that really captures the imagination.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Aug 2010 18:38

Ivar Ingimarsson is out of tonight's friendly and possibly out for a further two weeks...good going Madejski...also, why on earth was he offered a new contract?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Aug 2010 19:04

Royalee Ivar Ingimarsson is out of tonight's friendly and possibly out for a further two weeks...good going Madejski...also, why on earth was he offered a new contract?

Maybe the club are trying to save money as I believe he was offered a pay per play contract

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 17 Aug 2010 20:04

PEARCEY ^ I agree with that Andrew. Whether it be Pompey, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Bradford etc etc clubs live beyond their means but ulimately always seem to get away with it. OK the likes of Leeds have had a few years in the doldrums but they will be back in the Prem before long. Sometimes though I would like to see Reading being a bit braver. Just imagine the excitement in Cardiff right now with Bellamy's signing. Just occasionally it would be nice for us to have that kind of signing that really captures the imagination.

I'm still cherishing the memories of those huge celebrations we had when we signed Emerse Fae and Greg Halford...

under the tin

by under the tin » 17 Aug 2010 21:08

PEARCEY ^ I agree with that Andrew. Whether it be Pompey, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Bradford etc etc clubs live beyond their means but ulimately always seem to get away with it. OK the likes of Leeds have had a few years in the doldrums but they will be back in the Prem before long. Sometimes though I would like to see Reading being a bit braver. Just imagine the excitement in Cardiff right now with Bellamy's signing. Just occasionally it would be nice for us to have that kind of signing that really captures the imagination.

Whilst I have problems with the morality, I agree with the sentiment.
Only time will tell if the likes of Rother and Dirk will win out in their side of this discussion, but I can't help feeling that sometimes, proverbs and the like are ultimately founded on fundamental truths.
Faint heart never won fair maiden (unk)
Nice guys finish last (Green Day)

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 Aug 2010 22:45

I agree that a precedent has been set with Pompey. The risk is worth it because you're allowed to recover. Maybe I'd like to see us run up debts winning promotion, then the FA cup a few years later and seeing European football. Give me administration and relegation in 10 years time no problems. The rules are a joke; they must change.

I also think it's shocking that clubs and players from Pompey are getting their debt paid in full whilst charities such as St. John's Ambulance are getting petty change. These continuing stories are bastardising football; I'm almost losing my love for it.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Aug 2010 23:31

Royalee Ivar Ingimarsson is out of tonight's friendly and possibly out for a further two weeks...good going Madejski...also, why on earth was he offered a new contract?

Personally I think he's just doing it to piss you off.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 18 Aug 2010 00:23

Royal With Cheese
Royalee Ivar Ingimarsson is out of tonight's friendly and possibly out for a further two weeks...good going Madejski...

Eh? What did Madejski do to Ingimarsson?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Aug 2010 00:41

I think you should be looking towards Hammond rather than Madejski when directing your ire at the club for re-signing players who are past their best.....

joe999

by joe999 » 18 Aug 2010 07:45

andrew1957 Well Portsmouth have set the standard now. All clubs know that they can spend millions - have a great deal of success and then enter a CVA and wipe their debts and get off Scot free. Why should Cardiff not take the risk. They did last year and are again this year. Why pay the tax man when you can pay for Craig Bellamy on loan instead. I think they clearly have the right business model going forwards as no club seems to be expected to pay a penalty for complete financial mismanagement.

I am being cynical and have historically agreed with Sir John's policy of sustainable finances (to a major extent anyway) but it does make you wonder why it is worth it. In my view heavily indebted clubs should not be allowed to bring in any new players at all and if necessary should be expected to use youth players only. If they get relegated then so be it. It is the only way to stop clubs from being profligate.

This. I actually really like the way SJM TRIES to run the club, there's definitely a nobility in not breaking the banks, relying on your academy, and trying to be a good, honest, well-run football club. And I think 10 years ago it would have worked perfectly.

I hate the way football is at the moment. I think it's beyond disgusting that a club is allowed to spend £80 million on the services of one human being, when you think of what that amount of money could do. It's disgusting, but there will come a time where we will have to accept that it's not changing. Certainly not now. Sir John will have to understand that he can't stay on his high horse forever. I can promise you now that not every chairman in the football league is making a profit, not by a long shot, but sadly, their position in the league table would say otherwise.

Think of the amount of businesses this guy is running. He must have more money than he knows what to do with. It's not that I don't believe we've lost 6 million in the last few years, I believe it 100%, but that's modern day football I'm afraid. More and more money is being spent... is it right? Not a chance. Do you have to do it? If you want to be a successful club, yes.

It kind of makes me wonder why anyone bothers anymore. It was summed up for me by a Fulham fan I spoke to once.. he said "We've been in relegation battles for 5 or 6 years running now. It kind of makes you wonder what the point is. You know at the start of the season one of four teams will win the league.. we're playing in a league I know we have no chance of winning."

I just find that a bit depressing. We all want money spent at this club, myself included, but I have to ask myself where it would actually get us eventually. Either way, it's getting ridiculous.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 18 Aug 2010 09:29

joe999
andrew1957 Well Portsmouth have set the standard now. All clubs know that they can spend millions - have a great deal of success and then enter a CVA and wipe their debts and get off Scot free. Why should Cardiff not take the risk. They did last year and are again this year. Why pay the tax man when you can pay for Craig Bellamy on loan instead. I think they clearly have the right business model going forwards as no club seems to be expected to pay a penalty for complete financial mismanagement.

This. I actually really like the way SJM TRIES to run the club, there's definitely a nobility in not breaking the banks, relying on your academy, and trying to be a good, honest, well-run football club. And I think 10 years ago it would have worked perfectly.

I hate the way football is at the moment. I think it's beyond disgusting that a club is allowed to spend £80 million on the services of one human being, when you think of what that amount of money could do. It's disgusting, but there will come a time where we will have to accept that it's not changing. Certainly not now. Sir John will have to understand that he can't stay on his high horse forever. I can promise you now that not every chairman in the football league is making a profit, not by a long shot, but sadly, their position in the league table would say otherwise.

Think of the amount of businesses this guy is running. He must have more money than he knows what to do with. It's not that I don't believe we've lost 6 million in the last few years, I believe it 100%, but that's modern day football I'm afraid. More and more money is being spent... is it right? Not a chance. Do you have to do it? If you want to be a successful club, yes.

It kind of makes me wonder why anyone bothers anymore. It was summed up for me by a Fulham fan I spoke to once.. he said "We've been in relegation battles for 5 or 6 years running now. It kind of makes you wonder what the point is. You know at the start of the season one of four teams will win the league.. we're playing in a league I know we have no chance of winning."

I just find that a bit depressing. We all want money spent at this club, myself included, but I have to ask myself where it would actually get us eventually. Either way, it's getting ridiculous.

Very well put. Couldn't agree more.

I was completely dumbstruck when Pompey were given the kiss of life a few weeks back, so much so that I cannot bring myself to go to games anymore. What's the point?

And now Cardiff have Belllamy using money they don't have. It's a disgrace and I won't be parting with a penny more to support such a corrupt and unjust system (and yes, I know it's my club that feels that most, but there is a principal at stake here).

723 posts