Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Vision » 24 Aug 2010 12:52

sheshnu Are we all not currently enjoying the most successful period in the club's history? Does anybody seriously think that's not almost entirely thanks to one man? (And us fans, of course).

Yeah but Ron Grant has gone now.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 24 Aug 2010 12:56

No surprise we're slipping down the leagues then, is it?

under the tin

by under the tin » 24 Aug 2010 12:57

brendywendy
You are in the camp that believes that success was down to dilligent work by the chairman.
I sincerely believe that it was the club's "golden ticket". A squad assembled for relatively peanuts, with a superb coaching management team, and those players performing at a level that prevoiusly they had not achieved. It all just "clicked".

utter rollocks

ive already said its down to all of those things combined. but you seem to want to discount th efact that JM had anything to do with it. when in fact he hired SSC, andf put in place the systems and controls and staff that made the 106 at all possible.
And you want to seem to dicount the fact that those same systems, controls, and staff were in place when he hired Tommy Burns???
Why didn't his team smash the league up

aND ALL OF THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO WHY I CANT UNDERSTAND ALL THE HAND WRINGING- BY ALL MEANS IF WE SELL KEBE MCANUFF AND SIG - THEN START WRINGING HANDS AND WORRYING IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER- BUT UNTIL THEN DONT BOTHER.
AT THE POINT WHERE WE ARE RELEGATED DUE TO LACK OF INVESTMENT, THEN MOAN LIKE BUGGERY IF YOU LIKE
If we get relegated, all the moaning in the world will not change it. It's too bloody late then.
IM JUST SAYING THAT SITTING THERE SAYING OOOO WE ARE GOING TO SELL ALL OUR GOOD PLAYERS BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES,
I don't know when they will go. But there is a high probability they will.
OOO WE WILL BE A LEAGUE 1 TEAM, IS RUBBISH, AND ACHIEVES oxf*rd ALL.
If you reduce the quality of the team, it becomes less competitive, and makes relegtion more likely.
CARRY ON IF YOU LIKE THOUGH

(oops caps)

*Michael winner voice* calm down, dear

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 24 Aug 2010 12:57

the vast majority of the fond memories were at elm park, in the nether reaches
not saying i want to go back there, but in essence, theres not much different.

Would be quite amusing to be watching Reading in league 2 or lower in an empty Mad Stad... (not saying it's going to happen but just that I'd rather watch that sort of standard of football in a ground like Elm Park than a sea of blue seats and silence). :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Aug 2010 13:39

under the tin
Royal Rother The context was your analysis of the reasons why we achieved promotion to the PL.

Precisely. This isn't an Auto Trader forum. How you can extrapolate my comments and imply that I include his print empire is beyond me.

What the hell are you on about? Did you or did you not say "JM GOT LUCKY" when we got promoted....

If you believe that then I'll leave you to it now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Aug 2010 15:21

under the tin
brendywendy
You are in the camp that believes that success was down to dilligent work by the chairman.
I sincerely believe that it was the club's "golden ticket". A squad assembled for relatively peanuts, with a superb coaching management team, and those players performing at a level that prevoiusly they had not achieved. It all just "clicked".

utter rollocks

ive already said its down to all of those things combined. but you seem to want to discount th efact that JM had anything to do with it. when in fact he hired SSC, andf put in place the systems and controls and staff that made the 106 at all possible.
And you want to seem to dicount the fact that those same systems, controls, and staff were in place when he hired Tommy Burns???
Why didn't his team smash the league up

aND ALL OF THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO WHY I CANT UNDERSTAND ALL THE HAND WRINGING- BY ALL MEANS IF WE SELL KEBE MCANUFF AND SIG - THEN START WRINGING HANDS AND WORRYING IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER- BUT UNTIL THEN DONT BOTHER.
AT THE POINT WHERE WE ARE RELEGATED DUE TO LACK OF INVESTMENT, THEN MOAN LIKE BUGGERY IF YOU LIKE
If we get relegated, all the moaning in the world will not change it. It's too bloody late then.
IM JUST SAYING THAT SITTING THERE SAYING OOOO WE ARE GOING TO SELL ALL OUR GOOD PLAYERS BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES,
I don't know when they will go. But there is a high probability they will.
OOO WE WILL BE A LEAGUE 1 TEAM, IS RUBBISH, AND ACHIEVES oxf*rd ALL.
If you reduce the quality of the team, it becomes less competitive, and makes relegtion more likely.
CARRY ON IF YOU LIKE THOUGH

(oops caps)

*Michael winner voice* calm down, dear

1.sorry but to assume JM changed nothing in his running of the club between burns and coppello is silly
2.all players leave, sad but true
3.agreed.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2010 00:17

We saw tonight just how much weakness we have in depth. Bring in a couple of loan players or the 24,000 sell-outs of old in front of Parky, Cilla and Tarby will be replaced by 6,000 crowds in front of Andrew Peach, Timmy Mallett and Roy 'Mr Cinema' Smith.

adamh4608

If it.s such a well ran club

by adamh4608 » 26 Aug 2010 13:23

If it’s such a well ran club why did we waste all the premiership money

If it’s such a well ran club why did we waste all the transfer money over the last few years

If it’s such a well ran club why cant we afford any loan player's

If it’s such a well ran club why do we still have to sell

over the 2 seasons in the premiership no money was invested in the team.

Since we came down we have sold player for millions.
yet we are so skint .

all I can remember us spending money on was the hotel and a media centre GREAT

it’s such a well ran club.

Yellowcoat

Re: If it.s such a well ran club

by Yellowcoat » 26 Aug 2010 13:33

When are you back at school?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2010 13:34

You know, I'm amazed that this has never been discussed on this forum before.

Thank you for bringing this to the wider forum, I shall go away and think about a suitable response.

Magnus

by Magnus » 26 Aug 2010 14:15

I find it hard to believe there were already 4607 Adam H's registered on this portal.

Elliott

by Elliott » 26 Aug 2010 15:27

Magnus I find it hard to believe there were already 4607 Adam H's registered on this portal.

:lol: I'm glad Elliott isn't quite as popular!

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 26 Aug 2010 15:33

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Aug 2010 15:43

adamh4608 If it’s such a well ran club why did we waste all the premiership money - it was used to buy and pay players at prem level, and give us a prem league infrastructure- not wasted.

If it’s such a well ran club why did we waste all the transfer money over the last few years- not wasted, used to pay off debts,buty and pay players and finance our push for repromotion

If it’s such a well ran club why cant we afford any loan player's - because we currently earn less than we pay out

If it’s such a well ran club why do we still have to sell- to ensure we are still a well run club next year?

over the 2 seasons in the premiership no money was invested in the team.- utter rubbish- lots of players bought, and lots of pay rises for proven successful players

do read the accounts, & try to understand them, before posting a load of shite next time

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 26 Aug 2010 17:52

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
so its not a well run club

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Aug 2010 19:32

This is a well run club from top to bottom.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2010 19:42

LoyalRoyal22 This is a well run club from top to bottom.

Hi Mr Madejski.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Aug 2010 19:46

Royal Lady
LoyalRoyal22 This is a well run club from top to bottom.

Hi Mr Madejski.

Hello

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 Aug 2010 20:52

adamh4608 (is that you date of birth by the way?), you, like many others, take the running of RFC in isolation. If you compare the running of RFC in relation to other less well run clubs, then you will see a quite remarkable difference between the two. Some poorly run clubs will be having or have had a modicum of success at this moment in time or in the not too distant past (Cardiff, Hull City, Portsmouth to name three reasonably high profile examples), but their houses will come crashing, or have come crashing down. The same can be said of poorly run clubs in the past - Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Bradford City to quote more examples. You, like many others, question the running of the club, questioning why the balance sheet is more important than the players, well when (not if) the footballing financial house comes crashing down, you and your fellow whinging colleagues will be lauding the club as a sort of leader in their own field. In the meantime, I for one would be happy for Reading to continue in the manner they are and trying to set a precedent for other clubs to follow, even if it meant short term detriment, because at least at the end of it all I'd have a club to support.

Almost every other club does not live within it's means. That is the first lesson. Now, run along and learn about business acumen, read a balance sheet or three, and then come back when you understand the basics.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 26 Aug 2010 22:07

handbags_harris Almost every other club does not live within it's means.

And equally almost every other club hasn't gone out of business.

I love the way when someone comes out with 'where's the money gone' everyone jumps on him and spouts all this 'Reading way' balls. We all know that there's not a lot of money now and that the club itself only does enough to balance the books - but if you really think that SJM is unable to inject a bit here and there to bolster the funds because he's so cash poor... :roll:

We are in the position we're in because SJM's always thought he'd make a packet selling the club (that's why when Carson Yeung was looking at buying the club they started going on about having the potential to be bigger than Arsenal - what did Carson do? He steered well clear). Now he's realised that's NEVER going to happen - not for the money he wanted anyway.

If he couldn't sell it then what is there to make him think it would be any different next time - it's too big a gamble and far too expensive. So now he's closing the purse strings and trying to get the club to reduce it's outgoings so that when he finally sells he gets more out of it than if he'd been constantly throwing money down the toilet hoping for a promotion that might never come.

That is indeed the approach of a business man and he can hardly be blamed for it when he can invest his money elsewhere but let's not make out that we're doing this to teach other clubs how to be financially responsible and that Madejski is trying to change the face of football. If Madejski thought we'd go down if we didn't bring in a centre back - we'd get one. But why buy or loan a centre back that isn't necessary for keeping the club in the division - that's the way he looks at it - all he will do now is leave the club to finance itself. Even when we're out of recession and he has profits coming in elsewhere mark my words he won't be investing it in Reading FC like he did before. Absolutely no way.

Please let's not get suckered by all this 'Reading way' talk - it's not the Reading way it's the Madejski way. It always has been. Nothings changed - that's why we were never likely to survive long in the Premiership and it's why we're now not seriously looking to get back there. Why gamble on going up in order to sell when he couldn't sell it (for what he wanted) last time? Meanwhile I don't think any of his other 'real world' investments will suffer the same lack of support from him - e.g. the print company he's turned around from the brink of destruction - they spent about 80 million turning that around. He was pretty keen on doing a little development in Reading as I recall until he couldn't finance it - as he said himself the recession won't be around forever - but the potential investors didn't see it that way and he had to scrap it - it's the same with Reading. If he wanted to invest some more of his own money he could do but why bother when it's not a viable investment.

I do agree that I would rather have a club to support than for the club to go bust - but we're not in danger of that unless the club itself spends money it hasn't got - that means there's only one person who can put in the money people want and that's the Chairman. If you want to believe he hasn't got it or can't find it then fine - but i find it odd that the same people who say he has no money also say that if there was a mega-emergency and mills and pearce got long term injuries we'd go out and get someone in - how does that work? I'll tell you how - it works because at the moment another centre back is not an investment - it's a luxury - and not an emergency.

723 posts