Tough?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

Tough?

by The Cap » 18 Sep 2010 22:23

Is it me or am I hearing that because the players have had three games in a week they 're finding it tough?

As Jim Royle would say,'tough my a*se!'

This is tough 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wmOv5TCE9U&feature=related' and perhaps MaccyD would do well to give 'em a glimpse of this the next time anybody starts griping about 'tough'.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Tough?

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Sep 2010 22:32

Over paid, over rated bunch of nancy boys. The poor little darlings. Tired? Get them to put in a shift at a factory FFS. Thank Fvck they don't get any more of MY money.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Sep 2010 22:34

It is physically tough to exert the levels of energy 3 times a week.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 18 Sep 2010 22:53

Exactly lads. I don't normally have a grouch but I've heard all this nuts before about traveling and having to play three games in a week. I can see some of the seasoned veterans already turning in their graves.

I heard it again this week and thought 'Enough is enough'. There are plenty of people in this country who works their guts out and so okay they're not asked for their views but, for example, I heard Jobi this week going on about 'tough'. In relation to games played etc.

Get a sandbag on your shoulders at five in the morning Jobi,run a few hundred yards and see how you're doing mate. And that's only part of the warm up.

As the main man says 'Perhaps joining the castaways isn't such a bad option after all'.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Sep 2010 22:58

Jobi would have run at least 40km this week.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Sep 2010 23:03

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Jobi would have run at least 40km this week.

Yes and what with the sports scientists, dieticians, physios etc... How far did Paula Radcliffe run in a week? 200 miles plus? Think of the physical effort that members of the armed forces have to put in coupled with some of the living conditions.

Sorry, but your argument does not wash.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Sep 2010 23:11

I do undertsand what u are getting at.

You are just twisting a word though and taking it out of context.

What the players go through is physically tough, of course it's not tough in the way you mean, but it is still physically tough.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 18 Sep 2010 23:14

Well put Terminal. Mind you, this is currently turning into a three way debate. Surely somebody else must have a view on this.

I'd have thought it to be fairly topical after today's result. What with the Gylfi flight and all that. Wasn't this form of transport meant to have conserved the energy banks?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Sep 2010 23:14

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I do undertsand what u are getting at.

What the players go through is physically tough, of course it's not tough in the way you mean, but it is still physically tough.

Its physically tough but their bodies are trained to cope and frankly they dont exactly have to bust a gut through the working week a lot of the time so they get nil sympathy from me. They are bloody well rewarded.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Sep 2010 23:20

PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I do undertsand what u are getting at.

Its physically tough but their bodies are trained to cope and frankly they dont exactly have to bust a gut through the working week a lot of the time so they get nil sympathy from me. They are bloody well rewarded.

It's too late to go off and one and start quoting text books, but the levels of energy exterted during a game are very high and it is tough to recover from that. They are highly trained, but the recovery alone takes it's toll.

It's not about feeling sorry for them, they are not asking that. It is tough though.

agentrwrf

by agentrwrf » 18 Sep 2010 23:23

Wasn't it 'Hansen and co' who said players don't get tired , they just want to play given a chance.!! We don't have the strikers and now miss an attacking midfielder who can actually play.

agentrwrf

by agentrwrf » 18 Sep 2010 23:35

Can anybody actually define what is meant by 'tough' ? Are they 'hard' games? but surely MaccyD has said that no game is easy in this league. Or is it 'tough' when you don't have the right players??

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 18 Sep 2010 23:51

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe It is physically tough to exert the levels of energy 3 times a week.

WHAT???

All that Skippy has to do is stop a ball being kicked in his direction... ...how can it be so had to do this three times a week?

So what is HIS excuse?

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and so on often play many games. Don't see their players complaining and they play at a much higher level.

DO YOU SEE? :shock:

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 20 Sep 2010 01:46

The reason it's so fecking tough for our squad is due to the fact we now have NO STRENGTH IN DEPTH DUE TO LACK OF REINVESTMENT BY THE CLUB- oh and the players are crap too

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 20 Sep 2010 05:27

Terminal Boardom
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Jobi would have run at least 40km this week.

Yes and what with the sports scientists, dieticians, physios etc... How far did Paula Radcliffe run in a week? 200 miles plus? Think of the physical effort that members of the armed forces have to put in coupled with some of the living conditions.

Sorry, but your argument does not wash.

Neither does yours. Paula Ratcliffe runs, a steady pace, without having to turn on a sixpence, use a wide range of techniques to strike through a ball, while moving, and getting hacked down. Fine, they get paid for what they do, and the majority of us would take a year of what they do at the drop of a hat, but year in and out when you know that your major working credential permanently hangs in a balance and is generally wasted out by 35.

Fair point about the Forces though. Regular up and down in 40+ temperatures with at least 50 lb of gear to haul, early morning to night and sometimes overnight again, and with hostile civilians let alone an enemy to face and all so that some have the freedom to sit on their plastic seat and shout abuse in the name of their team!

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 20 Sep 2010 06:03

For oxf*rd's sake, they're not in the army though. It's a nonsensical and thick comparison to make. Besides, I've never seen a second-division footballer rattling a tin outside a supermarket cos his job is tough - why is doing that the reserve of the ex-armed forces?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Sep 2010 08:13

Army. Overworked, lack of concentration, shot in the head, blown to bits by an IED or killed by friendly fire (the friendly chap also being overworked).

Reading FC. Overworked, lack of concentration, concede a goal in the first minute, lose the match.

Something like that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2010 09:25

I may be mistaken but doest SKDD work in football, possibly in the fitness side so is the only person on this thread in a position to talk with authority on the subject?

If not, I apologise, and you may carry on regardless.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 20 Sep 2010 09:51

Sometimes I make out that I've had a tough day. In my office job. Thankfully my friends and family don't usually respond with "you ought to try being in the army, you soft git."

What do you want? McAnuff to constantly apologise for having an easy life and getting very well paid? I think that would get tedious pretty quickly.

Playing three times in 8 days is tougher on the body than playing twice in 8 days, and it's likely to have an impact on your performance. Of course the opposition have it the same way. But if one side copes with that demand better, it's obviously legitimate for the losing side to point to it as a factor.

It doesn't excuse our performance of course, it just might go some way towards explaining it.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Sep 2010 09:57

Why dont they just keep quiet, makes the most sense all round.