Time to button it, John Madejski

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Time to button it, John Madejski

by Southbank Old Boy » 27 Feb 2008 16:47

Stranded
rob the royal personally i don't want to hear the chairman constantly telling the fans that their so important and to make lots of noise. how many people will actually watch that video they just made and say 'Yeah i've been coming to reading for x years and not ever been bothered about being a vocal supporter of the team and the guy shouting back the boys and make some noise before the game has never got me going but but now i've seen that video of the chairman i will be the loudest fan reading have ever had' i mean he's not exactly winston churchill is he?

i can't see why some people think that just because the guy has clearly done a lot for the club he can't be criticised for making what i think is a major major error. you need to speculate to accumulate, and yes money doesn't buy success, especially if you buy the wrong players like fulham, but that's just the risk that you have to take. as someone else said earlier the club came to a fork in the road where there was the opportunity to gamble. i don't think we would have needed to spend a huge amount to make this gamble, but as far as i can see the amount we have spent looks to me like the club has chickened out. and yes there are good reasons to do so - why blow a load of money just to get relegated?

but if you don't try you don't get. and for me the premier league is a league where if you don't keep trying (i.e. improving your squad) then you'll get left behind quicker than you would in the leagues below. everyone always says the prem is a massive step up, and it is, in every way - and that includes the amounts of money and the amount of risk.

for the past few seasons i've had a habit of comparing the squad list to that of the previous season, and i have felt for several years that we've always been improving and getting rid of the dead wood. but this year (up until january at least) i have not felt this to be the case and nobody in this league can afford to do that.

I have no problem with justified criticism that can be backed up with some decent facts but nobody on this board knows the situation, is it the JM won't give up the cash, SC won't spend it or that the sort of players we want don't want to join for whatever reason.

It could be any of the above or a combination, who knows.

The closest we have to facts to back it up are the comments and stories about us bidding significant amounts of money on players over the last couple of seasons, and the apparent fact that we're happy to pay half decent wages to the better players in our current squad.

That would indicate that Mr M is at least willing to stump up some of the requried cash to support his manager, but your right, we'll never really know the full story.

Hugh

by Hugh » 01 Mar 2008 16:18

frimleygreen_shotspur i blame cilla black.things went downhill when your chairman waggled his willy in her direction.

:lol:

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Sep 2010 11:16

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Sep 2010 11:59

I still think SC was just being polite when he said he had money to spend. No-one knows how much he was given, if it was, say £100k, it's no wonder he couldn't find anyone to sign. :cry:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 23 Sep 2010 12:42

OMG, it's groundhog day again. Do we really have to cover this ground again and again?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 23 Sep 2010 13:04

Svlad Cjelli OMG, it's groundhog day again. Do we really have to cover this ground again and again?

The ultimate message of the thread is it's time for Madejski to button it and the message is as relevant now as it was 2.5 years ago

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Sep 2010 13:12

Big Foot
Svlad Cjelli OMG, it's groundhog day again. Do we really have to cover this ground again and again?

The ultimate message of the thread is it's time for Madejski to button it and the message is as relevant now as it was 2.5 years ago

+1

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Sep 2010 13:28

Royal Lady I still think SC was just being polite when he said he had money to spend. No-one knows how much he was given, if it was, say £100k, it's no wonder he couldn't find anyone to sign. :cry:

SSC admitted on TV after he had left the club there was money to spend and he didn't spend it, confessing he was too loyal to certain players. So unless he's gone on GoS and lied....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Sep 2010 14:03

:roll: Depends on "how much" the money to spend was, like I said.

Seeing as, even after selling a player for £7 million and having got rid of a few higher paid players in the close season, McD has been given diddly squat to spend, I find it hard to believe that Coppell was given a substantial amount himself. I am happy to be proved wrong however.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2010 14:09

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that we had agreed deals for Gary O'Neil and Matt Taylor but Coppell vetoed them at the last moment.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 23 Sep 2010 14:11

Royal Lady
Big Foot

+1

No arguments with that one - him opening his mouth when his minders aren't around is a continual problem.

But it's the "did/didn't SC have money and if so how much" that's been done to death and beyond.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Sep 2010 14:17

Oh sorry.

Let me know what I am allowed to mention and I'll see to it that I conform.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Sep 2010 14:22

Agreed.

Leave it be.

Done to death, no debate, Coppell had some funds but nowhere near what was required - Madejski bottled it by not investing bigtime. proven beyond doubt by two subsequent managers not using the alleged big funds. Madejski messed up (or was wise enough not to risk it financially - either way). Not worth discussing further.

As useful discussing this as it is discussing the holocaust.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Sep 2010 14:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup Done to death, no debate, Coppell had some funds but nowhere near what was required

As Stranded said, Coppell has admitted he could've brought in O'Neil and/or Taylor (and I thought Cahill was mentioned at the same time but I might've dreamt that as he was just one of my hopes) but decided he didn't want to.

If we'd signed Taylor, let alone O'Neil who's a better player, I think we'd have stayed up as Hunt and Shorey would've had proper competition.

You can say no debate as often as you like, you're just talking rubbish though.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Sep 2010 15:10

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Sep 2010 15:30

The Goat was fed
Cookie Threads that slag off The Chairman, they bother me.
He's put £Millions into the club, and he gets criticised for not putting enough £Millions in.

There isn't another chairman in the Premiership who puts less into his club than John Madejski.

Premiership football = £40 million a year income.

Where's the money gone, John?

our wage bill was 30-38 million while up there for two years

oh, and try checking the oxf*rd accounts you oxf*rd bunch of morons before oxf*rd spouting the same old tired arse dribblings we get every few weeks.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Sep 2010 15:31

RoyalBlue
He's put £Millions into the club, and he gets criticised for not putting enough £Millions in.

And,of course, the £Millions he has put in has nothing at all to do with self-promotion!

He get's criticised because in the opinions of many he talks the talk but fails to walk the walk.

how much in money is that self promotion worth to a business man exactly?

he always comes across as quite shy to me, and looks uncomfortable when he feels he should come onto the pitch to rouse the crowd,

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 23 Sep 2010 19:40

Observing one not spending money and concluding that there is none to spend is about as valid as seeing someone order a salad and concluding they're a vegetarian. I hear Fox News is hiring for a UK bureau - some on here should apply. 8)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2010 20:41

brendywendy our wage bill was 30-38 million while up there for two years

oh, and try checking the oxf*rd accounts you oxf*rd bunch of morons before oxf*rd spouting the same old tired arse dribblings we get every few weeks.

LOL @ check the accounts :) , presumably you've sat with Bryan Stabler going through it all with a fine tooth comb have you, Brendy? £40 million a year income x 2 = £80 million minus £38 million a year wage bill = £4 million minus how much on transfers net? Oh, f*ck it who cares - as TGWF suggests, it seems that Mr Mad didn't invest much in trying to keep us in the top flight really. And yes, of course - why should he? Other than making the club a more saleable asset and benefitting himself lonmg term, of course.

I think I prefer it when you're on the pot anyway, Brenders 8)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Sep 2010 21:07

brendywendy
RoyalBlue

And,of course, the £Millions he has put in has nothing at all to do with self-promotion!

He get's criticised because in the opinions of many he talks the talk but fails to walk the walk.

how much in money is that self promotion worth to a business man exactly?

he always comes across as quite shy to me, and looks uncomfortable when he feels he should come onto the pitch to rouse the crowd,

Well that is conclusive proof that you are a very poor judge of people and of the 'great man' himself!!!

Such a shy self-effacing man, ever cautious to avoid the limelight!! :lol: :lol:

Not in his nature to just accidentally wander into camera shot when a player is being interviewed after a televised match and then make sure he stays there! Not in his nature to show a tv programme around his penthouse and then from the balcony point out the academy that ' I funded you know' . How wouldn't they know when like the stadium it just happens to be named after him. I bet like the Madejski room at the art gallery, he had nothing to do with that idea!

As for the millions he has put in - just how many millions has he actually put in? And that means given, not loaned.

And whatever he did give, believe you me, he really values the self-promotion that came with it.