double kebes money now

zummerset

Re: Is kebe next?

by zummerset » 26 Sep 2010 19:01

To be fair two years ago everyone agreed that Kebe was the Eddie the Eagle of wing play and now he is feckin brilliant...I have no idea why he has super performed now perhaps Brian gives him a little cuddle before each game.

But selling Jimmy would be another sign that we won't be challenging to go up anytime soon and that the Board have effctively given up on progress at the moment. Unlike the rest of the JM trashers on here I understand the business pressures and (much as I don't like it) we are where we are and the Board have to keep us solvent and functioning.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 26 Sep 2010 19:04

Royal Lady If we were offered £7million for Kebe we'd sell him.

If we're offered £3m for Kebe we'll sell him!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Sep 2010 19:59

I know there has to be a balance between keeping players and selling them but over this weekend I felt a bit sad watching
Marcus and Doyle for Wolves,knowing also that Hunt would be playing soon for them as well (not really sad about that one).
Sidwell come on as sub for Villa
Shorey playing a big part in West Brom's win away at Arsenal
Kitson banging in the goals for Pompey
Gyli scoring the previous week against Bayern Munich.

I sat with my Oxford supporting brother-in-law watching the Wolves game and he said "You now know what it was like for us to lose Aldridge,Saunders and Houghton to Liverpool".
I heard somebody profound once say that selling your best players is a receipe for disaster.
Despite that oh so massive black hole we may not yet be near disaster but with Kebe being our only player that we own anywhere near Premiership standard I would be really disappointed if the club let him go in January.
People said that we could replace Sidwell-we haven't
They said we could replace Doyle-we haven't
They said we could replace Kitson-we haven't
They said we could replace Gylfi-we haven't
That's why we will probably end up as a mid-table club with diminishing crowds.
We sell but don't replace but rely generally on our youngsters and loan players.

That is a good way to be a mid-table side or lower..
Some on here say that they would be happy with that year in,year out-I don't believe them once it sinks in that we are no longer challenging.
Having eaten at the top table I want us to be up there again but the non-investment policy won't get us there.

We really have no idea about the finances of the club-one minute we are this example to others of a well-run club and the next we are staring at a financial abyss despite regularly selling our best players.
I can't do anything about the finances other than pay for my season ticket and ancilliaries but I would like my views to get through to the club that you can't keep on selling your best players and hope for success-ask Southampton (Shearer,Kenwyne Jones,Crouch,Fuller,Walcott,Bale etc.,etc).
Perhaps we should start making placards to take to games saying "Keep Kebe Kampaign" deliberately mis-spelling "campaign" for effect and at worse the publicity might push up his price meaning that there is no hole to fill during 2011 and 2012.

bagman

by bagman » 26 Sep 2010 20:05

Jimmy is out of contract in 18 months, and we are never going to pay him the wages that would keep him. Selling in January is therefore necessary to maximise his value. Unfortunate but thats where we are at know!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 26 Sep 2010 20:15

Not true. Give him an improved contract now. We can't keep him long-term but it may mean we hang onto him until the summer.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 26 Sep 2010 20:15

My view is....he's still here even after last season. I know not why, but he is.

Therefore enjoy watching his silky skills while we can and worry about the now, not the future.

He is going to go at some point and yes he probably will be next but good luck to him. The Arsenal wing beckons!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 26 Sep 2010 20:16

If a big club came in with a big offer for Jimmy, you'd have to be a bit of an arsehole to stand in the way of him furthering his career and his life

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Sep 2010 20:25

No Hoops My view is....he's still here even after last season. I know not why, but he is.

Therefore enjoy watching his silky skills while we can and worry about the now, not the future.

He is going to go at some point and yes he probably will be next but good luck to him. The Arsenal wing beckons!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I wonder if it has anything to do with what he looks like?
There aren't many wingers over 6ft. tall nor as skinny as him nor does he have an international football pedigree so clubs may not be prepared to take a chance on him.
I could see him doing well at somewhere like Birmingham who,like us,rely a lot on counter-attacking.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: double kebes money now

by winchester_royal » 26 Sep 2010 23:23

In terms of importance to how we play Kebe >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sig.

The best thing about getting that 7m in, is that we are now not under any pressure to sell the most exciting player Reading have had in a long time.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Sep 2010 00:43

Victor Meldrew People said that we could replace Sidwell-we haven't

We tried and bought the wrong player. Fae was signed for a record fee, after all.

I don't think it was said by anyone that we could replace them, and we know why they were sold

Nobody said we could replace Gylfi.

True. It's kind of par for the course for clubs punching above their weight. It won't last forever. Some, such as Coventry, get extended stays at the top, but a return to reality is inevitible.

We really have no idea about the finances of the club-one minute we are this example to others of a well-run club and the next we are staring at a financial abyss despite regularly selling our best players.

We sell to avoid serious debt. The odds are we still probably have a number of players on salaries that are higher than their ability.

I mean, why do you think the club sell players? Do you really think they don't know selling the best players will make the team worse?

bagman Jimmy is out of contract in 18 months, and we are never going to pay him the wages that would keep him. Selling in January is therefore necessary to maximise his value. Unfortunate but thats where we are at know!

We'd get as much for him next summer as we would in January. Financially, we don't need to sell him either now.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Sep 2010 01:09

Just do what they did with gylfi and doyle, put wages up extend by year with higher buy out clause.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Sep 2010 16:17

winchester_royal The best thing about getting that 7m in, is that we are now not under any pressure to sell the most exciting player Reading have had in a long time.

You are either totally naive or living in a dream world. Whether we are under presure or not to sell, if we recieve a decent offer he will be sold and then Hammond will be carted out and state "What a great deal it is for the club."

Have you really learnt nothing from supporting Reading FC.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Sep 2010 16:21

Big Ern
winchester_royal The best thing about getting that 7m in, is that we are now not under any pressure to sell the most exciting player Reading have had in a long time.

You are either totally naive or living in a dream world. Whether we are under presure or not to sell, if we recieve a decent offer he will be sold and then Hammond will be carted out and state "What a great deal it is for the club."

except there are plenty of examples of how we didnt do that with players, who didnt have release clauses.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 27 Sep 2010 16:42

Big Ern

Big Ern - to add to yours....the additional sentence on the press release " We didnt want to sell but had little choice as the move matched the players ambitions!"... :o

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Sep 2010 16:43

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Victor Meldrew People said that we could replace Sidwell-we haven't

We tried and bought the wrong player. Fae was signed for a record fee, after all.

I don't think it was said by anyone that we could replace them, and we know why they were sold

Nobody said we could replace Gylfi.

True. It's kind of par for the course for clubs punching above their weight. It won't last forever. Some, such as Coventry, get extended stays at the top, but a return to reality is inevitible.

We sell to avoid serious debt. The odds are we still probably have a number of players on salaries that are higher than their ability.

I mean, why do you think the club sell players? Do you really think they don't know selling the best players will make the team worse?

bagman Jimmy is out of contract in 18 months, and we are never going to pay him the wages that would keep him. Selling in January is therefore necessary to maximise his value. Unfortunate but thats where we are at know!

We'd get as much for him next summer as we would in January. Financially, we don't need to sell him either now.

Superbly put Rev.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Sep 2010 16:49

Big Ern

7mil wasn't a 'decent offer' for Sigurdsson, it was a ridiculous offer which we could not turn down.

Similarly, if someone comes in and offers the same amount for Kebe, then yes it would be a great deal for the club, especially given he is out of contract next season.

However, if someone like QPR comes in with a cheeky 2m offer, we are now in a position to go stick it where the sun don't shine.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Sep 2010 17:11

winchester_royal
Big Ern

7mil wasn't a 'decent offer' for Sigurdsson, it was a ridiculous offer which we could not turn down.

Similarly, if someone comes in and offers the same amount for Kebe, then yes it would be a great deal for the club, especially given he is out of contract next season.

However, if someone like QPR comes in with a cheeky 2m offer, we are now in a position to go stick it where the sun don't shine.

Never said 7mil was not a good offer for the Sign, in fact never mentioned the Sig in my post.

I said a decent offer, I am sure £2mill would be rejected now...but if we got an 'decent' offer of £3-4mill plus, then it would be goodbye Kebe.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Sep 2010 17:15

but its the same for any teams outside of the top 4 prem sides, and mostly the same for them too.
the prices are just adjusted accordingly, and there are fewer "bigger" clubs who can force the issue.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 27 Sep 2010 17:22

On the sale of Kebe for £3m ..chairmans press statement " This is good business for the club and shows the ambition to get back into the premiership" ....(muffled...not while Im in charge though") :D

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Sep 2010 17:25

if sig was worth 7 then so is kebe.

and i dont get this- chairman doesnt want us to get back up. - its the only way he'll ever get close to what he wants for the sale, and th e only way he'll get to sell imo
so hed be proper mental not to want it.