Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Yellowcoat

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Yellowcoat » 04 Nov 2010 19:13

As the club have given Shane a new contract it seems to vindicate the views of Snowball, Brendy and others who consider RFC as a TEAM. Unlike some on here who appear to delight in talking down some of our players as individuals. Rather than continuing to try and chase Snowball away for providing facts they disagree with perhaps they should take a closer look at their own actions and views. Support not snipe.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 19:20

Yellowcoat As the club have given Shane a new contract it seems to vindicate the views of Snowball, Brendy and others who consider RFC as a TEAM. Unlike some on here who appear to delight in talking down some of our players as individuals. Rather than continuing to try and chase Snowball away for providing facts they disagree with perhaps they should take a closer look at their own actions and views. Support not snipe.

Not that many have disagreed with how much valuable Shane is to the team, they have had an issue with the volume, accuracy, relevance and repetitiveness of Snowballs stats.

I have been complimentary about Shane but that hasn't prevented me arguing with Snowball just because I dared to question what he posts. And is pretty much the same for everyone else who has argued with him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Nov 2010 19:31

Even I, who genuinely dislike Long, and don't rate him as very good have frequently acknowledged that he has done a lot of good work on the pitch this season and is far improved as a player compared to this time two years ago, and indeed this time last year.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Nov 2010 19:39

Snowball
floyd__streete
Snowball I LOVE disagreement.

No you don't.

Floyd, you haven't a CLUE, what I like. I love reasoned argument, have been in many debating societies.

:lol: you self-important pr.ick, despite another reference to your self-perceived intellect you've utterly missed my attempt at humour (hardly Perrier Award stuff admittedly but better than most of your own barbed attempts).

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Nov 2010 20:44

Snowball, what was the old Barnsley/Rodgers thing again?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 21:25

handbags_harris Snowball, what was the old Barnsley/Rodgers thing again?

Is that a genuine question?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Nov 2010 22:04

Snowball

Aye. Can't be arsed to trawl back through 30+ pages to find it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 23:31

handbags_harris
Snowball

Aye. Can't be arsed to trawl back through 30+ pages to find it.

Me neither. Dellor was talking up subjective opinions and he cited last season's game at Barnsley.

We were SLAUGHTERED for 25 minutes or so but Barnsley didn't score.
We eventually won 1-3, and in the post-match chat Ridgers was on about how RFC
completely controlled the first half-hour (or words to that effect).

Dellor most definitely didn't agree and a few weeks later, in the cold light
of day, having watched the match video, Rodgers realised we really HAD been hammered
and that his view of the reality was totally distorted by (a) being a fan
(b) what he wanted to see and (c) the eventual result.

Rodgers apologised and said Dellor was right.

It's just an interesting take on how we can so easily con ourselves.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 Nov 2010 08:38

Snowball Me neither. Dellor was talking up subjective opinions and he cited last season's game at Barnsley.

We were SLAUGHTERED for 25 minutes or so but Barnsley didn't score. We eventually won 1-3, and in the post-match chat Ridgers was on about how RFC completely controlled the first half-hour (or words to that effect).

Dellor most definitely didn't agree and a few weeks later, in the cold light of day, having watched the match video, Rodgers realised we really HAD been hammered and that his view of the reality was totally distorted by (a) being a fan (b) what he wanted to see and (c) the eventual result.

Rodgers apologised and said Dellor was right.

It's just an interesting take on how we can so easily con ourselves.

I suggest you trust my memory more than others because it is a known fact that I have a fantastic memory for minute detail within games, many on these boards will back that up. It also serves to show that your memory is sh*t or Brendan Rodgers's was conning himself into thinking we hadn't conceded. Fact is that we conceded within 10 minutes at Oakwell last season and were definitely absolutely battered until we equalised, no conning myself there. For your information, left wing corner headed in at the near post by Andy Gray.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Nov 2010 08:49

Always_Royal
Wycombe Royal
Always_Royal To get this thread back on track this is BM's take on Shane and I for one never boo a RFC player no matter what.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... s-critics/?

Personally I didn't understand the fans reaction to him when he was substituted, but then I never boo a player as I think it is counter-productive. But I can understand the frustration of some fans as Shane is a striker and his job is to score goals, and regardless of what he has contributed he has only scored two penalties and missed quite a few golden opportunities to score from open play.

I pretty well agree with this, booing players is counter-productive. One thing's for sure and that's Shane always gives his all every match, but not had the luck lately. We need to get behind him and give him the confidence to start scoring again and not slate him.

Point is I'm not sure there was much if any actual booing of him anyway. Certainly there was some ironic cheering when the change was made but it was a pretty small minority and thats happened to (dare i say it) a lot better Reading players than Long over the years.

I fully expect McDermott to back his player in public but there are very few fans that would criticise Long's work rate anyway so harping on about that is a bit pointless really. The worry for me and many others from Saturday is that his confidence in front of goal appeared to be completely shot away. Two 1-on-1's and a free header yet the keeper never had a save to make. Now if this wasn't lack of confidence and just down to his illness then maybe there's nothing to worry about. If it was down to his illness though then really its McDermott thats done him as much of a disservice by playing him as the fans who supposedly booed him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2010 09:23

brendywendy
Hoop Blah The hypocratie council made me the hypocrite police, that's who.

I tried to have a discussion with him about the points he raised. That's kind of the idea of the board isn't it? He wouldn't really discuss it, I tried again, pointed out the issues I had with it and then got bored.

I'm only answering you're questions here as I've given up on the debate as it's pointless and it's killing any sensible discussion. If you didn't want an answer then don't ask me the question then get uppety when you get one.

not bored enough to actually stop!

i see where you are coming from. i can also see his point of view.
why cant we all just get along etc :cry:

Yes bored enough to stop. I've stopped bothering to even read his posts, let alone respond to them, because it's pointless and proving him wrong has just becoming too easy most of time, not that he'd ever accept it!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Nov 2010 10:18

Yellowcoat As the club have given Shane a new contract it seems to vindicate the views of Snowball, Brendy and others who consider RFC as a TEAM. Unlike some on here who appear to delight in talking down some of our players as individuals. Rather than continuing to try and chase Snowball away for providing facts they disagree with perhaps they should take a closer look at their own actions and views. Support not snipe.

yeah!

:lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Nov 2010 10:20

Snowball
floyd__streete
Snowball I LOVE disagreement.

No you don't.

Floyd, you haven't a CLUE, what I like. I love reasoned argument, have been in many debating societies.

biggest whooooosh ever for snowball there- howdyamissthat?!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2010 14:43

handbags_harris
I suggest you trust my memory more than others because it is a known fact that I have a fantastic memory for minute detail within games, many on these boards will back that up. It also serves to show that your memory is sh*t or Brendan Rodgers's was conning himself into thinking we hadn't conceded. Fact is that we conceded within 10 minutes at Oakwell last season and were definitely absolutely battered until we equalised, no conning myself there. For your information, left wing corner headed in at the near post by Andy Gray.

I know when we conceded HH.

I don't think it follows that you can't concede while "controlling" a game. It happens.

The point was simply about Dodger seeing things wrong and then (eventually) correcting himself

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Nov 2010 15:12

Ahem...

Snowball We were SLAUGHTERED for 25 minutes or so but Barnsley didn't score.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2010 15:18

Royal Rother Ahem...

Snowball We were SLAUGHTERED for 25 minutes or so but Barnsley didn't score.

Fairy Nuff. I wasn't speaking for "me" I was paraphrasing. I know the goals, the times etc.

'T'weren't my point, tho' were it. I was talking about the general demeanour and words of Rodgers.

In fact, IF I had forgotten the Barnsley goal, that would make my point STRONGER, would it not?

The point is that Rodgers saw us as in control of the game when we were being hammered and Barnsley should have been out of sight.

Immediately after the game he recalled the facts incorrectly. Me dropping a goal a year later is neither here not there.
Barnsley having a goal makes the point even more-so.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2010 15:20

Why does it always have to be about making your point stronger, or being right, or someone else being wrong.....

Differences of opinion ARE acceptable.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2010 15:22

Wycombe Royal Why does it always have to be about making your point stronger, or being right, or someone else being wrong.....

That wasn't ABOUT a difference of opinion. If anything, it was a woooosh

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2010 15:25

Snowball
Wycombe Royal Why does it always have to be about making your point stronger, or being right, or someone else being wrong.....

THere was a whooosh in there? I can't see it, it just looks like another your normal posts claiming superiority to me.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2010 15:27

Wycombe Royal
Snowball

THere was a whooosh in there? I can't see it, it just looks like another your normal posts claiming superiority to me.

A woosh to/for ME

2027 posts