Shane Long - New Contract

The Positive One!

Re: Shane Long - New Contract

by The Positive One! » 05 Nov 2010 08:56

The best news - well done Shane.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 05 Nov 2010 09:11

Interestingly, it is not a very long contract. It is as though management can't quite make its mind up. It is an endorsement but not a whole-hearted one.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2010 09:16

Broxroyal Interestingly, it is not a very long contract. It is as though management can't quite make its mind up. It is an endorsement but not a whole-hearted one.

Agreed. Seems an odd one, maybe it's Long that only wanted the short term extension to leave his options open or in case he doesn't see the club matching his ambitions.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 05 Nov 2010 10:09

I am glad he has a new contract but also a bit surprised that it is only a year extension. Well done Shane. Ignore those on here that do not understand your contribution.

Probably a case of encouraging him to push on. If he does well until the end of the season then the club could extend the contract again but if not the year extension gives the club the option to sell rather than him leaving on a free.

specialjon

by specialjon » 05 Nov 2010 12:28

Hoop Blah Agreed. Seems an odd one, maybe it's Long that only wanted the short term extension to leave his options open or in case he doesn't see the club matching his ambitions.

Surely he should try and match the clubs ambition for him to have a better first touch and to score some goals? If what you says is the case, then he is deluded beyond belief about his own ability. I don't think he's rubbish like alot of people on here but I think he's at his level, playing for us. I think top half of the championship is about right for him.

zummerset

by zummerset » 05 Nov 2010 12:34

Harpers So Solid Crew
Royalee Should've ditched this clown and given Rasiak a new contract, at least he'd have scored some goals.

Yeah cos Rasiak wanted to play here didnt he, lazy fecker. And he was banging goals in left right and centre. But not headers as he could not bother jumping.

Rasiak was too slow to get off the ground...I would rather have Long full of beans and chasing everything. A good move...

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2010 13:47

This is gr8 news. By the time this new contract expires Shane might even be closing in on the 50 career-goal mark. Or perhaps not.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Nov 2010 14:47

tlcs
Royalee Should've ditched this clown and given Rasiak a new contract, at least he'd have scored some goals.

Royalee.....youre such a prat

Nothing unreasonable with what Royalee is saying tbh ( :shock: ).

I'm sure Snowball will provide beautiful stats to show Rasiak's fairly decent goalscoring record. It might, just might, better the slightly disappointing record from Mr Zero.

Ah but hang on... he didn't "work hard" so it's quite likely the FA would've disallowed all those goals come the end of the season after video analysis.

In all seriousness though would be great to have Rasiak here alongside Long, who in fairness needs someone alongide him if he's to be anything other than a vastly overpaid headless chicken to "tire out the defenders" (which is, incidentally the most laughably stupid excuse I've ever heard).

But little Reading cannot offord that.

It's not as though we had MILLIONS from being in the prem, MILLIONS from player sales, MILLIONS from parachute payments, XXX from increased attendance/ticket prices and spent almost none of it on anyone is it? And it's certainly not as though Madejski received a further unwanted and unexpected (according to him) surprise lottery windfall of 7 MILLION from the sale of Gylfi is it?

We can bitch all we like about Long being totally useless in the role and we can move the goalposts as much as we like when coming up with ever-changing and progressively dafter excuses for why we're continuing to play/pay Mr Zero but the fact of the matter is Madejski has ruined this club in his attempt to suck money from it and make it a Nearly Club i.e. a club that generates money and stays in that comfortable and relatively lucrative zone of being far too good to go down but JUST not good enough to go up, for the want of just one or two blindingly obvious positions of investment.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Nov 2010 14:48

you cant bitch all you want- this is a positivity thread

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Nov 2010 14:51

brendywendy you cant bitch all you want- this is a positivity thread

Ok. I'm positive we signed Mr Zero.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2010 15:26

Rasiak played 18 (18) = 21 games for us and scored 10 goals

That's not bad is it?

But he wasn't pretty...

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 05 Nov 2010 15:51

Hopefully he can stick a few past that fat tw*t Paddy Kenny tomorrow on the back of this

Cookie

by Cookie » 05 Nov 2010 16:10

LoyalRoyalFan I for one am pleased that Shane and the club have decided to renew his contract.

No negativity on this thread.

Push on Shane and show us that you can score.

Yeah, I like him. He's a grafter.
I didn't hear any boos when he got taken off last week, if you read the Chronicle back page McDermott was angry, he says he's sick of fans criticizing Shane.

Brian, I though about booing because you took him off. :wink:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 05 Nov 2010 16:16

Meanwhile, back in the Real World....

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 05 Nov 2010 16:43

Nobby Great to see Shane has signed a new contract.

Great that Gylfi signed a new contract too in April.

Because it will be a tragedy for the club if some mental German billionaire offers £7 million quid for Shane Long?

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 05 Nov 2010 16:56

Handsome Man

Because it will be a tragedy for the club if some mental German billionaire offers £7 million quid for Shane Long?

If the leave the Sig on their bench I'm not sure Shane would have much chance.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/st ... 10&cc=5739

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Nov 2010 17:03

winchester_royal Good. Despite the abuse he's taken from some, he is still easily good enough to play at this level. Hopefully soon he'll have someone to play off though.

i know alot of people get on his back, but he always puts in 100%, unfortunately he isnt a natural goalscorer and needs someone who is to play alongside him....the amount of headers he wins against centre backs is quite amazing esp as they are alot taller

he's also the perfect type of striker away from home, but needs a few more goals

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Nov 2010 17:06

Z175
Handsome Man

If the leave the Sig on their bench I'm not sure Shane would have much chance.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/st ... 10&cc=5739

i saw the hoffenheim v hannover game and tbh, reading would have easily beat hannover...hoff looked good though...sig didnt do much as most play was on opposite wing, winger there was good,but when sig did get the ball he got 2 goals and set up another....very impressive

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Nov 2010 17:06

Snowball Rasiak played 18 (18) = 21 games for us and scored 10 goals

That's not bad is it?

But he wasn't pretty...

but he was s**t

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Nov 2010 17:09

Are you insane.....rasiak was slow but always got goals, but id rather have long...at least he's young and will terrorise defences, rasiak was more likely to have a sleep in the centre circle then pop up with a goal when he could be bothered

long isnt brilliant but he's a good squad player to have as he adds something different to out setup