Have you ever been attacked at a game?

148 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Have you ever been attacked at a game?

by RoyalBlue » 06 Nov 2010 18:27

Big Foot I was attacked by a short bearded fan in the Upper Tier today, outrageous

Bill Oddie turned up? :shock:

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 06 Nov 2010 21:09

Hendon in the cup was my first away game. Got a bit nasty on the way back to the coaches.
Thursday night game at Stockport, me and three mates made a unflattering comment about the area on the way back to the car only for some mental northern bloke aged about 60 who was out with his missus walking their dog to want to fight all of us!!!
Play off semi first leg at Wolves. One of their boys took a shine to my mates sister and insisted on showing us his "Subway Crew" badge during our walk back to the car. Had to walk past a pub that was overflowing with hoolies only for this bloke to shout over to his mates that we were Reading c***s but were we alright!!!

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 06 Nov 2010 21:51

Over the years took a few punches & gave a few out.

All a bit peaceful these days :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Nov 2010 22:24

I've had bricks chucked at me by Millwall, Stoke and Bristol City. I was also "approached" by a Man Utd fan outside Elm Park who I believe took offence to my rather splendid sheepskin jacket - although I couldn't understand a word the incomprehensible Northern tw*t was saying.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 08 Nov 2010 13:45

leon I've had bricks chucked at me by Millwall, Stoke and Bristol City. I was also "approached" by a Man Utd fan outside Elm Park who I believe took offence to my rather splendid sheepskin jacket - although I couldn't understand a word the incomprehensible Northern tw*t was saying.

Those Surrey accents can get a bit thick sometimes.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 08 Nov 2010 22:29

tilehurstender Hendon in the cup was my first away game. Got a bit nasty on the way back to the coaches.

Think that was the replay after a 1-1 draw at Elm Park?

The away end was full of Tottenham who'd come for a day out. Remember the police nicking a few on the Town End - then coming up with the brilliant wheeze of walking them through the back of the South Bank, where they proved easy picking for our brave boys. Classic Queen.

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 08 Nov 2010 23:16

leon I've had bricks chucked at me by Millwall, Stoke and Bristol City. I was also "approached" by a Man Utd fan outside Elm Park who I believe took offence to my rather splendid sheepskin jacket - although I couldn't understand a word the incomprehensible Northern tw*t was saying.

Why was he from Oxford !!!!!!!111

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Nov 2010 08:32

never been hit, but surrendered my silk RFC scarf in that Pompey game in the Tilehurst end (they did come from the Southbank).

When they got in they started mugging the home fans for cash. One little runt, I know I could have had 'im :lol: , asked for my scarf and I refused. He then came back with three mates, asked me if I wanted a broken nose, so I handed it over. Vaguely similar thing happened on the way back to the coaches 29/12/77 (year may be wrong) at the Manor Ground, I got surrounded and they asked for my scarf, which I gave.

I also ran for my life back to the coaches at Wealdstone, but that episode has been the subject of many nostalgic posts on here. Was there really a threat? We'll never know. I heard the "they're coming" and ran like the rest.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Nov 2010 08:39

YateleyRoyal . Saw the same group of fans beating the sh*t out of some Cardiff guy in the town centre and were just about to start on his missus when Uncle William turned up.

Heroes, every one

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 09 Nov 2010 09:35

So, another +1 to the brick throwing antics of Milwall outside the East Stand in the late 90/00's. I had bent down to pick up my programme that I'd dropped and a brick hit the burger van I was next to, where my head had been level wise moments before.

Further back I was punched in the guts by some Portsmouth fans outside EP in the mid/late 90's in a rare victory for us (I think). Totally random and with no colours. In the famous 2-0 win at their place in the relegation season I was chased back to my car - again no colours. Perhaps I have Reading-mong BO that attracts the yokels.

Back in the uni days, I got caught up in some classic old skool police convoy stuff at Sixfields after Fulham (then 3rd division with Conway up front) lost to Northampton 2-0. They'd kicked off in and outside the ground, and on the bus back to town we were diverted by the po-po...straight into a set of Fulham idiots who proceeded to give the bus an absolute pasting with bricks and all sorts.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Nov 2010 10:08

"Funny how people remember things differently. The way I recall it, they charged across the pitch and into the Southbank just as the game was about to kick off but they came from the seats adjacent to the Town End. I believe that is how they managed to elude the police!"

I expect you're right, RB. I was talking about scenes at the end of the match (well about 5 mins before the end to be precise) when they came from the Southbank. Your description would explain how they got into the Southbank. They must have been playing "musical chairs" for 90 minutes!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Nov 2010 17:27

Anyone recall Stoke at home (McGhee's first game in charge) on the last day of the 1992/93 season?

A crowd of 5,000 with 2,000 in the Town End. It was blindingly obvious all game that Stoke were going on the pitch at the end of the match - only the Old Bill didn't seem to predict it. So, final whistle blows and they're over the fence and into the Southbank - which empties in about 20 seconds flat. I think the steward who manned the gate under the clock got a pasting. Anyone else?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2010 17:41

Jerry St Clair Anyone recall Stoke at home (McGhee's first game in charge) on the last day of the 1992/93 season?

A crowd of 5,000 with 2,000 in the Town End. It was blindingly obvious all game that Stoke were going on the pitch at the end of the match - only the Old Bill didn't seem to predict it. So, final whistle blows and they're over the fence and into the Southbank - which empties in about 20 seconds flat. I think the steward who manned the gate under the clock got a pasting. Anyone else?

Remember it well. I think Birmingham tried similar a few years later. Remember a couple of their lot watching the last few minutes of the game from the touchline behind the goal. Stewards didn't seem to want to touch 'em, for fear of precipitating the inevitable pitch invasion, which happened anyway when the final whistle went.

The day against Stoke a couple of the Stoke lads who got in to the South Bank did get a cuff or two, tbf. We slapped a couple of them as it was simply out of order. Didn't really mind them having a last day hoolie, but when they had a pop at us then it was time to have a slap back.

Did the same when Swansea went off when they had that mass day on ketamine in the 90s. Some skinny bastard in a white jumper was giving it large all day. Eventually he got nicked. I 'helped' the police restrain him by 'holding on to his face' for a while, while they got the cuffs on him.

I never used to mind the away fans giving it large at Elm Park. But when they started having a pop at innocent Reading fans enough was enough. One had to 'administer' some of the same, however distasteful or lower order that may seem to more modern followers of the club. It came from a protective instinct.

Mintymurray

by Mintymurray » 09 Nov 2010 19:01

Bolton at Wembley, Got spat on so hit the fella, a mate got pulled and only a salvage operation wrestle him away from OB and he eventually saw game. Southbank was manic when MUFC in cup, saw some real violence, laughs and some quite sad scenes, Did they ever find the lad who threw the coin at lino? Recall lots of photos in EP that week. A couple of Henley boys were a bit useful and always in the thick of any action.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Nov 2010 19:05

Ian Herring
Jerry St Clair Anyone recall Stoke at home (McGhee's first game in charge) on the last day of the 1992/93 season?

Remember it well. I think Birmingham tried similar a few years later. Remember a couple of their lot watching the last few minutes of the game from the touchline behind the goal. Stewards didn't seem to want to touch 'em, for fear of precipitating the inevitable pitch invasion, which happened anyway when the final whistle went.

The day against Stoke a couple of the Stoke lads who got in to the South Bank did get a cuff or two, tbf. We slapped a couple of them as it was simply out of order. Didn't really mind them having a last day hoolie, but when they had a pop at us then it was time to have a slap back.

Did the same when Swansea went off when they had that mass day on ketamine in the 90s. Some skinny bastard in a white jumper was giving it large all day. Eventually he got nicked. I 'helped' the police restrain him by 'holding on to his face' for a while, while they got the cuffs on him.

I never used to mind the away fans giving it large at Elm Park. But when they started having a pop at innocent Reading fans enough was enough. One had to 'administer' some of the same, however distasteful or lower order that may seem to more modern followers of the club. It came from a protective instinct.

You are Danny Dyer AICMFP.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Nov 2010 19:11

I do remember going to Stockport V Cardiff in the 80's. Was sitting on a wall outside Edgely Park when this, what can only be politely described as, Welsh Midget came up to me and tried to push me but was so pissed he missed. He the muttered "Where's your top boys then?" as he stuffed his face with a pukka pie. I pointed back the way he had come. He turned round and I never saw him again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Nov 2010 19:38

Man Friday "Funny how people remember things differently. The way I recall it, they charged across the pitch and into the Southbank just as the game was about to kick off but they came from the seats adjacent to the Town End. I believe that is how they managed to elude the police!"

I expect you're right, RB. I was talking about scenes at the end of the match (well about 5 mins before the end to be precise) when they came from the Southbank. Your description would explain how they got into the Southbank. They must have been playing "musical chairs" for 90 minutes!

They certainly moved around a bit once they were in the Southbank. There were charges from side to side as some of the Southbankers did put up a fight.

I think they ended up at the Tilehurst end of the Southbank and probably then charged across into the Tilehurst End.

Mintymurray Bolton at Wembley, Got spat on so hit the fella, a mate got pulled and only a salvage operation wrestle him away from OB and he eventually saw game. Southbank was manic when MUFC in cup, saw some real violence, laughs and some quite sad scenes, Did they ever find the lad who threw the coin at lino? Recall lots of photos in EP that week. A couple of Henley boys were a bit useful and always in the thick of any action.

I recall that once when MUFC turned up for a game they decided to cause some problems in The Butts Centre. Story (urban myth?) had it they encountered some local Hells Angels who dealt with the matter by throwing one of them off the first floor balcony!

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 09 Nov 2010 19:47

Non PC but I wish we had a few more lairy fans at home. :roll:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Nov 2010 20:13

LUX never been hit, but surrendered my silk RFC scarf in that Pompey game in the Tilehurst end (they did come from the Southbank).

When they got in they started mugging the home fans for cash. One little runt, I know I could have had 'im :lol: , asked for my scarf and I refused. He then came back with three mates, asked me if I wanted a broken nose, so I handed it over. Vaguely similar thing happened on the way back to the coaches 29/12/77 (year may be wrong) at the Manor Ground, I got surrounded and they asked for my scarf, which I gave.

I also ran for my life back to the coaches at Wealdstone, but that episode has been the subject of many nostalgic posts on here. Was there really a threat? We'll never know. I heard the "they're coming" and ran like the rest.

I remember that. I started running like everyone else then it occurred to me after about 50 yards that around 500 youths were running down a road for no particular reason. So I stopped and just let everyone else keep going. I think there may have been a few Chelsea/Wealdsone fans at the back who panicked hundreds of Reading fans. They must still be laughing about that now.

When I got back to the coaches people were throwing themselves on as if being chased by a pack of werewolves whereas in reality, as you say, there was absolutely nothing happening at all.

That game was also famous for a group of Aldershot fans turning up quite unexpectedly, to taunt the Reading fans. Recall they took a few blows.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2010 20:35

Royal With Cheese
Ian Herring

You are Danny Dyer AICMFP.

Pwopa nawty my saaahhhhhn.

Etc.

148 posts