Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 00:44

winchester_royal
Snowball
winchester_royal Of course you are also ignoring that Doyle spent a fair amount of the 2nd prem season out on the wing.

Like, say KEBE?

So now you're claiming that that it's just as easy to score from RM than it is up front?

Seriously, get out.

Nope, I just love the way you keep finding ways to excuse Doyle. Kebe is a notoriously bad finisher (well always was) and last season got 12 as right winger, in half a season.

Doyle is playing up front and centre for Wolves. With tonight's game, this season he is 11 (1) Prem Games for ZERO goals. I guess there must be a different explanation, then...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 00:46

Long had no right to get to that ball, but he did, and he had to hit it immediately. When yer luck's in they go in. I wouldn't call it a bad miss.

And yes he had a good game.

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 11 Nov 2010 00:49

Snowball Long had no right to get to that ball
He's a football player, he was on the pitch and he is naturally meant to get the ball.

I'd say he had every right to get to the ball :roll:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2010 00:50

Snowball Long had no right to get to that ball, but he did, and he had to hit it immediately. When yer luck's in they go in. I wouldn't call it a bad miss.

He had enough time to line it up. I agree completely he played well and it was his work ethic that made that chance. Him chasing a complete lost cause forced the mistake from the defender. The keeper was stranded, the ball sat up perfectly for him, it need a pass over his head and in and he put it wide. It's a chance that has to be taken by an international centre forward. If that fell to Bothroyd or Chopra, 100% guarantee that hits the net.

It's the difference really between Cardiff in 2nd and Reading in 10th. The forwards.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 00:53

dantheloyalroyal
He's a football player, he was on the pitch and he is naturally meant to get the ball.

So AP calling it a lost cause is incorrect?

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 11 Nov 2010 01:02

Snowball
dantheloyalroyal

So AP calling it a lost cause is incorrect?
No.

But you saying that a footballer player has no right to get to a ball is.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 01:15

"He had no right to get that ball"

is just another way of saying, 19/20 times that's an easy ball for the defence, and player X did exceedingly well to win it..."

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Nov 2010 02:52

Alan Partridge
Snowball Long had no right to get to that ball, but he did, and he had to hit it immediately. When yer luck's in they go in. I wouldn't call it a bad miss.

He had enough time to line it up. I agree completely he played well and it was his work ethic that made that chance. Him chasing a complete lost cause forced the mistake from the defender. The keeper was stranded, the ball sat up perfectly for him, it need a pass over his head and in and he put it wide. It's a chance that has to be taken by an international centre forward. If that fell to Bothroyd or Chopra, 100% guarantee that hits the net.

It's the difference really between Cardiff in 2nd and Reading in 10th. The forwards.

er durr, chopra had an identical chance in the 1st half mr short memory and he ballooned it over, miles worse than long's miss - had a good view of both chaances in the north stand

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 07:53

Chopra doesn't play for us, so his miss is due to an unlucky bounce, Divine intervention etc

Long OTOH is a Reading player and is therefore shit.

I thought we got some decent shots in, on target.

The Cardiff strikers had a stinker. Had they been at their best we'd've lost 1-4

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Nov 2010 09:03

royalsteve
Alan Partridge

er durr, chopra had an identical chance in the 1st half mr short memory and he ballooned it over, miles worse than long's miss - had a good view of both chaances in the north stand

It was similar, it was not identical.

Long will be kicking himself this morning, which is a shame as he played very well.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Nov 2010 09:05

Long had a great game up until Church went off, his attitude suddenly changed and he looked sluggish and disinterested.

Wonder how many more interviews he's gonna give to the press about "dis next game will be da oine for me to make moi mark" :|

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Nov 2010 09:12

Snowball I wouldn't call it a bad miss

:lol:

I would have been embarrassed to miss that. 1 v 1, ball sitting up, keeper's off his line - how big does Shane need the goal to be these days?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 09:13

Big Foot Long had a great game up until Church went off, his attitude suddenly changed and he looked sluggish and disinterested.

Wonder how many more interviews he's gonna give to the press about "dis next game will be da oine for me to make moi mark" :|

Well like us he knows there's a lot more variety and space-making 442, and that being the 1 in 451 is a hard slog... Also when we looked like we were gonna try to nick the 1-0, maybe that's a downer for a striker

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Nov 2010 10:04

Snowball
Big Foot Long had a great game up until Church went off, his attitude suddenly changed and he looked sluggish and disinterested.

Well like us he knows there's a lot more variety and space-making 442, and that being the 1 in 451 is a hard slog... Also when we looked like we were gonna try to nick the 1-0, maybe that's a downer for a striker

Either way, I'd call his professionalism into doubt

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2010 10:05

Big Foot
Snowball

Either way, I'd call his professionalism into doubt

Well you're the expert. Ring McDermott and have him sold.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 11 Nov 2010 10:19

FWIW, I thought Long had a gr8 first half yesterday - Won headers, got the ball under control, played some decent balls in etc. However he did fade in the second though. Looked half-a*sed again, poor touch etc. and the "lob" was simply shocking. I've seen better efforts at FFF.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2010 10:23

royalsteve
Alan Partridge

It wasn't identical, Long's was a lot to easier on all honesty, as he didn't have to stretch like Chopra, it was more central and he had more time to line it up but I felt he too should have scored it. He's not quite been in the sort of form this season as he has been previously for Cardiff. Still think if either him or Bothroyd had the chances Reading had last night they'd have put them away.

Put elsewhere, Reading are one decent natural finisher away from being a top 6 team in my opinion. That person to partner Long, not replace.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Nov 2010 11:35

Snowball
Big Foot
Snowball Either way, I'd call his professionalism into doubt

Well you're the expert. Ring McDermott and have him sold.

I'm no expert, much like you're no expert or the next man

I'm not calling for him to be sold, however you've got to question the professionalism of a striker who "won't put the effort in because he's disheartened with the team clinging to a 1-0 lead" :|

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Nov 2010 11:36

Hugo Boss FWIW, I thought Long had a gr8 first half yesterday - Won headers, got the ball under control, played some decent balls in etc. However he did fade in the second though. Looked half-a*sed again, poor touch etc. and the "lob" was simply shocking. I've seen better efforts at FFF.

wow- if hugo is that positive long must have had a great game

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2010 11:38

I thought that was one of Long's poorer performances to be honest. There was a little more creativity (thanks to better movement from Church) but his work rate wasn't as high as usual.

He did his usual winning of headers and closing down defenders at 80% pace, and linked up well with Church a few times, but this mythological work ethic just wasn't there for me. Far too many times he was walking around not making enough effort to get back onside or to close down.

As for the miss. It was pretty poor, and unlike Federici with Chopra's chance their keeper didn't make it as difficult for him, mainly because the run of the ball didn't take it as close to the box.

2027 posts