Hob Nob Regular

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Wimb » 17 Nov 2010 11:17

I'm on the verge of saying Hi Gus....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Nov 2010 11:40

Wimb I'm on the verge of saying Hi Gus....

I've thought about him being on a wind up a couple of times but I can't believe anyone is really that sad to go these lengths to get a reaction on a web forum.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 11:46

I've been looking at players who have got a lot of goals before their 24th birthday

As Shane is now just 23 Years 10 Months.

It gets interesting to see, for example, how many Kevin Doyle (6.5 Million or Dave Kitson 5.5 Million) had at Shane's age

40 Kitson
19 Doyle (44 if you count his goals at Cork

Even the greats like Shearer and Owen were only around the 80 mark, and plenty of those who had goals had them in non-league, the lower leagues or Scotland

89 Goals in Scotland .................... Kris Boyd Was 23:10 18-6-2007
85 Goals for English League Clubs Matty Fryatt (75 Goals at lower league level)
82 Goals for English League Clubs Rob Earnshaw (166 (42) Appearances over 7 Years 29 Days) was 23:10 on 6-Feb-2004
80 Goals for English League Clubs Michael Owen (112 total for Liverpool. He scored 42 goals after Age 23:10, approx 38 League?)
76 Goals for English League Clubs ALAN SHEARER 23 for Southampton, then 53 at Blackburn (up to June 2004)
67 Goals for English League Clubs Nicky Forster (At Gillingham and Brentford in the lower leagues plus 3 for Birmingham
67 Goals for English League Clubs LEROY LITA 30 (2 over age) at RFC 31 in Lower League at Bristol, also 3 Charlton, 3 Norwich under age) Declined since?
63 Goals for English League Clubs Nicky Maynard (33 Goals for Crewe in lower leagues)

44 Goals for English League Clubs Michael Chopra was 23:10 23-10-1987
40 Goals for English League Clubs Dave Kitson Goals in Football League 2 23:10 on 21-11-2003
33 Goals for English League Clubs Shane Long (Championship and Premiership: 10 Goals against Premiership Opposition)
19 Goals for English League Clubs Kevin Doyle was 23:10 on 18th July 2007 (Previously 25 Goals for Cork City)
18 Goals for English League Clubs Simon Church will be 23:10 on 20-Sep-2012 so has 1.7 Seasons to get more goals, say 20? taking him to 37 Goals) (5 Lower League Goals)
18 Goals for English League Clubs JAY BOTHROYD who was 23:10 5th March 2006
17 Goals for English League Clubs THEO WALCOTT (Only 21:6 so has 2 seasons, say 20 goals to come, taking him to 37 Goals approx)[/b]

03 Goals for English League Clubs Steve Morison was 23:10 on 29-Jun-2007 (Northampton)
00 Goals for English League Clubs Jason Scotland was 23:10 on 18 Dec 2002 He had not scored a single goal in England or Scotland. His first British goal was a year later, for Dundee
00 Goals for English League Clubs Lucian Becchio was 23:10 on 28-10-1987

Steve Morisson was at Northampton for a little over 3 Years, 3 Months, 24 Appearances (7 (17), 3 goals and was then released, age 21 Years 4 Months and dropped into non-league where he played for 4.5 Years. His total league goals before his 24th birthday was THREE.

Kris Boyd joined Rangers in 2006 Prior to that he had scored 63 goals in SIX YEARS (153 Appearances) at Kilmarnock, not quite The English Premiership or CCC then 26 goals for Rangers

Michael Chopra was 23:10 23-10-1987. He has had a patchy career, 11 games 0 goals, 17-3-22-6-9-20, 4 this season.. 36 of his total goals have come since his 24th birthday

Alan Shearer scored 53 goals at Blackburn before he was 23:10 and had also got 23 goals at Saints in 118 Appearances

Matty Fryatt was 23:20 5th Jan 2010. Of his total of 85 goals before that age, 74 were in the lower leagues, only 11 in the CCC. Including later goals he has just 11 CCC goals

Jay Bothroyd was 23:10 5th Mar 2006

Nicky Forster was 23:10 in July 1997 He had scored 64 goals in the lower leagues (Brentford and Gillingham
Last edited by Snowball on 17 Nov 2010 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Nov 2010 11:48

Hoop Blah
Wimb I'm on the verge of saying Hi Gus....

I've thought about him being on a wind up a couple of times but I can't believe anyone is really that sad to go these lengths to get a reaction on a web forum.

I'd suspected a windup but I went back and some of his earlier posting are actually fairly sensible. The only other person I could have thought was Starfish who produced that stellar 'Long credits HNA? story' but then that was designed to murk Snowball...

I actually really hope it is a windup because otherwise it reduces my faith in people's common sense and ability to have a rational discussion.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 11:52

There has been very little "rational discussion"

I was cornered from the day I made my first post ever on this forum,
when I argued that Shane Long was under-rated and over-maligned.

I was right then. I'm righter now.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 11:58

More selective stats. You can't compare like for like as there is no like for like. Every player is an individual, with a unique career.

The only fair way is to look at their total career goalscoring record rather than being selective and trying to omit parts of it just because it suits you better. They all started at different ages, they all had different childhoods, they all got their breaks at different times, they all got their breaks at different clubs in different leagues.

Stop trying to level a playing field that is made out of rock. It won't happen.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Nov 2010 12:03

Wycombe Royal More selective stats. You can't compare like for like as there is no like for like. Every player is an individual, with a unique career.

The only fair way is to look at their total career goalscoring record rather than being selective and trying to omit parts of it just because it suits you better. They all started at different ages, they all had different childhoods, they all got their breaks at different times, they all got their breaks at different clubs in different leagues.

This.

And Theo Walcott is a winger.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:08

Wycombe Royal More selective stats. You can't compare like for like as there is no like for like. Every player is an individual, with a unique career.

My argument is a very simple one.

I believe that strikers scoring loads and loads of goals in their teens or early twenties are RARE.

I have taken the names posted, added some RFC players, a few famous names, the league's current top
scorer, and shown that SOME youngsters have done it, but not many in the Premiership or the CCC

This has nothing to do with changing the playing field. It's about saying Long is clearly improving
has 2-3 years yet to reach his prime, and will be, barring a major long-term injury, a serious
force as a striker.

Comparing player who are now 25-26- 27-28-29-30-31 is ignoring how footballers develop.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:12

cmonurz

This.

And Theo Walcott is a winger.

WRONG. Theo Walcott began as a striker. Arsene Wenger asked him to play as a winger to develop his skills

Wenger is on record as saying he sees Walcott as a straight down the centre STRIKER

Theo Walcott can make it as Arsenal's main striker, says Arsène Wenger

• He would love to play in the middle, says Wenger

"Theo would love to play in the middle," Wenger said. "Don't forget that when Thierry Henry came here, he was a winger. When I played Henry as a central striker, he said to me: 'But I can't score goals.' It's difficult to compare the similarities – is Thierry a replica of Theo? Is Theo a replica of Thierry? No. But they have in common tremendous pace, they are good finishers and both are intelligent.

"He [Walcott] is very close to playing that striker role. You know the two goals he scored against Newcastle [in the League Cup last week], they were typical of a striker who plays on a counter-attack. But when I play with only one up front you like a guy who is good in the air sometimes, [for] when you kick it longer."

To emulate Henry, Walcott would have to consistently score 20 goals a season. "He can be prolific as once he is a yard in front of the defender, who can catch him?" Wenger said. "It looks to me that Theo has a calmness in front of goal. Before he rushed his decision, but now he is different."

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 12:14

Here is an image of Snowball thinking about his latest response:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:14

NOVEMBER 2009 Wenger called Theo a striker

Wenger - Walcott could be a fantastic striker

By Nick Teale

Arsène Wenger says Theo Walcott could be a "fantastic" striker and may get a chance to take on the central role in the near future.

However, the Frenchman is cautious about bringing the 20-year-old back into the side too soon after his recovery from a knee injury sustained in the Gunners' 3-1 win over Birmingham in October.

Oops!

PS When does Ian take over the shift?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 12:17

Snowball NOVEMBER 2009 Wenger called Theo a striker

Wenger - Walcott could be a fantastic striker

By Nick Teale

Arsène Wenger says Theo Walcott could be a "fantastic" striker and may get a chance to take on the central role in the near future.

However, the Frenchman is cautious about bringing the 20-year-old back into the side too soon after his recovery from a knee injury sustained in the Gunners' 3-1 win over Birmingham in October.

Oops!

PS When does Ian take over the shift?

The fact that it says "COULD BE" means he isn't now (except in Snowball's world).

Nice "own goal"...
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 17 Nov 2010 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2010 12:29

just shut the oxf*rd up.

what on earth possesses you bunch of sadsacks to even argue with the guy if you think hes that way out there?
id quite happily read the odd stat that i think is interesting, and ignore many of the rest.
its you lots constant harping on, contradicting, whingeing, and insulting that keeps him coming back with more.
if you hadnt bothered this thread would be about 5 pages long.

Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 12:37

brendywendy just shut the oxf*rd up.

what on earth possesses you bunch of sadsacks to even argue with the guy if you think hes that way out there?
id quite happily read the odd stat that i think is interesting, and ignore many of the rest.
its you lots constant harping on, contradicting, whingeing, and insulting that keeps him coming back with more.

I was at the point where it was annoying and ruining my HNA experience. But now I now I am finding that it helps my day go quicker.......if you don't like it don't open the topic as you know what it is going to contain.......

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:43

Wycombe Royal

The fact that it says "COULD BE" means he isn't now (except in Snowball's world).

Nice "own goal"...

You are getting truly DESPERATE now. Have you lost all facility to think?

"Church could be a great striker" does not imply that Church is not currently playing as a striker.

You're ridiculous.

I WATCH Arsenal, am an Arsenal Red Member, read the Arsenal site every day, take the Arseblog.

Every Arsenal fan is talking about Theo as a striker and how, while Arsene played him wide he was wasted.

But oxf*rd, don't let the facts stop you.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:46

Correct. And EVERY time there is a thread unfairly criticising a player, I'll be there.

This bunch of losers, probably never played football, just HAS to have a downer on at least one player to make their own sad lives seem better. If they met them in the Oracle they'd probably wet themselves and beg for an autograph.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2010 12:47

Wycombe Royal

I was at the point where it was annoying and ruining my HNA experience. But now I now I am finding that it helps my day go quicker.......if you don't like it don't open the topic as you know what it is going to contain.......

its every oxf*rd topic

you lot are a malignant cancer on the face of the board that i love

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:47

Ideal Jesus.. this is just getting worse.

I have asked, politely, that HNA posters not use my real name.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Nov 2010 12:50

This very long thread................................... :wink:

2027 posts