The comfort of the concourse

Red
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The comfort of the concourse

by Red » 18 Nov 2010 15:38

Royal With Cheese Why would you want to drink beer in a huge, cold, dirty concrete corridor and crane your neck to see a TV positioned in such a way to guarantee you a headache after 10 minutes?

Imagine a pub that recreated this unique atmos. It wouldn't last very long.

Granted - but the alternative is to go without a drink.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 15:46

Red
Royal With Cheese Why would you want to drink beer in a huge, cold, dirty concrete corridor and crane your neck to see a TV positioned in such a way to guarantee you a headache after 10 minutes?

Granted - but the alternative is to go without a drink.

Hip flask my friend. Hip flask.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 18 Nov 2010 17:42

the added bonus of drinking in the concourse is that you don't really have to watch the football either

Magnus

by Magnus » 18 Nov 2010 17:54

Ever been to Shoreditch? You'd be surprised.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Nov 2010 17:58

Well it's not like you can really be discerning about where you have a half-time beer, is it?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Nov 2010 18:08

I always nip out to have a wee with about 3 minutes of normal time to go in the first half - it's much easier to get into the loo without having to queue, not so many people milling around the concourse - then I go and have a cig. In previous seasons I've missed all number of goals and in the last 2 games alone I've missed 2 sending offs. :oops:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Nov 2010 19:17

The point I am trying to make is that the facilities for the customers on the concourses is poor. For starters, they are way too small and lead to overcrowding. Plenty of clubs have invested in facilities for their supporters knowing that by having improved facilities results in an increase in revenue from the catering. This includes good sized seating areas where families can actually sit together in a modicom of comfort.

Sure, the Mad Stad is an improvement for customers compared to Elm Park. But it could hardly have got any worse.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Nov 2010 19:30

Terminal Boardom The concourses have not been created with the comfort of the customer in mind. Not once has anything been done to remove the prison like look of the breeze blocks. The concourses reflect the overall approach and attitude towards its visitors ie everything on the cheap.

What would you rather your money went on? The team, or plaster and a lick of paint once or twice a year?

I can't have missed more than about 15 minutes of football in 15 years by leaving the stands early or going back late because of toilet / booze / food. Personally I just don't get it. I enjoy a beer (not the piss at the mad stad) with a game, but not enough to miss watching the match live.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Nov 2010 19:31

Much as I love beer because I am a bloody bloke, the swill they serve up inside the Madj is such over-priced sh*t that I am more than happy to go three hours without a beer in order to avoid it.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Nov 2010 19:52

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom The concourses have not been created with the comfort of the customer in mind. Not once has anything been done to remove the prison like look of the breeze blocks. The concourses reflect the overall approach and attitude towards its visitors ie everything on the cheap.

What would you rather your money went on? The team, or plaster and a lick of paint once or twice a year?

I can't have missed more than about 15 minutes of football in 15 years by leaving the stands early or going back late because of toilet / booze / food. Personally I just don't get it. I enjoy a beer (not the piss at the mad stad) with a game, but not enough to miss watching the match live.

I agree with you about the pish they serve up.

Speculate to accumulate. Provide better facilities, open the turnstiles earlier and hey presto, more money into the coffers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Nov 2010 20:25

Not sure you're going to see enough return to make it worth the initial outlay and increased staffing and maintenance costs. Especially if you take into consideration potential relegation and decrease of crowds to about 11k.

But I get where you are coming from.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 18 Nov 2010 21:08

Can you not get served a pint and finish it after the first half whistle?

I'm at the back of Y26 and despite the fact that I leave after the whistle I still have time to get to the bar, buy a pint and finish it before the 2nd half kickoff, I do have to drink it quickly but still there's plenty of time.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 18 Nov 2010 21:18

londinium If you cannot last 2 hours without food or alcohol then you need to see a doctor rather than watching RFC on a small tv on the concourse.

Social lives >> RFC

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Nov 2010 00:07

St Pauli Can you not get served a pint and finish it after the first half whistle?

I'm at the back of Y26 and despite the fact that I leave after the whistle I still have time to get to the bar, buy a pint and finish it before the 2nd half kickoff, I do have to drink it quickly but still there's plenty of time.

I'd rather drink it at a more leisurely pace and miss some more bog average league football tbh.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 19 Nov 2010 15:45

Maguire

Well it's not like you can really be discerning about where you have a half-time beer, is it?

Yes but that's the point - I would have thought you'd be dying to re-take your set come the start of the 2nd half.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Nov 2010 15:52

Looking at a breezeblock doing nothing is actually not that dissimilar to watching Shane Long playing football

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Nov 2010 16:29

Maguire Looking at a breezeblock doing nothing is actually not that dissimilar to watching Shane Long playing football

<<Snowball Mode On>> Do you have any statistics to back this up? <<Snowball Mode Off>>

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Nov 2010 17:56

Maguire Looking at a breezeblock doing nothing is actually not that dissimilar to watching Shane Long playing football

Shane Long's not as mobile.

Cookie

by Cookie » 19 Nov 2010 20:04

Yeah right TB. Nowhere to put your pint either. :lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Nov 2010 23:24

LOL @ those who still feel the need to drink.

Unless you're 16.