Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2010 09:44

Wycombe Royal The one thing that stands out in those minutes per goal stats for this season is that we don't rely on a single, or even two players for our goals. This can be seen as a strength because if we lose one or two goalscorers we will be more confident of goals coming from other players as opposed to a team that relis on say one player for 50% of their goals.

Agreed. It's hard to mark Long, Hunt, Church, Kebe, McAnuff, Antonio, HRK, Harte, Mills, all at the same time

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Nov 2010 12:06

Long is rubbish.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Nov 2010 12:18

Snowball
leon This is all lovely, but Long doesn't score enough goals. Never has, and very likely won't in the near future. Which is when we want him to.

and don't the stats show that, this season, excluding internationals, that is the case?

No! The stats show what has happened in the past.

THEY DO NOT SHOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE

smurfsdabomb

by smurfsdabomb » 20 Nov 2010 16:04

There was an article in the Irish Independent today specifically about this thread, they name it and everything.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 20 Nov 2010 16:08

smurfsdabomb There was an article in the Irish Independent today specifically about this thread, they name it and everything.

Surprised they can afford the internet to be honest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2010 16:08

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Nov 2010 16:10

smurfsdabomb There was an article in the Irish Independent today specifically about this thread, they name it and everything.

Blimey a national inferiority complex I expect as one of their own gets a little bit of criticism or do they think Shane will pocket part of a transfer fee and send money back to the mother country to help pay off the national debt?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Nov 2010 16:11

Stranded http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/long-way-to-go-2428623.html

yikes!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Nov 2010 16:12

:shock:

On one of the most popular fan forums, an irate poster started a thread named, 'Long -- Time To Go' in frustration after the 1-0 defeat to Bristol City last month. As of yesterday, there was over 1,500 messages in response and no clear consensus.

Clearly, it's a divisive argument.

The thrust of the criticism is that while he may be a hard worker, his strike rate is below par. In short, he needs too many chances to score, and is not the man to lead the Royals back to the top division.

Long has started 16 games for Brian McDermott's side this year and scored four goals. But three of those came from the penalty spot; his calm spot-kick conversion for Ireland the other night demonstrated his comfort in that department. The return from open play is seized upon by his detractors.

In truth, the last couple of years have been slightly unusual for Long. After developing an effective super-sub reputation when Steve Coppell brought Reading to the Premier League, a change of personnel thrust responsibility upon his shoulders. When Kevin Doyle set sail for Wolves, Long started the 2009/10 campaign as favourite to be the Championship's top scorer with a new boss in Brendan Rodgers.

Through a combination of injury and loss of form, he didn't score a goal until January, with Rodgers already having got the bullet. Long used to lodge with the new manager McDermott -- who had championed his recruitment in the first place -- and got off the mark with a strike that helped knock Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

It was a mixed bag for the rest of the campaign, with a brace against Aston Villa proving again that he can trouble elite defenders. But the flip side was a moderate total in the league -- hence the scepticism from the Madejski Stadium patrons carrying over into this campaign.

Earlier this month -- just a few weeks after brilliantly deputising for Doyle in Zilina -- he was booed by a section of Reading fans when he was replaced during a Championship meeting with Doncaster.

Props for some proper research, and a decent summary of it all.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Nov 2010 16:15

[quote="Stranded"]http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/long-way-to-go-2428623.html[/quote

Not a bad article and not written by Snowball.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Nov 2010 17:19

Well well well.

After yet another goal by Hunt and Long's sitter's today at least one good thing can come of the result and performance: this thread need not carry on as there is no debate to be had. I'm sure we'll find something else pointless to debate, like is the earth flat, or did the holocaust actually happen...

Thanks to everyone for posting.

It's been emotional.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2010 17:50

2 world wars, 1 world cup Well well well.

After yet another goal by Hunt and Long's sitter's today at least one good thing can come of the result and performance: this thread need not carry on as there is no debate to be had. I'm sure we'll find something else pointless to debate, like is the earth flat, or did the holocaust actually happen...

It's been emotional.

You're forgetting something - the goal was set up on a plate for Hunt by some pace and quality by Long.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Nov 2010 18:35

RoyalBlue

It's been emotional.

You're forgetting something - the goal was set up on a plate for Hunt by some pace and quality by Long.

Fully aware but don't give a sh*t about the odd assist. He's a striker. Not fit for purpose. Proven beyond doubt.

It's been emotional.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 20 Nov 2010 18:59

Dear Ireland,

Shane Long came her what feels like a life time ago. He was a punt at £25k and a player we all expected to see develop over time. The problem is we are all still waiting for him to develop. In my opinion he isn't much better than when he arrived here! He isn't consistant in front of goal and misses far to many chances, some of which are guilt edged. His passing is wayward and he still has a problem bringing the ball under control. He usually needs at least two touches and when closed down quickly it is all to easy to mark him out of a game.

Sadly for Reading he seems to be one of our more important players, such is the situation we find ourselves in now the Chairman has almost sold everyone that was worth anything. (Kebe and McAnuff wont be here for long I'm sure).

Likeable player but just not a very good striker, or passer of the ball, or player.

Regards,
roadrunner

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2010 19:17

Victor Meldrew
Stranded http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/long-way-to-go-2428623.html[/quote

Not a bad article and not written by Snowball.

Are you sure?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2010 19:19

You have a VERY strange definition of sitter. And who laid the goal on a plate for Hunt?

Long had a good game today.

But I'm fed up with the detractors. Come on, let's see some real money bets.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Nov 2010 19:21

I bet a Mars bar and a my half drunk bottle of Stella that Long won't score 20 goals this season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2010 19:23

Let's talk about Church's miss, or Karacan's miss or Hunty's miss.

Players miss chances. STRIKERS miss chances. Both Long's chances were made by power and skill

In the first I expected him to shoot from further out
or lob the keeper, but he held his nerve and kept going

My guess is he didn't even see the defender coming, a defender who made a totally brilliant challenge.

The second was again, all down to his own excellent work, a good shot, a good save

The average for strikers in this league is about 1 goal in 4 chances...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2010 19:24

cmonurz I bet a Mars bar and a my half drunk bottle of Stella that Long won't score 20 goals this season.

In what country are either of these "real money"?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Nov 2010 19:24

Long has only had 4 chances in 17 league games?

2027 posts