Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Ian Royal » 22 Nov 2010 18:36

RoyalBlue According to my QPR supporting mate, Leigertwood is a player who very much divides supporters' opinion.

Great! McDermott seems keen to build up a team full of players who divide supporters' opinion!

So we take on a defensive midfielder and continue to ignore the fact that it is missed goalscoring opportunities which is costing us so many points! :(

I dunno, I think it's just as important we stop conceeding as we start scoring more. Afterall we have scored in every one of the last 6 games, 14 goals in all, but have conceeded 11.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Nov 2010 18:39

We sign Legs of Wood whilst Norwich snap up Henri Lansbury on loan! :twisted:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 18:42

andrew1957 On reflection I think this indicates that Brain has given up all hope of finding a Siggy replacement (within the squad or elsewhere) in a 4-2-3-1 and now intends to revert to 4-4-2 - with either Hunt or Church playing off Long. I don't think there would be any point signing Leigertwood if we were not going to play him, so it looks like he will be the DCM, allowing Karacan in a slightly more offensive role. Will be interesting to see if this improves us.

As I have said many times before I feel sorry for Brian. He built the team around Siggy and I have no doubt that if he had stayed we would have been pressing for promotion this year. Instead Brian has been left with a hotchpot of players and has been experimenting all year to find some system which he can make work. I think the signing of Leigertwood probably indicates that he is not convinced that either Tabb or Howard are the solution at the moment. Howard's performances are very erratic. I feel sorry for Tabb but he and Karacan are too similar and as Karacan is on excellent form, we need a bit more size and power in CM - so on reflection if Leigertwood is any good this makes sense.

I don't think McDermott built ANYTHING last year. He inherited decent players, but a messed-about, dispirited team (at least results-wise as they all talked about Rodgers in extremely favourable terms)... He got them playing (is one way to put it)

Personally, I think the draw at home to Liverpool was a huge bonus, the win away, the stuff of dreams. Suddenly (and possibly fortuitously) the players had something to believe in again, something to lift their heads for, and THEN the results started coming. Take out the cup games and look at Mac's early games

A 1-1 Bristol City
H 1-1 Swansea City
A 1-4 Plymouth
A 1-2 Nottm Forest
A 0-3 Sheffield Utd

W0 D2 L3 4-11

One more defeat and we were probably headed for relegation, confidence totally shot. The cup games were a fantastic distraction and stopped the rot, IMO

That doesn't mean I don't rate McDermott. I think he has done exceedingly well, especially when he's been near-raped for quality players.

I can't say it was a case of "building a team around Siggy". We needed to play Siggy because he was class, but we tried to make a 442 side play 451 and it often showed. This is why it seems odd to talk about a Siggy replacement. Surely you look at your players and play the best system to suit them. We have 4 classic wingers Kebe-McAnuff backed up by HRK and Antonio and 4 strikers born and bred to play 442. Long and Hunt, backed up by Church and Bignall. True a 6' 2" bomber would be nice, but other than that all our players look suited to 442.

We are maybe a tad light in midfield for 442 in that we have Howard (good player but lightweight) and Tabb-Karacan, both excellent DISRUPTIVE, in-yer-face buzz-saw players but not really the type to ever slow a game down, think, and pick out a great pass. We could do with a serious "destroyer" and a fairly strong but creative type.

If we play 451 it must be Hunt in the hole. Hunt on his own up front will be battered and end up out injured.

Long needs a sniffer like Hunt to get some goals and take the pressure away.

I suspect then Long, too will start scoring more

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 18:43

RoyalBlue According to my QPR supporting mate, Leigertwood is a player who very much divides supporters' opinion.

Great! McDermott seems keen to build up a team full of players who divide supporters' opinion!

So we take on a defensive midfielder and continue to ignore the fact that it is missed goalscoring opportunities which is costing us so many points! :(

Is this why we are the top-scoring team in the CCC for the last six games?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 22 Nov 2010 18:45

SIGN A STRIKER

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 22 Nov 2010 18:50

matty fryatt is still being linked with us? the loan window ends this week, interesting to see if we do make a move for him or another striker?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Nov 2010 18:55

Snowball

Do you actually watch any games or are you too busy playing with your stats?

And why pick the last six games? Let me see, because that was the only choice that would suit your argument!

Your stats belong in the mouths of our mealy mouthed, deceitful politicians.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 18:56

There's a player did quite well in Scotland as a winger and striker.
He then played at the top end of the championship in a side that
came fourth and made the play-offs. Quality finisher.

He scored 13 goals despite only playing 29 Starts, each just 60-65 minutes
and is as brave as they come.

He had major surgery last year and has come back carefully,
and is now fully fit, and scoring goals for fun, 3 in his last 3 games.

I have it on good authority he will play for RFC without any fee involved
and any increase in our wage bill. Nice bloke too. And Irish.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 19:00

RoyalBlue
Do you actually watch any games or are you too busy playing with your stats?

Don't judge everybody by your own, one-thing-at-a-time-cos-my-brain-hurts low standards.

And why pick the last six games? Let me see, because that was the only choice that would suit your argument!

Actually, One-Note, it's because another Nobber posted the fact yesterday. I hadn't even noticed.

I merely notice that we are 7th best attack in the league OVER THE WHOLE SEASON, and fifth best team on GD OVER THE WHOLE SEASON

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Nov 2010 19:05

Snowball average players from mid-table sides a season ago? Re-arrange the following phrase or saying

Gives a oxf*rd who?

I bet in 5-10 years time no-one remembers average Shane Long from mid-table Reading either 8)

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 22 Nov 2010 19:10

Snowball Personally, I think the draw at home to Liverpool was a huge bonus, the win away, the stuff of dreams. Suddenly (and possibly fortuitously) the players had something to believe in again, something to lift their heads for, and THEN the results started coming. Take out the cup games and look at Mac's early games

A 1-1 Bristol City
H 1-1 Swansea City
A 1-4 Plymouth
A 1-2 Nottm Forest
A 0-3 Sheffield Utd

W0 D2 L3 4-11

OR

You take his first 5 games as permanent manager

H 1-0 Barnsley
A 2-1 Doncaster
H 2-0 Plymouth
A 3-1 Crystal Palace
A 0-2 Blackpool

W4 D0 L1 8-4

He wasn't able to bring in his ideas until he was instilled on a permanent basis, therefore you can't use the games where he was only caretaker because he wasn't able to do his own stuff.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Nov 2010 19:42

Is that the loan signing derm was on about last week.

I would guess so. :shock:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 22 Nov 2010 20:36

How do we pronounce Leigertwood?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Nov 2010 21:25

Snowball

When Ian talked about our goalscoring didn't you endlessly slate him saying goals scored didn't matter and that it's goal difference that mattered most? Talk about choosing which stats to pull out when it suits you most!

We drew the last however many games because our goalscoring comes at the expense of leaking goals.

We leak goals because we're so damned toothless up front that it rapes the team and exposes our class defenders to score.

Attack is the best form of defence and our attacking squad is not, overall, anywhere near fit for purpose. When the men paid first and foremost to score are not doing the job (Hunt and Church excepted but sadly they are not the main starters) the rest of the team has to push forward and do it and that's when holes develop and we see class acts like Kish and Mills facing errors.

This is getting beyond a joke.

WE NEED A STRIKER AS A MATTER OF URGENCY

Not knocking this guy though - if he's good enough for Brian, he's good enough for me.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Nov 2010 21:30

Snowball There's a player did quite well in Scotland as a winger and striker.

Two strikers and man who according to Brian isn't a striker but just someone designed to tire out defenders is not enough competition. We need someone else to add competition.

Maybe Madejski and Howe could put the wages they pay you into actually signing a decent striker?

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 22 Nov 2010 21:31

loyalroyal4life Is that the loan signing derm was on about last week.

I would guess so. :shock:

I can't be arsed with it anymore. Just try and stay up, bit of mid-table excitement if you're lucky.

Legsofwood<<<<<<<<<<Lansbury.

We have accept that we cannot compete with the big clubs in this division.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Nov 2010 21:35

RoyalJames101
Snowball Personally, I think the draw at home to Liverpool was a huge bonus, the win away, the stuff of dreams. Suddenly (and possibly fortuitously) the players had something to believe in again, something to lift their heads for, and THEN the results started coming. Take out the cup games and look at Mac's early games

A 1-1 Bristol City
H 1-1 Swansea City
A 1-4 Plymouth
A 1-2 Nottm Forest
A 0-3 Sheffield Utd

W0 D2 L3 4-11

OR

You take his first 5 games as permanent manager

H 1-0 Barnsley
A 2-1 Doncaster
H 2-0 Plymouth
A 3-1 Crystal Palace
A 0-2 Blackpool

W4 D0 L1 8-4

He wasn't able to bring in his ideas until he was instilled on a permanent basis, therefore you can't use the games where he was only caretaker because he wasn't able to do his own stuff.

Sorry to pick on three of your posts in a row, Snowball, but it's fast coming clear to me (and remember I think you're a top bloke), that almost everything you write is quite questionable and contradicts a previous post of yours somehow! I may be wrong but was it not you who not long ago discounted Brian's first few games as irrelevant because it was his time to bed in? And now all of sudden you're going back on that argument and using them because it helps make a different point?????

I do agree Liverpool was a big plus though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Nov 2010 21:37

And if he gets injured?

Sheer Madejski cost cutting lunacy expecting a team to mount a sensible campaign with just three 'senior' strikers on its books.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Nov 2010 21:45

RoyalBlue

And if he gets injured?

Sheer Madejski cost cutting lunacy expecting a team to mount a sensible campaign with just three 'senior' strikers on its books.

I suggest you learn how to count, with all due respect.

Hunt, Church... who is our third?????

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 22 Nov 2010 21:51

leww_rfc How do we pronounce Leigertwood?

I think it is "Lighter-wood"

830 posts