Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 17:44

In his last 40 appearances Long has scored 216.67% as many goals as Church, 433% when compared to Hunt.

More than Kebe also.

And this is playing almost exclusively 4-5-1 when he's clearly more suited to 4-4-2

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Nov 2010 17:45

Snowball
Wycombe Royal International performances are irrelevant in relation to club performances (of course snowball won't agree).

International performances are not irrelevant when judging a player's quality

If a player was scoring 1 in 1 regularly for his country
against decent international opposition, after a while
we'd need to question, not the player, but how the club plays him

They are irrelevant when talking about a players quality for HIS club. He could score a hattrick every match for Ireland but if he can't score for Reading then his place in the team is in question.

David Healy is a prime example of someone who has performed better for his country than his club.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Nov 2010 17:46

Snowball
Wycombe Royal
Snowball Absolutely and LOOK at the horrendous gap between the two clubs!!

Norwich have got 3 WHOLE goals more than Reading in 19 games! We are falling apart.

We are talking about strikers, not teams. So how many open play goals does Holt have compared to Long (club games only)?

You're talking about the NEED for a striker
Obviously we desperately need to spend
money on transfers and wages to get an extra 3 goals

Now we're talking about the goalscoring record of two strikers. If you are talking about something else then you are talking about it on your own.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Nov 2010 18:26

Fact is, we still need a good target man for the likes of Long, Church and Hunt to feed off.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:30

Wycombe Royal Now we're talking about the goalscoring record of two strikers.

Shane Long is not as good as Messi

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:30

Shane Long is not as good as Berbatov

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Nov 2010 18:32

As a supporter of 45 plus years I have always expected a decent scorer in the squad, you know the kind of player that can get 20 goals in a 46 match season, and is doing it. We do not have that player in the squad at the moment, in fact it is 9 seasons since we had a 20 goal striker, and that was Butler and Cureton in 00/0.

After that I want 3/4 that look like getting 10 each

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:33

Terminal Boardom Fact is, we still need a good target man for the likes of Long, Church and Hunt to feed off.

Partly agree, but more importantly we need to play 4-4-2 and stick to a primary pairing

My current pair would be Long-Hunt with Church coming on around 65 minutes

What was plain on Saturday was we had no PARTNERSHIP up front.

Where anyone was seemed to be random.

4-4-2 with Long-Hunt in fairly predictable positions and we'd score more strikers' goals

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Nov 2010 18:34

Snowball

Why do you do this? Two strikers - Long and Holt. It really isn't hard to follow, but as you know you can't defend Longs scoring record against Holt's this season you just try to avoid it........

A better option would be to say nothing at all.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:35

Harpers So Solid Crew As a supporter of 45 plus years I have always expected a decent scorer in the squad, you know the kind of player that can get 20 goals in a 46 match season, and is doing it. We do not have that player in the squad at the moment, in fact it is 9 seasons since we had a 20 goal striker, and that was Butler and Cureton in 00/0.

Long is currently on for 11 (don't care how many penalties there are)

Hunt can easily get to 10 if he starts all the games

Kebe is on for 11 as we stand

Harte is on for 10-11

Church, even if a regular 25-minutes sub should get 6-10

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:38

Wycombe Royal
Snowball

Why do you do this? Two strikers - Long and Holt. It really isn't hard to follow, but as you know you can't defend Longs scoring record against Holt's this season you just try to avoid it........

A better option would be to say nothing at all.

I am totally not interested in discussing Holt, who gets a hat-trick in one game so all of a sudden is the topic of discussion.

Prior to today's game he had FOUR league goals. The same as Long

Knees + Jerks

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 18:51

Holt's League One Record last season was impressive. Yet Matty Fryatt's record is poo-pooed because it's not "in the Championship."

39 24 League 1 (Excellent, at a lower level)

05 06 Cups (3 goals versus YEOVIL, 2 against PAULTON ROVERS, 1 versus CARLISLE)

Paulton Rovers Football Club are an English football club based at the Athletic Field on Winterfield Road in the village of Paulton near Bristol. They were established in 1881 and currently play in the Southern League Division One South and West.

Long played about half as many games

23.5 06 Goals Championship

02.5 03 Goals (1 versus LIVERPOOL, 2 versus ASTON VILLA)

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Nov 2010 19:12

Snowball
Harpers So Solid Crew As a supporter of 45 plus years I have always expected a decent scorer in the squad, you know the kind of player that can get 20 goals in a 46 match season, and is doing it. We do not have that player in the squad at the moment, in fact it is 9 seasons since we had a 20 goal striker, and that was Butler and Cureton in 00/0.

Harte is on for 10-11

So just 50 goals from the top 5 scorers, and as I said I want a 20 goal striker, the kind that does feck all all game then slips one in from nothing, AKA Curo, Chappell, Friday, Senior, Dixon, Quinn, even Morley.

You know someone that excites the supporters.

I wish Long, Church and Hunt could ALL do it, but it is appearing less and less likely.

Love to see us do what we did many seasons ago in Div 4 when we signed Hollis and Nelson, two scorers from other teams, we need to get a couple of goalscorers in, from league1 or 2, and see if they can cut it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Nov 2010 19:15

Snowball In his last 40 appearances Long has scored 216.67% as many goals as Church, 433% when compared to Hunt.

More than Kebe also.

And this is playing almost exclusively 4-5-1 when he's clearly more suited to 4-4-2

Oh yeah?

Because soccerbase seems to suggest that the records from each player's last 40 appearances are Long 12, Church 10, Hunt 6 if you're including cup and international, which we know you like to do. Or if purely league games then it's Long 10, Church 10, Hunt 8.

baring in mind Church and Hunt have both had more sub appearances in their 40 and have both been played out of position on the wing or in midfield at least a little.

I'd be interested to see how you've worked that out... concisely.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 19:17

Harpers So Solid Crew
So just 50 goals from the top 5 scorers, and as I said I want a 20 goal striker, the kind that does feck all all game then slips one in from nothing, AKA Curo, Chappell, Friday, Senior, Dixon, Quinn, even Morley. You know someone that excites the supporters.

But the problem then is we are playing with ten men. We don't have the sheer quality of some other seasons so we have pace, strength. athleticism of someone like Long. Of course you could replace him with (as one example, Rasiak) and if Rasiak played as he did, he'd get 2 goals every 5 games (maybe) but we'd struggle elsewhere. Did Rasiak tackle back? Did he clear corners? Did he get assists?

As long as we can't/won't invest in real class then we have to do it down-and-dirty.

I hear the cry for the 20+ striker, but the man we sold for 6.5 MILLION couldn't do it!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 19:19

Ian Royal
Snowball In his last 40 appearances Long has scored 216.67% as many goals as Church, 433% when compared to Hunt.

More than Kebe also.

Oh yeah?

Because soccerbase seems to suggest that the records from each player's last 40 appearances are Long 12, Church 10, Hunt 6 if you're including cup and international, which we know you like to do. Or if purely league games then it's Long 10, Church 10, Hunt 8.

baring in mind Church and Hunt have both had more sub appearances in their 40 and have both been played out of position on the wing or in midfield at least a little.

Midge, read the first line of what I wrote. I looked at the last 40 games in which Long appeared.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Nov 2010 19:20

Snowball

Harte is on for 10-11

Assuming that they keep scoring at their current rate.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 19:22

Ian Royal
Because soccerbase seems to suggest that the records from each player's last 40 appearances are Long 12,

I've posted the actual games Long played. Are there 41 or something, cos otherwise it's 13 EXCLUDING international games

Last season he got 9 goals, the first being v Liverpool

This season he has 4.

4 + 9 is 13. (and you can add this season's international goals if you like)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Nov 2010 19:24

Terminal Boardom
Snowball

Harte is on for 10-11

Assuming that they keep scoring at their current rate.

Of course. And one or more of them could start scoring MORE goals.

Holt, for example, got 4 in 18, then 3 in 1, so now he's 7 in 19. He might get 3 next game or he might go 10 without scoring.

I'd bet on Long getting 10+ this season and so will Hunt if he's a first-choice.

I think if we settled on 4-4-2 and a settle PAIRING, they could both do a lot better than that

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Nov 2010 19:27

Snowball
Ian Royal

More than Kebe also.

Oh yeah?

Midge, read the first line of what I wrote. I looked at the last 40 games in which Long appeared.

Oh I see, you used a massively selective sample in which the other two players hadn't got as much pitch time or even as many appearances. Of course, how did I not guess you were making a completely useless and biased comparison to make your favourite player look artificially better.

I apologise for thinking you might be trying to post with even the tiniest bit of credibility. :roll:

2027 posts