Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 09:20

Snowball Was browsing who has scored penalties..

QPR have scored EIGHT already this season from their 25 goals = 22.86% of all their goals

Burnley have had at least 6 Penalties in their 30 Goals = 20%

By comparison Reading have 4 from 28 = 14.28%

So it doesn't seem we are exactly hogging the "let's get a penalty" stakes

On the individual level, here are a few penalty scoreers

11 (03) Appearances 3 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 100% Alexander (Burnley)
15 (03) Appearances 4 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 075% Lukas Jutkiewitz (Coventry)
14 (01) Appearances 6 Total Goals includes 4 Penalties = 067% Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth)
13 (04) Appearances 5 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 060% Eagles (Burnley)
13 (00) Appearances 5 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 060% Heidar Helgusson (QPR)
04 (09) Appearances 2 Total Goals includes 1 Penalties = 050% Tommy Smith (QPR)
13 (01) Appearances 6 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 050% Billy Sharp (Doncaster)
19 (00) Appearances 9 Total Goals includes 4 Penalties = 044% Taraabt (QPR)

What exactly are you trying to prove by showing that? All it tells me is most clubs have a regular penalty taker. It also doesn't change the fact that Shane Long has scored 75% of his goals from the penalty spot whilst missing all his chances from open play (I don't class the 25 yarder he scored as a chance - it was just a fantastic hit from distance).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 10:22

Wycombe Royal
Snowball Was browsing who has scored penalties..

QPR have scored EIGHT already this season from their 25 goals = 22.86% of all their goals

Burnley have had at least 6 Penalties in their 30 Goals = 20%

By comparison Reading have 4 from 28 = 14.28%

So it doesn't seem we are exactly hogging the "let's get a penalty" stakes

On the individual level, here are a few penalty scoreers

11 (03) Appearances 3 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 100% Alexander (Burnley)
15 (03) Appearances 4 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 075% Lukas Jutkiewitz (Coventry)
14 (01) Appearances 6 Total Goals includes 4 Penalties = 067% Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth)
13 (04) Appearances 5 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 060% Eagles (Burnley)
13 (00) Appearances 5 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 060% Heidar Helgusson (QPR)
04 (09) Appearances 2 Total Goals includes 1 Penalties = 050% Tommy Smith (QPR)
13 (01) Appearances 6 Total Goals includes 3 Penalties = 050% Billy Sharp (Doncaster)
19 (00) Appearances 9 Total Goals includes 4 Penalties = 044% Taraabt (QPR)

What exactly are you trying to prove by showing that? All it tells me is most clubs have a regular penalty taker. It also doesn't change the fact that Shane Long has scored 75% of his goals from the penalty spot whilst missing all his chances from open play (I don't class the 25 yarder he scored as a chance - it was just a fantastic hit from distance).

Exactly the same as Lukas Jutkiewitz, not a lot different from £3M Eagles, or "top QPR striker" Helgusson, or Liam Lawrence, good Prem player in the CCC...

And QPR appear to have THREE penalty-takers, probably because they get so many.

So, point 1, it's not true that we go looking for penalties. Other clubs have had more, other clubs have had the same.

and point 2, Shane's current ratio (extremely high for him compared to his career) is nevertheless NOT exceptional

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 10:23

Exactly how many real, genuine, clear cut proper chances MADE BY OTHERS
can you list for Shane this season?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 10:36

Snowball Exactly the same as Lukas Jutkiewitz, not a lot different from £3M Eagles, or "top QPR striker" Helgusson, or Liam Lawrence, good Prem player in the CCC...

And QPR appear to have THREE penalty-takers, probably because they get so many.

So, point 1, it's not true that we go looking for penalties. Other clubs have had more, other clubs have had the same.

and point 2, Shane's current ratio (extremely high for him compared to his career) is nevertheless NOT exceptional

Eagles and Lawrence can be discounted becasue they aren't strikers. And by your previous arguments we can't compare Long to Jutkiewicz or Helguson becuase one is a lot older and one younger (I'm just following your previous arguments here).

But if I was a fan of Coventry or QPR I would want both to be increasing their scoring from open play. And I neve r said that Shane's ratio of penalties was exceptional I just would like him to improve his goascoring fromn open play. Just because a couple of other strikers have similar rations does not mean it is right.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 10:38

Snowball Exactly how many real, genuine, clear cut proper chances MADE BY OTHERS

I don't have a photographic memory nor do I take notes but I can remember chances at quite a few games, most recently Watford, Norwich, Cardiff and Burnley. THe simple fact is even if has only been presented with 5 chances all season (and he has had more than that) he still has a ZERO percent conversion rate.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Nov 2010 10:43

Wycombe Royal
Snowball Exactly how many real, genuine, clear cut proper chances MADE BY OTHERS

I don't have a photographic memory nor do I take notes but I can remember chances at quite a few games, most recently Watford, Norwich, Cardiff and Burnley. THe simple fact is even if has only been presented with 5 chances all season (and he has had more than that) he still has a ZERO percent conversion rate.

massive maths faiLOL

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 10:46

brendywendy
Wycombe Royal

massive maths faiLOL

I have already explained my omission of his goal at QPR. It was not a chance - it was a wonder strike from 25 yards. If he had missed it I certainly wouldn't have said it was a missed chance, would you?

Massive faiLOL from you there.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Nov 2010 10:52

Wycombe Royal
brendywendy
Wycombe Royal I don't have a photographic memory nor do I take notes but I can remember chances at quite a few games, most recently Watford, Norwich, Cardiff and Burnley. THe simple fact is even if has only been presented with 5 chances all season (and he has had more than that) he still has a ZERO percent conversion rate.

massive maths faiLOL

I have already explained my omission of his goal at QPR. It was not a chance - it was a wonder strike from 25 yards. If he had missed it I certainly wouldn't have said it was a missed chance, would you?

sorry, i love you, but that is a moronic double fail imo

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 11:00

brendywendy
Wycombe Royal
brendywendy massive maths faiLOL

sorry, i love you, but that is a moronic double fail imo

Show me the maths then of where I am wrong, because if he has taken none of the chances presented to him then his conversion rate is zero. It really is quite simple.

So answer me this question - If he had not scored that screamer at QPR would you have said he missed a great chance to score?

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 30 Nov 2010 11:22

Snowball
PlasticRoyale
Snowball

And tell Trapattoni he hasn't got a clue either

He hasn't got a choice

How about Noel Hunt of Reading. Didn't he just get three goals in three games in the CCC?

And there's always that bloke Doyle. He's scored a whole Premiership goal this season

He'd still be picking scraps

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 11:48

Wycombe Royal

My point is WE ARE NOT MAKING MANY GOOD CHANCES.

Take Leeds as an example. Work through and ask how many clear-cut chances were made (particularly by others FOR Long)?

He got one shot on target that was saved by a handball. That is simply unlucky. No foul and it's a goal.

Once he was 20-22 out, central, looked like maybe he could shoot but he chose to pass.

Once a ball fizzes through God knows how many legs, missed by at least half a dozen other players (who nobody criticizes) before surprising Long who didn't connect. I for one do not call that a miss.

Whereas Zurab missed from a free header, didn't even hit the target. Hunt hit the ball straight at the keeper from 6 yards. Much of the rest was exciting, but huff and puff and NOT clear chance-making.

it seems to me that Long's errors are magnified and singled out. The errors by others are brushed away

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 11:51

Wycombe Royal
Eagles and Lawrence can be discounted becasue they aren't strikers. And by your previous arguments we can't compare Long to Jutkiewicz or Helguson becuase one is a lot older and one younger (I'm just following your previous arguments here).

Siggurdson was ostensibly a midfielder. We both know that mere "designation" does not mean a club doesn't need and expect goals from certain players not officially called strikers, Siggy being a perfect example.

And OF COURSE you can compare players of different ages. I have never said you cannot. What I HAVE said is you make allowances for youth=lack of experience

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 30 Nov 2010 11:55

In an attempt to prevent a thread about a willing down the channels player extending to 100 pages can we just say that Long is about on a par with Carl Asaba and leave it at that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 11:56

Wycombe Royal I don't have a photographic memory nor do I take notes but I can remember chances at quite a few games, most recently Watford, Norwich, Cardiff and Burnley. The simple fact is even if has only been presented with 5 chances all season (and he has had more than that) he still has a ZERO percent conversion rate.

Well just those games, then.

Watford? Two chances, both difficult and both made by him.
One stopped by a brilliant tackle, the other a good save by a keeper recently called up to the England squad.
Were there any other chances? Church missed, Karacan missed an open goal. Did Hunt miss one?

Norwich? The volley on the run? Only Torres and a few others could've done better. What else? Was that the game when he had to bring down a long, falling ball from Harte (brilliant pull-down) took a lousy bounce, he had to re-adjust, got his shot away but it was saveder

We are hardly talking about chances like LONG made for Antonio (tap-in) Hunt, tap-in, Church free-shot straight at the keeper

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 11:56

Negative_Jeff In an attempt to prevent a thread about a willing down the channels player extending to 100 pages can we just say that Long is about on a par with Carl Asaba and leave it at that.

No

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2010 12:18

Snowball
Wycombe Royal

My point is WE ARE NOT MAKING MANY GOOD CHANCES.

Take Leeds as an example. Work through and ask how many clear-cut chances were made (particularly by others FOR Long)?

He got one shot on target that was saved by a handball. That is simply unlucky. No foul and it's a goal.

Once he was 20-22 out, central, looked like maybe he could shoot but he chose to pass.

Once a ball fizzes through God knows how many legs, missed by at least half a dozen other players (who nobody criticizes) before surprising Long who didn't connect. I for one do not call that a miss.

Whereas Zurab missed from a free header, didn't even hit the target. Hunt hit the ball straight at the keeper from 6 yards. Much of the rest was exciting, but huff and puff and NOT clear chance-making.

it seems to me that Long's errors are magnified and singled out. The errors by others are brushed away

We might not be making MANY good chances but we are making some and those that fall to Long he has missed. That is a FACT. The reasons for missing them are irrelevant. He missed them.

And I haven't brushed away any errors by any other players. This is a topic about Shane Long (you can check the title if you like) and therefore I am only talking about Shane Long and the chances he has missed.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 14:40

Wycombe Royal
We might not be making MANY good chances but we are making some and those that fall to Long he has missed. That is a FACT. The reasons for missing them are irrelevant. He missed them.

I'll ask again. Long is making chances for others, and has to mostly make his own chances.

Who is making them FOR HIM?

And really, I can't think of dozens of glaring misses

And I haven't brushed away any errors by any other players. This is a topic about Shane Long (you can check the title if you like) and therefore I am only talking about Shane Long and the chances he has missed.

Actually this topic is: Long: TIME TO GO suggesting that he should be got rid of as "gash". And that's why it's lasted so long. Not because a striker is slightly off form, but because ONE PLAYER is being scapegoated, and because the Long-Haters are blinkered and seriously biased.

Church has missed some open goals, some absolute sitters. The only one I can think of like that for Long was where he hit the bar (right place at the right time) and the rebound was put in by Gylfi.

Hunt has missed some VG chances. Howard has had horrible misses. Karacan missed an open goal last week.

It's plainly ridiculous to exclude other players in a thread called Long. Time to Go

The thread should be about his RELATIVE worth. Right now I think he's twice as valuable as Church and edging Hunt.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Nov 2010 14:42

long will score goals in a two with two proper wingers.
i personally guarantee it.......

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 14:44

brendywendy long will score goals in a two with two proper wingers.
i personally guarantee it.......

Could be Saturday when we win 4-0, Shane has already got 2 (Hunt 1, Harte 1)
and he gets a penalty (for his hat-trick) and... ... ... ... misses it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Nov 2010 14:52

According to the OS Long has had 56% of his shots on target, this season (compared with Gylfi's 27%)

In the whole season he has only had 15 shots off target, less than 1 a game.

2027 posts