Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Ian Royal » 02 Dec 2010 15:10

How would you practically get into management without having some basis in football previously - ie playing. Management requires high detail intimate knowledge of the game and arguably that's where you really do need some experience.

Critiqueing a performance is completely different. it's done on a much broader level without the need of such detailed familiarity.

We've got people on here who have officiated at a very high level or are involved in professional coaching allegedly. That doesn't automatically make their view right or better than someone elses without that expereince. It does add weight but it doesn't stop them getting it wrong or talking balls.

Anyone who relies on making their point stronger in comparison to someone elses on the basis of their experience clearly is struggling. It's the fall back of the desperate. "Yeah, but you're wrong because you've never played, wah wah wah."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Dec 2010 16:18

Ian Royal How would you practically get into management without having some basis in football previously - ie playing. Management requires high detail intimate knowledge of the game and arguably that's where you really do need some experience.

It's very difficult obviously, hence the lack of non-players who make it.

You can go about it by doing your badges, getting into an academy and impressing enough to work your way up.

The industry is very much a closed shop and old boys network so it'd be very difficult.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Dec 2010 20:25

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal How would you practically get into management without having some basis in football previously - ie playing. Management requires high detail intimate knowledge of the game and arguably that's where you really do need some experience.

It's very difficult obviously, hence the lack of non-players who make it.

You can go about it by doing your badges, getting into an academy and impressing enough to work your way up.

The industry is very much a closed shop and old boys network so it'd be very difficult.

Even if you could get the qualifications and impress through coaching and non-league management I suspect you wouldn't make it to a high level, because the players are such a bunch of oxf*rd you'd have virtually no chance of winning their respect without having played to a fairly high level.

If I suddenly became independently wealthy, I'd seriously consider doing the coaching badges as something to keep me active and entertained.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Dec 2010 20:39

Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah
comeonyouroyals Not sure why the level off football you play has anything to do with being able to evaluate a football game, after all Mourinho was never a professional player.

I can't think of a single manager who wasn't a player before going in to management/coaching (even Rodgers was a player, albeit one that didn't make it).

Carlos Alberto Parreira?

Bertie Mee at Arsenal?
I'm not sure about Lawrie McMenemy-he was always referred to as an ex-guardsman.
If you think about it in business and in politics chief execs and ministers are often appointed with no great knowledge of the company or department that they end up running.
Their skills are often in man management,motivation and organisation and they act as figureheads with effectively a no.2 being the most hands-on.

I suppose it could work in football because the manager is like a chief exec or a minister reporting to a board or cabinet.
Unfortunately football does appear to be steeped in the tradition of ex-players becoming managers but famously with the likes of Bobby Charlton,Nobby Stiles,Bobby Moore and more recently Shearer top players do not automatically become the best managers.
In fact the best managers tend to be those that have had to think more about their own game whereas the naturals are that good that they haven't needed to.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Dec 2010 20:41

Hoop Blah
comeonyouroyals Not sure why the level off football you play has anything to do with being able to evaluate a football game, after all Mourinho was never a professional player.

I can't think of a single manager who wasn't a player before going in to management/coaching (even Rodgers was a player, albeit one that didn't make it).

What about Gerard Houllier?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Dec 2010 20:42

Not dropped into this thread for a while Absolute LOL that some people are trying to say Leigertwood had a good game.

Try looking in the direction of the pitch next time.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Dec 2010 20:49

Maguire Not dropped into this thread for a while Absolute LOL that some people are trying to say Leigertwood had a good game.

Try looking in the direction of the pitch next time.

I think there's probably one one person trying to say he actually had a good game, and I suspect that's just to be contrary and get in an argument to score points. Generally I reckon most people are only saying he wasn't that bad once he settles in and gets match fit he's a good chance of being good for us.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Dec 2010 21:11

Ian Royal
I think there's probably one one person trying to say he actually had a good game, and I suspect that's just to be contrary and get in an argument to score points.

Oh, and who would that be, Ian? Do you know what I said? Do you know what anyone said?

Just one person thought he played well, huh?

Elm Park Old Boy Really can't understand the criticism. I thought he looked competent, and added some strength and height to our midfield, as well as the instinct to try to get the ball down and pass, which others have remarked on. Lacking a bit of match fitness and sharpness, but he didn't look bad.

winchester_royal Personally I thought he was pretty decent.

Not quite sure how some can go on with themselves about how rubbish he is, given that for one of the first times this season we had a pretty decent grip on the match in the middle of the park.

RoyalBlue Woefully short of match fitness and was left chasing shadows for the first quarter or so of today's game. However, has a good touch and is very calm in possession, appearing to make himself time and then playing effective passes. Also got a lot of spoiling touches in to break up Leeds' moves.

Stranded
Disagree (he wasn't gash). He did a lot of things very well, unfortunately it was mixed with some silly errors which seemed to be down to struggling with match fitness.

peterroyal76 I agree with the previous post by stranded. ^

Snowball Agree, Stranded/Peter. He's not a buzz-saw like Karacan, but he'll bring a more steady defensive midfield

Y21_Royal Thought it was an odd performance and selection yesterday. He looked to get the ball down and play it and looked decent in the air but otherwise it was a very average début.

ZacNaloen I didn't think he was all that bad, he started poorly but grew into the game.

Did a few good interceptions and the like in second half. And once he went off we did seem to lose our grip in the middle of the park.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Dec 2010 23:31

a load of people saying he wasn't that shit is hardly a ringing endorsement

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Dec 2010 23:57

leon a load of people saying he wasn't that shit is hardly a ringing endorsement

That was not the point of the post.

The point was that, as usual, Ian Royal was talking bollocks

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 00:01

Snowball
leon a load of people saying he wasn't that shit is hardly a ringing endorsement

sorry you were disagreeing with IR's assertion that only about 1 person said he had had a good game. In the testimonials you trotted out NO-ONE said he had a good game most were by and large saying he wasn't shit just mediocre (at best)

1-0 Ian Royal

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Dec 2010 00:11

leon
Snowball

sorry you were disagreeing with IR's assertion that only about 1 person said he had had a good game. In the testimonials you trotted out NO-ONE said he had a good game most were by and large saying he wasn't shit just mediocre (at best)

1-0 Ian Royal

Ian Royal
I think there's probably one one person trying to say he actually had a good game, and I suspect that's just to be contrary and get in an argument to score points. Generally I reckon most people are only saying he wasn't that bad once he settles in and gets match fit he's a good chance of being good for us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 00:51

sorry - struggling to understand your point since none of the above said he actually had a good game - rendering the quoting of all those testimonials as utterly pointless as I can read.

I'm guessing you were the one person.

Stick to the numbers.

koran

by koran » 03 Dec 2010 00:51

Victor Meldrew
Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah

Carlos Alberto Parreira?

Bertie Mee at Arsenal?
I'm not sure about Lawrie McMenemy-he was always referred to as an ex-guardsman.

I think Parreira is one who went into management without any first class playing experience. Bertie Mee played for Derby and Mansfield and Lawrie McMenemy played for Newcastle and Gatehead. Injuries brough the last two's playing careers to an end.

How about Avram Grant? He went straight into coaching at 18yrs old.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Dec 2010 00:59

leon sorry - struggling to understand your point since none of the above said he actually had a good game - rendering the quoting of all those testimonials as utterly pointless as I can read.

Stick to the numbers.

Since my comment on LW was agreeing with two others, it's kind of hard to see my opinion as singular, wouldn't you agree? Or do facts confuse you?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 01:10

Snowball
leon sorry - struggling to understand your point since none of the above said he actually had a good game - rendering the quoting of all those testimonials as utterly pointless as I can read.

Stick to the numbers.

Since my comment on LW was agreeing with two others, it's kind of hard to see my opinion as singular, wouldn't you agree? Or do facts confuse you?

My comments were about your reply to IR as quoted - and the closest you've got here is "competent" and "pretty decent" - that's not "good". "good" means better than average, you know, better than "decent" and "competent" (which both mean average)

Try again but make it "good", or stop bothering me.

Oh and by the way none of these opinions are "facts" - they are opinions.

I thought you were a writer. Stick to the numbers.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Dec 2010 07:30

Who is the one person trying to say LW had a good game?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 08:08

Sarah Star
Hoop Blah

What about Gerard Houllier?

He started out as a Player-Manager in France, but not sure what standard that was at. According to Wiki he played over a 130 games though.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 03 Dec 2010 15:07

Snowball Who is the one person trying to say LW had a good game?

Whoever it was, they were wrong!!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Dec 2010 22:36

sound looking player

sure as hell helped take the pressure off of our back four

calm, unspectacular and solid.

His first 90 minutes for a good while

a high 7 out of 10 today

830 posts