Hob Nob Addict

Re: World Cup Bid

by SLAMMED » 02 Dec 2010 23:25

Beckham: Is that da prime inister?

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 02 Dec 2010 23:26

Nobody's mentioned the biggest loser in all this - spare a thought for Pete Winkelman.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Dec 2010 08:23

Sarah Star
soggy biscuit
Sarah Star What was it they were looking for again? :?

Things the England bid didn't have

What was that then? And why didn't we have it? Did we know that's what they wanted? I thought ours was supposed to be a good bid.

We all know that the Enland bid would have included top notch hotels, stadiums and (hopefully) very good transport links but that might not have been the big thing that FIFA were looking for. Considering they have recently had it in Korea/Japan and South Africa and Brazil is upcoming who won't have had it it for 64 years (of hurt) looks like FIFA want to use it to spread football to areas that haven't had this before.

You would have thought England would have looked into that though

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 03 Dec 2010 08:38

soggy biscuit

What would you have done then? If you were head of Englands bid?

You seem to know all the answers

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Dec 2010 08:55

The whole year inn
soggy biscuit

LOL. Never said I had any answers, just suggesting that the England bid didn't have what FIFA were looking for because they got such few votes.

Stadiums, hotels etc are one thing but it all depends what FIFA want to achieve with the world cup

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Dec 2010 09:07

The whole year inn
soggy biscuit

They did look into it. There was no specific FIFA policy as such, after they specifically did this with South Africa 2010.

BTW, all sorts of stories starting to emerge that Russia knew they'd won it in advance - for instance placing construction contracts yesterday morning.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Dec 2010 09:16

Means that Blatter would not have needed to wave press clippings about, most of these things are decided befoe the event, a talk from a Prince is not gonna make a difference so late in the day.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 03 Dec 2010 09:17

soggy biscuit
The whole year inn
soggy biscuit

LOL. Never said I had any answers, just suggesting that the England bid didn't have what FIFA were looking for because they got such few votes.

Stadiums, hotels etc are one thing but it all depends what FIFA want to achieve with the world cup

You said 'England should have looked into it'

And done what? What would have been your conclusion if you had been head of the team that looked into it

You are not allowed to start with LOL

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Dec 2010 09:33

Daves, can you explain what that Russian pcunt meant when he said this was the world's smallest violin?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Dec 2010 09:33

The whole year inn You said 'England should have looked into it'

No I didn't. You even quoted what I said up there ^^^^ :roll:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Dec 2010 09:33

Victor Meldrew Nothing wrong with 15 year old girls btw.

Ruh Roh

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Dec 2010 09:34

As RR said earlier the whole of Talksport seem to have received instructions to be Mr Angry today.
Last night Durham excelled himself,advocating that Arshavin should be booed on Saturday for backing the Russian bid and then accusing Russia of being the most racist country in the world.

Interesting to listen to the ex-head of the FA,Brian Barwick,who suggested that our football is not seen in the same light abroad as it is seen here,i.e. the Premier League and the money are seen as brash and as I thought we are perceived as arrogant.

Rather than hurl criticism of FIFA surely we should be looking at our bid presentation-it looks as though we rested on our laurels because our technical bid was considered the best.
The other point is that we sent 3 amateur diplomats in Beckham,William and Cameron to clinch votes-their inexperience showed when they started congratulating themselves prematurely (How arrogant)on sealing those votes.
How could they be so wrong when the only bloke voting for us featured on the Panorama programme-the only one apart from our own board member?

One question-did we query the corrupt process of The Olympic committee members when we got 2012?
England in 2010-bad losers at most things we do.
Thank goodness today for the England/South African cricket team otherwise the suicide rate in the country could have reached epidemic proportions because we did what we do in the Eurovision Song contest and came a very poor last in a bid for a football competition.
Still,an English person is likely to win X-factor and I'm a Celebrity beating off all foreign opposition so this weekend we can rejoice that England has won two competitions and amazingly the participants didn't need any help from the 3 stooges (Beckham,William and Dave) otherwise they might have lost.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Dec 2010 09:35

BTW in the cold light of day I'd much rather have a free press (or at least a free national TV network) than a world cup, all things being equal

And I can't imagine how annoyed I'd be if we'd lost to Qatar

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Dec 2010 09:43

BR2 As RR said earlier the whole of Talksport seem to have received instructions to be Mr Angry today.
Last night Durham excelled himself,advocating that Arshavin should be booed on Saturday for backing the Russian bid and then accusing Russia of being the most racist country in the world.

Interesting to listen to the ex-head of the FA,Brian Barwick,who suggested that our football is not seen in the same light abroad as it is seen here,i.e. the Premier League and the money are seen as brash and as I thought we are perceived as arrogant.

Rather than hurl criticism of FIFA surely we should be looking at our bid presentation-it looks as though we rested on our laurels because our technical bid was considered the best.
The other point is that we sent 3 amateur diplomats in Beckham,William and Cameron to clinch votes-their inexperience showed when they started congratulating themselves prematurely (How arrogant)on sealing those votes.
How could they be so wrong when the only bloke voting for us featured on the Panorama programme-the only one apart from our own board member?

One question-did we query the corrupt process of The Olympic committee members when we got 2012?
Thank goodness today for the England/South African cricket team otherwise the suicide rate in the country could have reached epidemic proportions because we did what we do in the Eurovision Song contest and came a very poor last in a bid for a football competition.
Still,an English person is likely to win X-factor and I'm a Celebrity beating off all foreign opposition so this weekend we can rejoice that England has won two competitions and amazingly the participants didn't need any help from the 3 stooges (Beckham,William and Dave) otherwise they might have lost.

Uh oh. Beware the Whole Year Inn backlash

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 03 Dec 2010 09:44

Wycombe Royal I just had a look at the Qatar bid and 6 of the stadiums will be in one city - Doha. Only one other city has a large population. The others are around 30,000 population. That's like Woodley being a host city.

Not sure about that really - given the size of Qatar it basically is just Doha and a bit of desert. If it were analogous to the UK, and I don't think it is really, then it'd be more like Selhurst, or indeed Wembley being a host city as well as London.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Dec 2010 10:18

Harpers So Solid Crew Means that Blatter would not have needed to wave press clippings about, most of these things are decided befoe the event, a talk from a Prince is not gonna make a difference so late in the day.

Confirmed by Andy Anson in his press conference this morning that Blatter did indeed remind delegates of the "evil British media" immediately before voting.

Anson also confirmed that he had been told by 4 of the 22 delegates that the reason England lost was the British media - although Anson stressed that he didn't neccesarily believe that that was the reason why the England bid failed, but was unable to come up with any alternative reasons when asked.

He went on to say that Russia got a "lot of votes" early into yesterday morning, but refused to even speculate as to what happened to get those delegates to change their minds.

For a number of posters on here, BR2, Soggy Biscuit et al, the reason is obvious...........those delegates went over the technical bids and the commercial reports once more and went "Sh1t - yeah; the Russian bid IS the best available"

:roll:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Dec 2010 10:20

BR2 As RR said earlier the whole of Talksport seem to have received instructions to be Mr Angry today.

I repeat my earlier observation - Class A cock.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Dec 2010 10:26

Red
Wycombe Royal I just had a look at the Qatar bid and 6 of the stadiums will be in one city - Doha. Only one other city has a large population. The others are around 30,000 population. That's like Woodley being a host city.

Not sure about that really - given the size of Qatar it basically is just Doha and a bit of desert. If it were analogous to the UK, and I don't think it is really, then it'd be more like Selhurst, or indeed Wembley being a host city as well as London.

Qatar has a total of 9000 hotel rooms currently; thats barely enough for all the FIFA officials and their wives and, ahem, "personal" secretaries.

Cue a massive program of hotel building!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 10:32

I'm all for a balanced discussion and Devil's Advocacy has its place but, sorry, I have to agree with Mr Angry assessment of Victor's contribution on this particular one.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 10:42

I'm still not sure I buy the media attention swinging it away from us, but perhaps that was a key factor. It sounds like Anson didn't believe that was the biggy that some of the exec committee members were saying. It sounds too much like an easy get out, the equivalent of 'it's not you it's me'.

I agree with BRs comments about us being a nation of sore losers, to an extent, but I do think the whole process is totally flawed. They really should have a transparent grading system for scoring the bids, and make it clear at the outset what the influencing factors are. Personal gain, lobbying and backhanders shouldn't be an issue, it should be how each bid clearly meet the set criteria.

22 (24) committee members voting on what seems to be a whim just doesn't cut it for such a big decision.

647 posts