World Cup Bid

647 posts
Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Re: World Cup Bid

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Dec 2010 10:46

I don't think the media was relevant - and have you noticed that the majority of those attacking the BBC are from Murdoch-owned papers/media. They'll use any stick they can to beat the BBC with so this is manna from heaven for them.

It seems more and more likely that the bid was always doomed to failure, and that the FA were bidding on the wrong rule-book.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 10:52

To suggest we are a nation of sore losers is nonsense.

On the whole we play games with honour, we deal with our cheats, and we stand up for fair play, not just for ourselves but for our opponents. And we are humble and honest in defeat.

We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet in this regard.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Dec 2010 10:54

Mr Angry
BR2 As RR said earlier the whole of Talksport seem to have received instructions to be Mr Angry today.
Last night Durham excelled himself,advocating that Arshavin should be booed on Saturday for backing the Russian bid and then accusing Russia of being the most racist country in the world.

Interesting to listen to the ex-head of the FA,Brian Barwick,who suggested that our football is not seen in the same light abroad as it is seen here,i.e. the Premier League and the money are seen as brash and as I thought we are perceived as arrogant.

Rather than hurl criticism of FIFA surely we should be looking at our bid presentation-it looks as though we rested on our laurels because our technical bid was considered the best.
The other point is that we sent 3 amateur diplomats in Beckham,William and Cameron to clinch votes-their inexperience showed when they started congratulating themselves prematurely (How arrogant)on sealing those votes.
How could they be so wrong when the only bloke voting for us featured on the Panorama programme-the only one apart from our own board member?

One question-did we query the corrupt process of The Olympic committee members when we got 2012?
England in 2010-bad losers at most things we do.
Thank goodness today for the England/South African cricket team otherwise the suicide rate in the country could have reached epidemic proportions because we did what we do in the Eurovision Song contest and came a very poor last in a bid for a football competition.
Still,an English person is likely to win X-factor and I'm a Celebrity beating off all foreign opposition so this weekend we can rejoice that England has won two competitions and amazingly the participants didn't need any help from the 3 stooges (Beckham,William and Dave) otherwise they might have lost.

I repeat my earlier observation - Class A cock.

I am starting to worry about you and your cock fixation.
Would you mind keeping things civil on here,your poor use of language does you no favours.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Dec 2010 10:59

BR2 As RR said earlier the whole of Talksport seem to have received instructions to be Mr Angry today.
Last night Durham excelled himself,advocating that Arshavin should be booed on Saturday for backing the Russian bid and then accusing Russia of being the most racist country in the world.

Interesting to listen to the ex-head of the FA,Brian Barwick,who suggested that our football is not seen in the same light abroad as it is seen here,i.e. the Premier League and the money are seen as brash and as I thought we are perceived as arrogant.

Rather than hurl criticism of FIFA surely we should be looking at our bid presentation-it looks as though we rested on our laurels because our technical bid was considered the best.
The other point is that we sent 3 amateur diplomats in Beckham,William and Cameron to clinch votes-their inexperience showed when they started congratulating themselves prematurely (How arrogant)on sealing those votes.
How could they be so wrong when the only bloke voting for us featured on the Panorama programme-the only one apart from our own board member?

One question-did we query the corrupt process of The Olympic committee members when we got 2012?
Thank goodness today for the England/South African cricket team otherwise the suicide rate in the country could have reached epidemic proportions because we did what we do in the Eurovision Song contest and came a very poor last in a bid for a football competition.
Still,an English person is likely to win X-factor and I'm a Celebrity beating off all foreign opposition so this weekend we can rejoice that England has won two competitions and amazingly the participants didn't need any help from the 3 stooges (Beckham,William and Dave) otherwise they might have lost.

Poor form to roll up so much complete nonsense into one mega-post. You could've broken it down into at least half a dozen smaller offerings, each as equally rubbish.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Dec 2010 11:00

Royal Rother To suggest we are a nation of sore losers is nonsense.

On the whole we play games with honour, we deal with our cheats, and we stand up for fair play, not just for ourselves but for our opponents. And we are humble and honest in defeat.

We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet in this regard.

Don't talk rubbish Rotherers, we're viewed with utter contempt by the rest of the world, VM said so.

The truth is, there is absolutely no hope of fairness in any organisation where the likes of Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are senior figures. Unfortunately, until football associations and governements stand up to FIFA, there doesn't appear to much that can be done.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Dec 2010 11:07

Svlad Cjelli I don't think the media was relevant.

I think the media was completely relevant, but they should have nothing to be ashamed of as they were doing what they're supposed to do, unfortunately the FIFA executive don't like that and as I've said, we're probably better off not doing business with them

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 03 Dec 2010 11:13

soggy biscuit

Uh oh. Beware the Whole Year Inn backlash

To which you have no response 8)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 11:17

Royal Rother To suggest we are a nation of sore losers is nonsense.

Talking about the reaction, by the public really, to things like this.

Those playing do so with all those characteristics above (well most once you discount the likes of Terry and Carragher) but it does seem we're always looking for some excuse for losing.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Dec 2010 11:23

Are we confusing "the nation" with "elements of the nation's media" here?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Dec 2010 11:24

Silver Fox

I think the media was completely relevant, but they should have nothing to be ashamed of as they were doing what they're supposed to do, unfortunately the FIFA executive don't like that and as I've said, we're probably better off not doing business with them

I agree SFers. Sheer madness to suggest that the media weren't relevant - how much more evidence do you need than FIFA execs coming out stating that this was the case?!

Certainly the allegations couldn't have been timed any better if your aim was to destroy England's WC bid - which is frustrating in a way - but to blame the media for exposing corruption is to shift the blame away from those who are corrupt. The fact that we only got TWO votes tells its own story.

And is there really anybody on the planet who thinks that the reason Qatar (I'll say it again - QATAR) won the World Cup is down to anything other than the petrodollar?

How to take seriously any future FIFA initiatives about inclusion, about kicking racism out of football, about tolerance and acceptance when they've just dished out two World Cups in one day to one of the most openly racist countries in Europe, and to a country where homosexuality is illegal.

Shambles.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 03 Dec 2010 11:25

It is almost impossible to comment on this without being racist. Even the twerps at the FA must appreciate that people from some parts of the world are more corrupt than others. Having dealt with FIFA and it`s cronies for so long, even our own useless governing body might have guessed that exposing the Prime Minister and Prince William, not to mention the huge sums of money involved in processing the bid, would end up in a piss take. Why people get so worked up about international football is beyond me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 11:27

southbank1871 The truth is, there is absolutely no hope of fairness in any organisation where the likes of Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are senior figures. Unfortunately, until football associations and governements stand up to FIFA, there doesn't appear to much that can be done.

I wonder if there is any grounds to claim costs from FIFA for the FA/Government's (who actually paid?) costs in bidding for something it seems was a done deal already?

Hopefully the nasty media will take a further look into what went on and expose anything that wasn't above board to shame FIFA into changing their ways. There is a danger that they're going to run out of countries willing to go through the bidding process.

Gerry Francis had a great idea last night. He said it should just be put on a rota. He didn't quite have a plan as to how you draw up a rota when there have been so many countries bidding for each finals though!

Dirk, totally agree on the Murdoch group bashing of the BBC, although at the same time it was the Murdoch owned Times that kicked it all off not long ago. They've had some criticism, but obviously not as vocal as Sky et al pointing the finger at the Beeb.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 11:29

Svlad Cjelli Are we confusing "the nation" with "elements of the nation's media" here?

I don't think so. You only have to look at the reaction on here, twitter and Facebook for a decent snapshot of the general feeling.

Is that led by the media or the media led by the general feeling? Hard to say.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Dec 2010 11:29

Silver Fox

OK, tbf I should have put I don't think the media was *particularly* relevant, in that the bid was already lost long before Panorama got involved.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Dec 2010 11:39

Maguire
Silver Fox

I agree SFers. Sheer madness to suggest that the media weren't relevant - how much more evidence do you need than FIFA execs coming out stating that this was the case?!

It looks to me that the Times and BBC have given FIFA a great excuse for not choosing the best bid. It seems there is a clear desire to host the competition in 'developing' or new football nations - a fact that should have been made clear to potential suitors before they spunked millions bidding.

But then the FIFA execs wouldn't have been on lavish all expenses paid trips to England, Spain/Portugal, Japan, Australia and the United States.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Dec 2010 11:42

Hoop Blah Hopefully the nasty media will take a further look into what went on and expose anything that wasn't above board to shame FIFA into changing their ways

This is the thing - I don't particularly like the British media but now there is absolutely nothing stopping them from taking the gloves off and truly harrassing/harrying/investigating the shit out of FIFA for the foreseeable future.

Good luck to them, I say.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2010 11:45

I think that sums it up TFF.

There were suggestions during the fall out last night that these 'risky' host nations, such as Brasil who are supposedly struggling to get things going for 2014, might lead to England being offered a late sub role for a future World Cup.

If that was the case, bearing in mind the way we've apparently been treated, would you, if you were all powerful and could say Yea Or Neigh to hosting as a repalcement, help FIFA out and take a World Cup or would you tell them where to go?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Dec 2010 11:51

Hoop Blah I think that sums it up TFF.

There were suggestions during the fall out last night that these 'risky' host nations, such as Brasil who are supposedly struggling to get things going for 2014, might lead to England being offered a late sub role for a future World Cup.

If that was the case, bearing in mind the way we've apparently been treated, would you, if you were all powerful and could say Yea Or Neigh to hosting as a repalcement, help FIFA out and take a World Cup or would you tell them where to go?

I honestly couldn't care less about whether or not we host the competition (though I'll admit to getting caught up in the drama yesterday and a bit upset by the obvious fix in the voting) but if a situation like you describe were to arise I'd imaging the FA would jump at the chance - I'm sure it's worth millions to the economy, even with the tax breaks.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 03 Dec 2010 11:51

Hoop Blah I think that sums it up TFF.

Good post. And I agree with TFF too.
Personally, I'd tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Dec 2010 11:54

Three videos that showcase why England should have had the World Cup.

Pride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr__-Kqn ... re=related

Tradition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnm_xWUIYMU

History:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJjz0-T0WA
Last edited by LoyalRoyalFan on 03 Dec 2010 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

647 posts