World Cup Bid

647 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup Bid

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 13:20

LUX
Royal Rother To suggest we are a nation of sore losers is nonsense.

On the whole we play games with honour, we deal with our cheats, and we stand up for fair play, not just for ourselves but for our opponents. And we are humble and honest in defeat.

We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet in this regard.

I have no doubt there was "politics" in the final decision, probably corruption too, but there is no way I would show any of my foreign ( :roll: ) colleagues what RR has posted here.
If that is not arrogance.................

To most people, the down side of English football is hooliganism (Heysel etc), a phenomenon now successfully exported to most of the rest of the world, and multiple death threats to that Swedish referee (Anders Frisk?) after we were knocked out of Euro 2004 iirc.

interesting, you could add that we're no bloody good at the game either

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Dec 2010 13:22

I was more taking issue with RR's post.

To say we are such good losers at a time where the amount of squealing and name-calling over this decision (see this thread plus the usual shite elements of the press) is, er, unfortunate timing.

edit: poor syntax, soz.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Dec 2010 13:24

Not sure what the fukk that's got to do with anything Leon. In (relatively) recent years both the USA and South Africa have hosted world cups, hardly footballing powerhouses.

Anyway, by 2018 I'll almost certainly hate football completely, so this all probably doesn't matter.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 13:25

LUX I was more taking issue with RR's post.

To say we are such good losers at a time where the amount of squealing and name-calling over this decision (see this thread plus the usual shite elements of the press) is, er, unfortunate timing.

yes of course, i guess it was the general arrogance of the post really...we still suffer in this country with the belief that we are the centre of the universe...and football is the perfect example of this. Everyone else has moved on.

then again Qatar...what were they thinking !!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 13:29

soggy biscuit
Royal Rother Name one.

England doesn't take a tough line on simulation at all. Your head is stuck in the 80's if you think England is still the country where footballers are noble and don't throw themselves to the floor.

Not at all. I actually dislike much of what the professional game has become, including the cheating, diving, gamesmanship etc. but when I watch European club tournament games and international matches I see far worse from the opposition than from our own teams. ESPECIALLY the English players in our own club teams. Look at Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City etc. - on the whole it is not the English players who feign / exaggerate injuries. In fact the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Cole, Barry, Rooney, Milner etc. have all been "guilty" of exacerbating injuries by playing on after receiving knocks.

I might dislike much of what the pro game has become but, although we are a million miles from being perfect, I detest baseless anti-English sentiments and utterly false comparisons against other nations.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Dec 2010 13:33

Royal Rother I detest baseless anti-English sentiments and utterly false comparisons against other nations.

but so do I.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 03 Dec 2010 13:35

leon
LUX we still suffer in this country with the belief that we are the centre of the universe...and football is the perfect example of this. Everyone else has moved on.

Showing videos promoting our Pride, History and Tradition probably wouldn't have gone down well then.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 13:38

LUX
Royal Rother To suggest we are a nation of sore losers is nonsense.

On the whole we play games with honour, we deal with our cheats, and we stand up for fair play, not just for ourselves but for our opponents. And we are humble and honest in defeat.

We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet in this regard.

I have no doubt there was "politics" in the final decision, probably corruption too, but there is no way I would show any of my foreign ( :roll: ) colleagues what RR has posted here.
If that is not arrogance.................

To most people, the down side of English football is hooliganism (Heysel etc), a phenomenon now successfully exported to most of the rest of the world, and multiple death threats to that Swedish referee (Anders Frisk?) after we were knocked out of Euro 2004 iirc.

I haven't said we are better than anybody else, merely that we stand up to comparison favourably against every other country. That is not arrogant in the slightest.

And to suggest we are responsible for the rest of the world's hooliganism is just plain daft.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 13:40

LUX
Royal Rother I detest baseless anti-English sentiments and utterly false comparisons against other nations.

but so do I.

As evidenced by your suggestion that England is responsible for the world's football hooliganism?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Dec 2010 13:43

We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet

to me, that means you are saying we are better. Please show what you posted to a non English person and report back what they think. Better still, post a selection from this thread.

On hooliganism, I was in fact conceding that it is not confined to England.

On the other hand, most hooligan firms on the continent idolise English hooligans, even to the extent of having Union Jacks on show to demonstrate how hard they are.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Dec 2010 13:49

Royal Rother
soggy biscuit
Royal Rother Name one.

England doesn't take a tough line on simulation at all. Your head is stuck in the 80's if you think England is still the country where footballers are noble and don't throw themselves to the floor.

Not at all. I actually dislike much of what the professional game has become, including the cheating, diving, gamesmanship etc. but when I watch European club tournament games and international matches I see far worse from the opposition than from our own teams. ESPECIALLY the English players in our own club teams. Look at Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City etc. - on the whole it is not the English players who feign / exaggerate injuries. In fact the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Cole, Barry, Rooney, Milner etc. have all been "guilty" of exacerbating injuries by playing on after receiving knocks.

I might dislike much of what the pro game has become but, although we are a million miles from being perfect, I detest baseless anti-English sentiments and utterly false comparisons against other nations.

RR,
Most of those brave little soldiers that you quoted and in particular lampard and the two Coles and Rooney are up there with the best diving foreigners in our game.
So presumably those awful foreigners don't play on when injured,especially people like Fabregas who played on with a broken leg?
There was a time when England could hold it's head up high and boast of good sportsmanship but regrettably that time is long gone and we are no better (nor no worse) than anybody else.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2010 13:56

BR2
RR,
Most of those brave little soldiers that you quoted and in particular lampard and the two Coles and Rooney are up there with the best diving foreigners in our game.
So presumably those awful foreigners don't play on when injured,especially people like Fabregas who played on with a broken leg?
There was a time when England could hold it's head up high and boast of good sportsmanship but regrettably that time is long gone and we are no better (nor no worse) than anybody else.

I think RR's list of non-diving brave English paragons of corinthian values fighting against the tide of nasty cheating foreigners sums it up nicely.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Dec 2010 13:58

Royal Rother
soggy biscuit
Royal Rother Name one.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Majority of English players dive just as much as johnny foreigner nowadays

Nothing anti-English about me, just not keen on blinkered middle Englanders that still think this country stands for everything that is noble in the world.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 14:02

LUX We compare very favourably with every other nation on the planet

1. Please show what you posted to a non English person and report back what they think.

2. On hooliganism, I was in fact conceding that it is not confined to England.

1. Yeah righto, I'll conduct a survey on the streets of Slough later. :roll:

Lux To most people, the down side of English football is hooliganism (Heysel etc), a phenomenon now successfully exported to most of the rest of the world

Of course you were. :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2010 14:08

soggy biscuit Nothing anti-English about me, just not keen on blinkered middle Englanders that still think this country stands for everything that is noble in the world.

There's a coincidence coz neither am I.

But I am not a bandwagonner and can see the good from the bad, the right from the wrong.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Dec 2010 14:22

royalsteve as an aside, i shall NEVER watch panaroma again nor will i buy a newspaper again as i am livid with the out of control press in this country

You were a bit over the top but I was kinda digging your point until the above, you've just undermined everything you said by telling everyone you're a bit simple

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 03 Dec 2010 14:33

royalsteve as an aside, i shall NEVER watch panaroma again nor will i buy a newspaper again as i am livid with the out of control press in this country

The International Herald & Tribune and Le Monde are both good alternatives, and Panorama's really quite dull, so I don't think you're harming yourself too much. You need to do something BIG to show that just how LIVID you are.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Dec 2010 14:35

oxf*rd the lot of them IMO, should pull out of FIFA. I'm not interested in Europe and the World Cup is a joke these days now its all about money and boosting economies.

Football is a good old working class game, father son along to the terracing to watch the team from your city beat a team from another city. We can do all that in Britain, we don't need all this foreign nonsense involved.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Dec 2010 14:37

Yeah!!1!111!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Dec 2010 14:42

FiNeRaIn oxf*rd the lot of them IMO, should pull out of FIFA. I'm not interested in The Premier League it is a joke these days now its all about money and boosting players' wages.

Football was a good old working class game, father son along to the terracing to watch the team from your city beat a team from another city. We can do all that in The Championship, we don't need all this foreign nonsense involved.

See amendments.

647 posts