World Cup Bid

647 posts
prostak
Hob Nob Regular

Re: World Cup Bid

by prostak » 06 Dec 2010 00:16

Full summary of bribery allegations relating to this voting. If you can bring yourself to care anymore.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Dec 2010 08:49

roadrunner
AthleticoSpizz Sky (and them expecting me to pay for what once was free to veiw within the confines of the TV Licence) can go f11ck themselves.

I stand alone when it comes to Sky....but cannot believe that folk are prepared to part with 5 or 6 hundred pounds per year to watch adverts and basically what once was free

I stand with you on that one. Freeview more than does. I don't even miss soccer saturday any more. A flick of BBC1 at 16:30 does me.

You're lucky - Freeview signal is so weak in Henley that it's Sky or nowt for me.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 06 Dec 2010 09:53

+1 for the I've got better things to do with £500-£600 than pay for a sky subscription brigade.

Can we start a clique.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Dec 2010 10:23

i too have dumped sky sports and movies...will pay for view if ever tempted..but that will be a very rare occurrence.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 06 Dec 2010 10:26

PEARCEY
RoyalChicagoFC
Yeah but we're good @ that so fairy nuff imo tbh

Yes Atlanta was a raving success :lol:

It was a blast.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 Dec 2010 10:26

AthleticoSpizz Sky (and them expecting me to pay for what once was free to veiw within the confines of the TV Licence) can go f11ck themselves.

I stand alone when it comes to Sky....but cannot believe that folk are prepared to part with 5 or 6 hundred pounds per year to watch adverts and basically what once was free

Ryder Cup golf
Test match cricket
Live football
Not fussed about the other channels but while I am still working I don't want to miss these.
I have stopped going to most Reading away games which over a season was costing me over £2000 so at about a quarter of that cost I get to see at least the above 3 sports live-seems like a fair deal to me when compared to the coverage given by the two terrestrial channels before Sky arrived.
Not saying it is right that Sky almost controls the world in terms of sport but that is how it is.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Dec 2010 10:43

I'm a bit like BR2. I've got all the right-on political views about Murdoch, but I nevertheless go for the full package, partly for the kids, partly because I do recognise that Sky do sports brilliantly (cricket and rugby notably). Plus Jeff Stelling ftw.

SKY 1, 2 , 3 are horrendous, apart from the Simpsons and the totty in Modern Family.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Dec 2010 10:54

Got rid of Movies & Sports at the end of last season. Got Sports back for £10 a month last week.

Also love it for some documentaries and of course for Celebrity Sex Clinic (watching some playboy bunny girl talk about how she is addicted to masturbating ftw)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Dec 2010 11:19

Sky Sports running story from the Australian perspective and their bid chairman.

Astounded that a country the size of Fiji and population of Zurich has won the rights to host 2022. Many scathing points with his final comment quite telling.

"our biggest mistake with our bid, we kept it clean" - ouch.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 11:30

I understand informal discussions happening between the FAs of England, Australia, US and several other Western European countries to gauge levels of potential support for a breakaway world governing body.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Dec 2010 11:36

Svlad Cjelli I understand informal discussions happening between the FAs of England, Australia, US and several other Western European countries to gauge levels of potential support for a breakaway world governing body.

Would be a bad move IMHO

Leaving FIFA will mean no more international football (of note)
Would more than likely have to pull out of UEFA too, being as they are just as bent and are basically the European side of FIFA (cant see Platini siding with us over FIFA) - that'll mean no Champions League, Europa League, European Championships etc

Would take years to build it all back up again, by that time most of the top players wont want to play in England - harming the majority of clubs here.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 06 Dec 2010 11:39

TBM
Svlad Cjelli I understand informal discussions happening between the FAs of England, Australia, US and several other Western European countries to gauge levels of potential support for a breakaway world governing body.

Would be a bad move IMHO

Would more than likely have to pull out of UEFA too, being as they are just as bent and are basically the European side of FIFA (cant see Platini siding with us over FIFA) - that'll mean no Champions League, Europa League, European Championships etc

Would take years to build it all back up again, by that time most of the top players wont want to play in England - harming the majority of clubs here.

Disagree - get the big players on board and everyone else will follow - just like when they set up the premier league.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Dec 2010 11:40

Not sure that is so clever

Cleaning up FIFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> breaking away from FIFA to set up your own

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 06 Dec 2010 11:40

Nah, FIFA is beyond repair and doesn't represent the best interests of the game.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Dec 2010 11:45

Red
TBM Would be a bad move IMHO

Disagree - get the big players on board and everyone else will follow - just like when they set up the premier league.

But will they? - surely the footballers just want to earn as much money as possible and play in the biggest tournaments in the world. Having a break away world governing body would, at first, mean a shit "world cup" and what about the Euros?......surely they would have to set up another governing body for Europe too, being as we wont be playing in any UEFA competitions!?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Dec 2010 11:52

Why would the players be unhappy anyway? They might be happy enough with the world cup draw.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 11:53

Many of the smaller FAs (Africa, Asia etc) only continue to exist because of the bailouts that FIFA gives them, as there's no money to be made from their own teams - it's only FIFA tournament income that keeps them going and in return, they are completely beholden to FIFA.

The thinking in the "big" countries is that it's their box-office and TV appeal that makes the tournaments successful and keeps FIFA going, but more and more they seem to have little or no voice in the decision-making process - Fiji, Trinidad, Mali & Kuwait equal England, German, Spain & USA in terms of FIFA votes.

In many ways it's like the situation with the G14 and the European Cup (as was) - they managed to get the reform they wanted by the threat of breaking away.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Dec 2010 11:55

Anyone thought that other FA's around the world might not be that unhappy with the world cup draw?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 11:55

soggy biscuit Why would the players be unhappy anyway? They might be happy enough with the world cup draw.

The PFA (and overseas equivalents) are massively, massively unhappy about Qatar. The Technical Report said that playing and training in Qatar in Summer would be"potentially life-threatening". The stadia might be air-conditioned but not the training camps.

BTW, the Technical Report on teh bids was actually asked for and read by a total of 3 of the voting panel.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Dec 2010 11:56

the world cup is a bore fest. no one would miss it if the fans voted with their feet.

647 posts