Failure to buy a striker

280 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Failure to buy a striker

by Hoop Blah » 07 Dec 2010 15:37

Svlad Cjelli Believe it or believe it not, it's the facts.

And think back to the situation at the time - the priorities were clearly the defence rather than the attack, so the couple of days available once the money was confirmed were spent securing Zurab & Harte.

With Hunty just one the way back from injury and effectively also a "new striker" the priority was not a striker then - it's only hindsight, and the failure of the existing strike-force, that has brought the issue to a head now - on paper at the time Long, Hunt & Church ought to have been good enough.

It's not hindsight when plenty of people were saying the same thing over the summer, at the start of the season and then again at the close of the transfer window.

The deals for Kishanishvili and Harte were done deals. They really shouldn't have been masive distractions that stopped the late bid for Morison going through (I think it was more Millwalls willingness to let him go that slowed it down, and not the time frames you're saying were to reason we didn't get him or someone else in).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Dec 2010 15:44

It's not hindsight when plenty of people were saying the same thing over the summer, at the start of the season and then again at the close of the transfer window.

unfortunately, BmcD has to operate within the constraints of finance, and sanity

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Dec 2010 16:05

brendywendy

unfortunately, BmcD has to operate within the constraints of finance, and sanity

As I said earlier, there are 'cheap' solutions out there because we mainly need something different to what we have, and the club obviously felt they could afford someone like Morison in August because they tried to sign him!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Dec 2010 16:14

leon
We were building a team around Gylfi - if he goes so does our entire strategy. So selling him is big decision.

Are we saying that it was a last minute decision - that we didn't have an inkling that anyone was interested enough to make a bid in the Summer and as a result we had no contingency in place? I find that difficult to believe - if it was true why sell and put our entire plans in jeopardy?

We were building a team around Gylfi? My God, that is naive! We were never going to hold on to a talent like that, not even for the season. The only chance (a slim one) was selling him and loaning him back.

We PLAYED Gylfi because he was a prodigious talent, but no manager in the CCC, unless he has QPR's
money could even DREAM of keeping him

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Dec 2010 16:45

Snowball
leon
We were building a team around Gylfi - if he goes so does our entire strategy. So selling him is big decision.

Are we saying that it was a last minute decision - that we didn't have an inkling that anyone was interested enough to make a bid in the Summer and as a result we had no contingency in place? I find that difficult to believe - if it was true why sell and put our entire plans in jeopardy?

We were building a team around Gylfi? My God, that is naive! We were never going to hold on to a talent like that, not even for the season. The only chance (a slim one) was selling him and loaning him back.

We PLAYED Gylfi because he was a prodigious talent, but no manager in the CCC, unless he has QPR's

Hang on Snowball on other threads you have repeatedly said that he is not as good as everybody thinks because of his poor shots/goals ratio.
Make your mind up.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Dec 2010 17:08

Victor Meldrew
Hang on Snowball on other threads you have repeatedly said that he is not as good as everybody thinks because of his poor shots/goals ratio.
Make your mind up.

Learn to read and analyse the English language.

I never once said he wasn't good or any variation of that. I said he is not as DEADLY, and was wasteful, that his goals to chances ratio was poor.

That remains true, just as it remains true that he is a superb player and will become an even better one.

Already at Hoff he is 2.25 times deadlier, getting 1.5 times as many shots on target and turning 1.5 times more of S-o-T into goals. (As I said he would)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Dec 2010 18:13

Snowball
Victor Meldrew
Make your mind up.

Learn to read and analyse the English language.

I never once said he wasn't good or any variation of that. I said he is not as DEADLY, and was wasteful, that his goals to chances ratio was poor.

That remains true, just as it remains true that he is a superb player and will become an even better one.

Already at Hoff he is 2.25 times deadlier, getting 1.5 times as many shots on target and turning 1.5 times more of S-o-T into goals. (As I said he would)

"Wasteful and his goals to chances ratio was poor"
Hmm,my analysis of English language makes him a long way from being a "superb player" as you now call him.
As ever Snowball you try to do double speak and weedle out of things.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Dec 2010 19:04

I have REPEATEDLY said he was and is a great player.

I ALSO said that his actual chances to goals ratio was poor BECAUSE IT WAS.

How are we doing so far? can you hold these two concepts in your head at the same time?

Great player but wasteful.

I also said he would be taught to be LESS wasteful, and now, instead of 50% of chances on target he is getting 75% of his chances on target.

He is also more lethal in that IF he gets a chance on target it is much more likely to be a goal

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 07 Dec 2010 20:40

Snowball Great player but wasteful.

Great players are not wasteful.

Gylfi was not wasteful. Shane Long has been very wasteful all season. That is all.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Dec 2010 21:18

Deja vu.

Here we go again ala the Shane Long thread...

This Snowball baiting has to stop!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2010 23:02

Basically snowball played a semantics game to try and build a few different, contradictory arguments and generally be a bit of a dick.

Now he's playing the "ah, but that's not really what I said" card in an attempt to always be right.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Dec 2010 23:19

handbags_harris
Snowball Great player but wasteful.

Great players are not wasteful.

Gylfi was not wasteful. Shane Long has been very wasteful all season. That is all.

124 shots for 12 goals

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2010 23:46

Shane Long's never scored 12 goals (in a season)!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Dec 2010 23:51

Snowball
leon

that's what Brian said about this season - he was building the team around Gylfi. I have to laugh at someone who clearly has been watching Reading for about 5 minutes telling me I'm naive about the way the club is run.

He was only a youngster and there no need to sell immediately. Not every club sells its prime asset (that is still developing) at the drop of a hat.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Dec 2010 08:05

Ian Royal Shane Long's never scored 12 goals (in a season)!

Your Barbie doll is in the kitchen sweetie

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Dec 2010 08:09

leon
that's what Brian said about this season - he was building the team around Gylfi.
He was only a youngster and there no need to sell immediately. Not every club sells its prime asset (that is still developing) at the drop of a hat.

We had debts. We didn't have a defence. It was always going to happen.

What's Mac going to say? "I've got this great kid and as long as I've got
him I'm going to change the team around to play him... but I know it's
likely he'll go this summer, virtually certain January, so I won't get my hopes up."

I don't remember any surprise on this list when Gylfi went, only that the
money was higher than we could have hoped for.

PS Long-term support does not equal intelligence.

under the tin

by under the tin » 08 Dec 2010 08:12

leon
Snowball
leon

that's what Brian said about this season - he was building the team around Gylfi. I have to laugh at someone who clearly has been watching Reading for about 5 minutes telling me I'm naive about the way the club is run.

Maybe, just maybe, Brian was not in on the decision to sell him.
Maybe, just maybe, the powers that be upstairs discovered a £4M black hole in the books......

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2010 08:46

under the tin Maybe, just maybe, Brian was not in on the decision to sell him.
Maybe, just maybe, the powers that be upstairs discovered a £4M black hole in the books......

I don't think we had much of a chance of keeping him for more than this season (unless of course we showed real ambition to build a good enough team around him and got promoted, then kept him for a season in the Prem - which was never going to happen of course) but the quotes Brian came out with where full in the knowledge of the 'black hole' in the finances. They weren't exactly a secret.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Dec 2010 09:07

Snowball
leon
that's what Brian said about this season - he was building the team around Gylfi.

We had debts. We didn't have a defence. It was always going to happen.

What's Mac going to say? "I've got this great kid and as long as I've got
him I'm going to change the team around to play him... but I know it's
likely he'll go this summer, virtually certain January, so I won't get my hopes up."

I don't remember any surprise on this list when Gylfi went, only that the
money was higher than we could have hoped for.

PS Long-term support does not equal intelligence.

And neither does intelligence equal common sense, honesty, dignity or maturity.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Dec 2010 09:18

Man Friday Deja vu.

Here we go again ala the Shane Long thread...

This Snowball baiting has to stop!

This ^^^

I've disagreed with the man over many things but some people just seem intent on winding him up and bringing back the Long thread :|

280 posts