183 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by Big Foot » 31 Dec 2010 13:22

handbags_harris
surrounded by saints
handbags_harris
To be fair, they signed him for £1 million, and they won't let him go for anything less than £3 million, surely. No amount of wheeling and dealing will enable us to afford that, or indeed his wages if we could afford the transfer fee.

saints fans still rave about antonio,so why not bite the bullet and offer him in px.much as i like antonio,i dont think hes getting the match time his displays deserve. having said that,cant help thinking that lee barnard would be a much better option from saints.

Nope, I would keep Antonio. He has a major role to play in the future at this club.

I concur, in fact I'd say he's pushing pretty hard for a first team position in the immediate future.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 31 Dec 2010 13:53

Nobody coming in

Long- West Ham 2million

Kebe- Wolves 3 million

Feds- Fulham 1 million

Wage bill reduced one happy chairman.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Dec 2010 14:29

Went and watched Swindon play P'boro at the weekend, If we pay 2m for Austin we'll be well overspending. i would say 900k is fair.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 Dec 2010 15:03

lowerwestjnr Went and watched Swindon play P'boro at the weekend, If we pay 2m for Austin we'll be well overspending. i would say 900k is fair.

So based on ONE match, you've created a valuation? One match.

If you watched Ronaldo vs Barcelona, you wouldn't pay a penny for him, and yet he demolishes teams almost every week. :roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Dec 2010 15:14

Out:
Long, Church, Mooney, Williams, Gunnarsson, Ingimarsson.

In: Some proper forwards

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Dec 2010 15:35

handbags_harris
Nope, I would keep Antonio. He has a major role to play in the future at this club.

This, yes. He is probably the next Kebe, without the warm up year

Hungerford Bee

by Hungerford Bee » 31 Dec 2010 16:23

As Hamer looks like he is coming back to you, can you please send Tabby by return post as you don't seem to be playing with him at the moment?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 31 Dec 2010 16:38

Royalee Out:

Idiot.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Dec 2010 16:48

NR_Royal
lowerwestjnr Went and watched Swindon play P'boro at the weekend, If we pay 2m for Austin we'll be well overspending. i would say 900k is fair.

If you watched Ronaldo vs Barcelona, you wouldn't pay a penny for him, and yet he demolishes teams almost every week. :roll:

My dad lives not 500m from the County Ground, so i have been to more games. :roll: Ask before you asume clever one. Not sure what makes me have to explain myself to you though. :roll:

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 Dec 2010 17:06

lowerwestjnr
NR_Royal

My dad lives not 500m from the County Ground, so i have been to more games. :roll: Ask before you asume clever one. Not sure what makes me have to explain myself to you though. :roll:

Do you not see how you led people to believe that your opinion was based on that one match though? Or are you just looking for an argument? :roll:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Dec 2010 17:15

Seeing Brian walking almost the width of the pitch to give Long a cuddle at the end of the Bristol City game it is obvious that he is even closer to him than Snowball so Long is with us for as long as Brian is in charge.
Hunt likewise although he doesn't seem to have the energy levels of his brother nor much pace about him he'll stay,if only to be a 60 minute player.
I have a feeling that during the window there will be some dealing of forwards with Mooney and Church going and two more coming in,one of which will be the bigger target man that we have been clamouring for all season to give that different option.

It looks as though Leigertwood will be joining permanently but it wouldn't surprise me if either Howard or Tabb were sold to bring in a creative midfielder to provide the different option to Jem and Leigertwood neither of whom fit the play-maker role-Jem being all energy and no finesse and Leigertwood just passes the ball to Jobi.

With Ivar supposedly now fit I don't expect any defensive incomings but as we do have too many keepers we might cash-in on one of them.

The two wingers are very important to our set-up but do we need two more as back-ups?
I expect either Robson-Kanu or Antonio to move either on loan or permanently-preferably Antonio of the two to stay but I'm not as convinced by him as some of the earlier posters so wouldn't despair if he moved on.

Finally either Cummings or Kelly would presumably be allowed to go as well as Bignall and Williams which might just free up a bit of cash for an Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea youngster to join on loan as an attacking wild card.

Hopefully Brian and Nicky have already set some deals up and we don't "go with what we have got" because we need that bit more if we are to be serious play-off contenders-we are currently one of about a dozen teams who probably feel that they are play-off contenders.
My view is that Forest and QPR will get the automatic spots with Cardiff and Swansea plus two others to fight it out for the other two remaining play-off places so I do feel that the squad needs improving and hope that Brian will persuade the chairman likwise.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

2nite

by brendywendy » 31 Dec 2010 17:27

Dont get all the rubbish about antonio. No way he is ready yet. Needs to get twenty mins here or there for a while yet. Way too raw. But no way let him go either. Hes our kebe insurance.

Bit parts out. Austin and liegertwood in.would make me happy.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Dec 2010 17:49

leww_rfc
Royalee Out:

Idiot.

Why?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Dec 2010 18:27

Royalee
leww_rfc
Royalee Out:

Idiot.

Why?

Because you have not given praise to Rodgers or slagged off Coppell, it's a view though, and this is all about views, so what if you do not think Long or Church should stay, is your opinion, and you are allowe d it, FWIW I would lose one of them as well, probably Long if we can sell him.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 Dec 2010 18:30

Royalee
leww_rfc
Royalee Out:

Idiot.

Why?

Probably one of the idiots that guns for your every word Royalee. Although I do personally have reservations with regards the opinion expressed:

Shane Long and Simon Church - I'm not a massive fan of either but I see that they bring something to the side that each of our other strikers doesn't. Long provides oodles of pace with raw strength, as well as a quite incredible aerial ability for someone of his height. One thing I've noticed with him is his touch improves with confidence, his ability and manoeverability improves also. And his goalscoring threat improves massively. As for Church, his movement is excellent, his strength as improved dramatically this season compared to last, and if he could only improve his finishing then with the number of chances he gets he would easily be a 20-goal a season striker. Finishing is something that can be worked on.

Mooney can go, although I do wish he had been given a chance here. Again he offers something that the others don't - a great touch and an uncanny ability to pick a sliderule pass, and a pretty decent finisher as well from the little I've seen of him. He is also pretty damn skilful, one of his touches from an aerial ball against Staines in pre-season was one that would have had commentators purring had it been Berbatov and the like. Admittedly, it was against Staines but not even a Championship defender can have predicted what he tried, and succeeded in doing.

William - yep, end his nightmare.

Gunnarsson and Ingimarsson - I think they have played their last games for Reading, as much as it saddens me to say it. Too old, too slow, maybe Ingimarsson could stay as back up but would he want to do that? Probably not.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 31 Dec 2010 20:11

handbags_harris Probably one of the idiots that guns for your every word Royalee. Although I do personally have reservations with regards the opinion expressed:

Shane Long and Simon Church - I'm not a massive fan of either but I see that they bring something to the side that each of our other strikers doesn't. Long provides oodles of pace with raw strength, as well as a quite incredible aerial ability for someone of his height. One thing I've noticed with him is his touch improves with confidence, his ability and manoeverability improves also. And his goalscoring threat improves massively. As for Church, his movement is excellent, his strength as improved dramatically this season compared to last, and if he could only improve his finishing then with the number of chances he gets he would easily be a 20-goal a season striker. Finishing is something that can be worked on.

Mooney can go, although I do wish he had been given a chance here. Again he offers something that the others don't - a great touch and an uncanny ability to pick a sliderule pass, and a pretty decent finisher as well from the little I've seen of him. He is also pretty damn skilful, one of his touches from an aerial ball against Staines in pre-season was one that would have had commentators purring had it been Berbatov and the like. Admittedly, it was against Staines but not even a Championship defender can have predicted what he tried, and succeeded in doing.

William - yep, end his nightmare.

Gunnarsson and Ingimarsson - I think they have played their last games for Reading, as much as it saddens me to say it. Too old, too slow, maybe Ingimarsson could stay as back up but would he want to do that? Probably not.

what he said

joe999

by joe999 » 31 Dec 2010 21:38

I like Long, but I don't think he's the right sort of player to be our main poacher. I think he's almost ideal as a link-up player in the championship, and with a bit of quality to play alongside him, I think we'd bag a lot of goals. It's ambitious, but I'd love to see us make a bid of a couple of million for a nicky maynard type of player. Just someone who can put the ball in the back of the net and get himself 15 goals a season.

Other than that, I'd like to Khizhinishvili made permanent (I rate him far more than Mills or Pearce) and maybe a loan swoop for Victor Moses from Wigan. Supreme talent that boy has, and not getting in their side at the moment.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Dec 2010 22:55

To sustain a promotion challenge you need a strong in-depth squad, therefore no-one should be let go. I think the majority of fans are being lead towards a false theory that selling players will allow McDermott to bring in new players. Under Madejski, money is only made available when it is deemed approriate. This is a situation where the wallet does need to be opened. Regardless of whether Sigurdsson was sold, the budget will still be the same.

A new striker is a must, as is a replacement for Sigurdsson. Someone who could make that defense splitting pass or scoring from outside the box. None of our current midfield crop can do this. Cameron Stewart, on loan at Hull, is a good example.
Davies could be the answer, he impressed me before he went off the radar. Decent free kick taker as well, so we don't have to over-rely on Ian Harte and get the better Armstrong back in.

Williams and Mooney need to be given another chance or a chance at least. Didn't see anything wrong with Williams, he could have added some much needed pace at the back.
Last edited by LoyalRoyalFan on 01 Jan 2011 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 01 Jan 2011 15:17

In: ZURAB on a permanent if possible,Eidur on a rolling monthly coaching/player contract (Optimistic), LeggyWood on a permanent and lastly a big black striker...

Loan: Most of the youngsters apart from Mc'Carthy or Hamer, Antonio, Bignall and possibly Taylor.

Out: Williams, Mooney and Kelly (Bryn & Gunnar given rolling monthly's also)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Jan 2011 15:28

LoyalRoyalFan t. Didn't see anything wrong with Williams, he could of added some much needed pace at the back.

Didn't see the Northampton game where he was absolutely raped every time then? Or every other game he played for that matter...

183 posts