Back from the Game - Burnley

128 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the Game - Burnley

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jan 2011 18:47

NR_Royal So basically, we're only playing Harte because we have no FK takers?

We need a left back.

We need Bertrand

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jan 2011 18:48

Harte detracters - seriously, take a look at yourselves! Or indeed take alook at who actually put the free right wing crosses in today in their 10 minute spell in the first half and then take an objective look at the winger you cream yourselves over - yes, indeed Chris Eagles, Burnley's main man on the right wing, didn't put a cross over in anger all game. That privelege lay with Tyrone Mears, the right back who overlapped virtually unchecked by Jobi McAnuff three or four times. Harte run ragged? please, do me a favour. After half a season I fail to see what a lot of you guys see with him. He's a player who is adequate, gets caught flat-footed occasionally and therefore done for pace when isolated but rarely, rarely does he get beaten when he stands his man up. He's far from perfect but live with it, he's our first choice left back. And it could be worse - we could be playing Marcus sodding Williams.

As for the game itself, well it was one of those games where both sides had the measure of each other's defences. Mike Duff (who, incidentally, I went to school with) was desperately poor, likewise Clarke Carlisle, neither of whom could handle the quite superb Shane Long. That said, the Burnley midfield, at times, really looked like they had the measure of us, sometimes roasting us with pace, passing and movement and it was these qualities that did for our goal, as well as when Marney hit the inside of the post. Burnley had by far the majority of the first half, but come second half, as ever under McDermott it's a different story. How we didn't get a second/third goal only Grant, fresh air and desperate defending knows. Burnley still carved us apart once though, and how Marney missed from, what, five yards out(?) only he will know. He really cut a dejected figure when he went off didn't he?

Referee - decent, however he really bottled it on three minutes when Thompson went in on Karacan and smashed him in the face. At any stage of the match that is a straight red card without question. Penalty? Yep, looked it to me. Another poor decision. Apart from those admittedly rather large issues, I have no complaints.

loyalroyalsam

by loyalroyalsam » 03 Jan 2011 18:50

long and leigertwood were brilliant!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 03 Jan 2011 18:57

handbags_harris Referee - decent, however he really bottled it on three minutes when Thompson went in on Karacan and smashed him in the face. At any stage of the match that is a straight red card without question. Penalty? Yep, looked it to me. Another poor decision. Apart from those admittedly rather large issues, I have no complaints.

It's those unlucky situations. 20-25 minutes in and it would have probably been a red; 2 yards outside the box and it would have been a free-kick. One of those "soft penalties", and the ref not wanting to ruin the game as a spectacle, would be given as the reasons. That's not to say I agree with them...

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 03 Jan 2011 18:58

oxf*rd of the day: The Retard behind me who after Shanes early miss turned to his Gimpy Mate and said " Long is useless, if i was his Manager i would terminate his contract with immediate effect".
Guess we would have lost 1 nil then you goon !!!!!1

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 18:58

handbags_harris Harte detracters - seriously, take a look at yourselves! Or indeed take alook at who actually put the free right wing crosses in today in their 10 minute spell in the first half and then take an objective look at the winger you cream yourselves over - yes, indeed Chris Eagles, Burnley's main man on the right wing, didn't put a cross over in anger all game. That privelege lay with Tyrone Mears, the right back who overlapped virtually unchecked by Jobi McAnuff three or four times. Harte run ragged? please, do me a favour. After half a season I fail to see what a lot of you guys see with him. He's a player who is adequate, gets caught flat-footed occasionally and therefore done for pace when isolated but rarely, rarely does he get beaten when he stands his man up. He's far from perfect but live with it, he's our first choice left back. And it could be worse - we could be playing Marcus sodding Williams.

Bristol City had better wingers and Armstrong dealt with them.

Harte gets turned too many times.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 Jan 2011 19:00

Apart from a rather innocuous challenge on the edge of the box, have to admit i cant recall a pen shout on McAnuff. Only a clear pen for a foul on Long just after half time when 1 on 1.
Last edited by Tony Le Mesmer on 03 Jan 2011 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Jan 2011 19:00

I don't get how people can say gong in level at half time was the right scoreline. Burnley could and should have been 4-2 up at half time. Marney missed two certs in the first half and another in the second. It seems our defence cannot get it together in the first half of games. Much better in the second though. Harte is always going to be a weak link against teams who like to play with width, and I was also worried by the number of times in the first half Mills got dragged to his left leaving Griffin in no man's land marking two players - the first of Marney's gilt-edged chances was down to this.

On the plus side, Liegertwood was excellent. Lots of tracking back and solid tackling, often leading to a counter attack. His "plodding" running style detracts from his contribution. A bit disappointed with McAnuff, who seemed a little of the pace and too easily disposessed at times.

And onto Shane. Again, excellent work rate and a real pain in arse to mark. Carlise didn't know how to handle him. He should have at least hit the target when through in first half, and timed his run a little better in the second half when put through by Church (called offside), but it's hard to criticise him. I thought he was terrific.

When you look at recent results, you just know that with a couple of sound acquitisions, this league - and the play-offs at the very least - are up for grabs. I won't be holding my breath though.
Last edited by Who Moved The Goalposts? on 03 Jan 2011 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 Jan 2011 19:01

LoyalRoyalFan
handbags_harris Harte detracters - seriously, take a look at yourselves! Or indeed take alook at who actually put the free right wing crosses in today in their 10 minute spell in the first half and then take an objective look at the winger you cream yourselves over - yes, indeed Chris Eagles, Burnley's main man on the right wing, didn't put a cross over in anger all game. That privelege lay with Tyrone Mears, the right back who overlapped virtually unchecked by Jobi McAnuff three or four times. Harte run ragged? please, do me a favour. After half a season I fail to see what a lot of you guys see with him. He's a player who is adequate, gets caught flat-footed occasionally and therefore done for pace when isolated but rarely, rarely does he get beaten when he stands his man up. He's far from perfect but live with it, he's our first choice left back. And it could be worse - we could be playing Marcus sodding Williams.

Er, no he didnt. He got skinned alive.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jan 2011 19:03

LoyalRoyalFan
handbags_harris He's a player who is adequate, gets caught flat-footed occasionally and therefore done for pace when isolated but rarely, rarely does he get beaten when he stands his man up.

Personally, I see too often for my liking Harte fail to get anywhere near stopping crosses from his side. Stop the cross, stop any chance of the opposition scoring. I'd actually like to know how many goals we have conceded from crosses our left hand side since Harte joined us (no, seriously - I would like to know, I am not being rhetorical).

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 19:03

Tony Le Mesmer
LoyalRoyalFan

Er, no he didnt. He got skinned alive.

Just like Harte most weeks then.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Jan 2011 19:05

Kitson12
chilipepper91 Wallace (who I believe scored that thunderbolt against us in the play-offs two years ago) hit the bar last minute with a freekick.

Paterson. Wallace didn't play for Burnley back then.

Wallace however, scored an absolute screamer for Preston against us on the last day of last season. I've got a feeling he's scored in another game for Preston down here too.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 03 Jan 2011 19:06

Big Foot Elwood

Gay

loyalroyal4life Elwood

Gay

Royals-lad14 elwood

Gay

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Jan 2011 19:09

LoyalRoyalFan

Handbags is right. Never mind that everything you say is wrong.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 19:09

Row Z Royal
LoyalRoyalFan

Handbags is right. Never mind that everything you say is wrong.

Ian Harte adds very little to the team. Free-kicks aside, he is League One standard.

Tilehurst Blue

by Tilehurst Blue » 03 Jan 2011 19:10

Harte just couldn't keep up today, got ran past majority of the time.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 03 Jan 2011 19:13

Elwood? How old are you.
Great result today against a decent team that should be higher in the league. Once again it proved that with a decent strike partner we could crack on into the play off positions. Our game is about width and when mcanuff and kebe are closely marked we don't offer alot. I think an attacking midfielder to play along side a karacan /leighterwood partnership would complete the team.

As for the atmosphere, pathetic. It started with that death march music they play before the game.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 03 Jan 2011 19:29

LoyalRoyalFan Ian Harte is not good enough. Turned every time and generally poor. Only really adds experience and prowess from set pieces, but it's not enough to warrant a starting place in this team.

He came in on the cheap and immediatley improved the left back position by replacing out of his depth Marcus Williams. His set-pieces are worth their weight in gold, especially when we lack goalscorers. Even Carlisle knocked his defending, but what he gives away in defending he makes up in goals and chances made from free-kicks and crosses. Until we stumble on a long term left back, Harte is alright!

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 03 Jan 2011 19:32

loyalroyaldaz oxf*rd of the day: The Retard behind me who after Shanes early miss turned to his Gimpy Mate and said " Long is useless, if i was his Manager i would terminate his contract with immediate effect".
Guess we would have lost 1 nil then you goon !!!!!1

That's almost as retarded as children who have "In Swindon, stabbing people" as their location.. I bet you're not!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jan 2011 19:33

Pat Butchers Ring As for the atmosphere, pathetic. It started with that death march music they play before the game.

Have to agree. I remarked at the time that the music sounded like the kind of crap they pipe in when you're queuing for a roller coaster at Alton Towers.

128 posts