You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

183 posts
under the tin

Re: You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by under the tin » 04 Jan 2011 08:29

Harpers So Solid Crew ........ progressive management would be buying at the start of the window, rather than sit and wait, my fear will be that we get no one in to strengthen the squad, then QPR come along and snap up Kebe, and someone comes along for Long, we almost know for sure that should we get offers of about £2m for either we will accept it.

I share those concerns.
You can kind of get the logic behind selling Kebe. He's in the best form of his career over here, his market value is at it's highest, and he is coming towards the tail end of his contract.
Shane represents a (relatively) cheap punt for a struggling Prem club. His workrate alone could be the difference between a club staying up or getting relegated.
I believe that the Siggy money is being kept back to cover future budgetary shortfalls, so Brian can't be proactive.
Perhaps the only way we will see a new striker coming in will be with the proceeds of sales. If they do go, I hope it happens soon, so Brian isn't put in the same position as he was after Siggy went.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2011 08:43

andrew1957 I thought Brian's comments on BBCRB were quite reassuring as I have been more worried about players leaving than expecting a lot to come in.

The trouble is, as the guys on the radio rightly pointed out, McD's words don't count for that much. Ultimately, it is and will be Madjeski who decides what happens.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 10:20

RoyalBlue
andrew1957 I thought Brian's comments on BBCRB were quite reassuring as I have been more worried about players leaving than expecting a lot to come in.

The trouble is, as the guys on the radio rightly pointed out, McD's words don't count for that much. Ultimately, it is and will be Madjeski who decides what happens.

McD more-or-less suggested that we were in deep financial doo-doo and HAD to sell Gylfi.

I suppose he might have meant, "We had to sell because they were offering silly money."

Hopefully QPR won't up the price too much, or some other club Gazump us over Elwood
but a tall, heavy target-man would be great now, and a classy box-to-box midfielder to rival Karacan

Karacan gets splattered every game. He is very likely to be out for a run of games at some time.
I like Tabby but he's not yet back to playing well. I wonder if the injury is still troublesome

IMO with Elwood in, a quality striker that could work with Shane and/or Noel, a top midfielder we'd easily be top 4-5.

Much as I rate Ian Harte, I think we'd need a very, very good LB to get automatic.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2011 11:48

Snowball
RoyalBlue

McD more-or-less suggested that we were in deep financial doo-doo and HAD to sell Gylfi.

I suppose he might have meant, "We had to sell because they were offering silly money."

Hopefully QPR won't up the price too much, or some other club Gazump us over Elwood
but a tall, heavy target-man would be great now, and a classy box-to-box midfielder to rival Karacan

Karacan gets splattered every game. He is very likely to be out for a run of games at some time.
I like Tabby but he's not yet back to playing well. I wonder if the injury is still troublesome

IMO with Elwood in, a quality striker that could work with Shane and/or Noel, a top midfielder we'd easily be top 4-5.

Much as I rate Ian Harte, I think we'd need a very, very good LB to get automatic.

I think you are being overly optimistic. Legs "is" the box to box midfielder that we have been missing. If we could sign him and Austin and keep all our key players then I would even forgive Sir Mad for selling Gylfi as it would show genuine ambition.

If on the other hand we buy no one and sell a key player or two, then it really will be time for the Chairman to go.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 12:09

andrew1957
Snowball

I think you are being overly optimistic. Legs "is" the box to box midfielder that we have been missing. If we could sign him and Austin and keep all our key players then I would even forgive Sir Mad for selling Gylfi as it would show genuine ambition.

If on the other hand we buy no one and sell a key player or two, then it really will be time for the Chairman to go.

I don' understand that. I'm saying we need THREE players to be "easily top five" and a fourth player to get automatic.

That's hardly "optimistic, unless you mean believing we'll GET THEM is optimistic.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jan 2011 12:19

Snowball
andrew1957
Snowball

I don' understand that. I'm saying we need THREE players to be "easily top five" and a fourth player to get automatic.

That's hardly "optimistic, unless you mean believing we'll GET THEM is optimistic.

Or the alternative view is that to bring in three or four players now could upset the balance of the squad thus actually weakening us. I don't believe that January is EVER the time to make that many changes unless you really have to (for example Fulham in the season we got relegated)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jan 2011 12:21

Snowball
andrew1957
Snowball

just think this is way off the mark.

we are a top half-top 6 without anyone.

two of the players mentioned would get us definite playoffs/possible automatic

shirley

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 12:25

Wycombe Royal

Or the alternative view is that to bring in three or four players now could upset the balance of the squad thus actually weakening us. I don't believe that January is EVER the time to make that many changes unless you really have to (for example Fulham in the season we got relegated)

I'm not saying we should and I seriously don't expect it, but we already (almost) have brought in Elwood
and that did the opposite of upsetting the applecart.

A new No 2 striker might be a bit hard for Noel to take and maybe Church would want away, but a few extra goals and top six might soon dispel worries.

Harte will need replacing if we go up, and surely he'll need replacing if we go for automatic next season?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 12:26

Wendy, we already have ONE of them in Elwood.

Are you saying a new striker will guarantee us top six?

If Karacan gets injured can Howard or Tabb step up and get us safely into the play-offs?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jan 2011 12:27

Snowball I'm not saying we should and I seriously don't expect it, but we already (almost) have brought in Elwood

I was responding to your comment of bringing in 3 or 4, not 1 or 2....... :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jan 2011 12:28

Snowball If Karacan gets injured can Howard or Tabb step up and get us safely into the play-offs?

They were both instrumental in the midfield that saw our rise upthe table in the second half of last season, so yes they can.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jan 2011 12:32

Snowball Wendy, we already have ONE of them in Elwood.

Are you saying a new striker will guarantee us top six?

If Karacan gets injured can Howard or Tabb step up and get us safely into the play-offs?

with a run of games yes- they were our best CM pairing last year by some way.
plus we still have bryn......... :lol:
i dont even think we need a striker tbf 8)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 12:42

Wycombe Royal
Snowball If Karacan gets injured can Howard or Tabb step up and get us safely into the play-offs?

They were both instrumental in the midfield that saw our rise upthe table in the second half of last season, so yes they can.

Personally, I think Howard is deterioring, and I'm also worried Tabb's injury is still there; he just doesn't seem the same player.

I love Tabb's attitude to bits but I don't know think yippee, Tabb is playing

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 12:44

Wycombe Royal
Snowball I'm not saying we should and I seriously don't expect it, but we already (almost) have brought in Elwood

I was responding to your comment of bringing in 3 or 4, not 1 or 2....... :roll:

Yeah, but now we "have" 1, two is one and three is two, if you get my drift

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 04 Jan 2011 13:07

Here is the BBC's take on Brian's comments.

Looks like Elwood and one other in and hopefully nobody out.

Reading will not sell in January - Brian McDermott

McDermott coached at Reading for 10 years before becoming manager
Reading manager Brian McDermott has vowed not to sell any of his squad during the January transfer window.

McDermott told BBC Berkshire: "In the summer we sold Gylfi Sigurdsson and at that point we had no choice.

"We are not in that situation now so I have no plans to sell any of our players [in January].

"There's a possibility we might bring one in. But the most important thing for me is every single one of the players we've got now stays."

McDermott also spoke highly of midfielder Mikele Leigertwood, who has not lost in his six appearances in a Reading shirt after joining the Royals on loan from championship leaders Queens Park Rangers.

"He was outstanding [against Burnley]. We'll need to talk but obviously Mikele is a player I want to keep," said the Reading manager.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 04 Jan 2011 13:15

If we sign Elwood and a striker, hopefully Charlie Austin but i wouldn't mind a loan, and we only sell dead-wood i.e Mooney and Williams then i would be a happy fan come 1st February.

I think that will mean a play-off spot and possible automatics.

A left-back wouldn't go a miss but is not essential as Armstrong and Harte are more than competent at this level, espcially Armstrong who has of course won player of the season for us.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 04 Jan 2011 13:40

what is all the guff about signing austin, pigtown have already said they wont sell for any less than £1.5 million.. you can almost hear SJM trembling at the very notion.

we'd be lucky if we brought in a player a quarter of that value the way the clubs purse is run :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jan 2011 13:44

Snowball
Wycombe Royal

Yeah, but now we "have" 1, two is one and three is two, if you get my drift

No we don't have one, he is stil on loan.

And in my book one is one, two is two, three is three, if you get my drift

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 04 Jan 2011 14:06

fester_royal what is all the guff about signing austin, pigtown have already said they wont sell for any less than £1.5 million.. you can almost hear SJM trembling at the very notion.

we'd be lucky if we brought in a player a quarter of that value the way the clubs purse is run :roll:

Hull have offered £1.2 million. We should be able to match that with the Long money.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2011 14:19

Snowball

Yes I did mean you were being optimistic that we would sign 3 players. I think 2 is the most we will see - one of which being Legs. I think two would be enough to most likely get us a play off place BUT I suspect we will sign Legs and no one else.

183 posts