Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 19:31

Victor Meldrew [
There are lots of reasons why players prefer one club over the other.
Leigertwood might have been a fan of Roy Keane
He might consider the greater history of the club
He might well think of Ipswich as a much more pleasant place to live
And probably the biggest thing of them all (as it nearly always is)the question of wages.
For most players the outside chance of promotion compared to an outside chance of relegation IMHO is not an issue.

All reasonable points, but there's another biggee in our favour
other than the fact he was welcomed with open arms and the
nobbers campaigned for him to have freedom of the city

He doesn't have to move house if he's at Reading. Big deal if he's a family man.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Jan 2011 19:37

Winnershroyal
Ian Royal Frankly, at £1m they could have him, he really isn't worth that, especially to us and McAnuff is far far better in his respective position and more important to us. I struggle to believe anyone would pay £1m for Leigterwood these days.

Are you serious?? :shock: :shock:

Totally different types of player, one we need more than the other.

TBF IR is right £1m for Leigterwood?? Bet Sidwell wont go to Wolves for that (yes i know his contract is due in summer)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 20:04

IF they really do ask for a mill, we don't have to buy.

We simply extend the loan for the rest of the season.

If Elwood wants to play here, and QPR are keen to offload, I suspect they'll be more sensible.

IMO it's more likely they might want him back to PLAY

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Jan 2011 20:54

Town target Leigertwood
Royals face fight for on-loan midfielder

Ipswich are lining up a move for Queens Park Rangers midfielder Mikele Leigertwood, skysports.com understands

Leigertwood is currently on loan at Reading, but his spell at the Madejski Stadium ends later this month.

The former Crystal Palace man has impressed at Reading and the Royals are thought to be keen on making the move permanent.

However, they could face competition from Championship rivals Ipswich with Roy Keane keen to bolster his squad in this month's transfer window.

QPR are willing to offload Leigertwood as he does not figure in Neil Warnock's long-term plans and it seems Ipswich and Reading are set to battle it out for the midfielder's services.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 69,00.html

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2011 21:17

Winnershroyal
Ian Royal Frankly, at £1m they could have him, he really isn't worth that, especially to us and McAnuff is far far better in his respective position and more important to us. I struggle to believe anyone would pay £1m for Leigterwood these days.

I didn't say they were the same type of player.

Someone suggested McAnuff could be flogged to free up the room for him. Given McAnuff's been one of our best players and the back up for him is not in the same league as he is, I'd much much rather keep him even if it means Liegterwood is bought by Ipswich for a massively inflated price. It's not like we don't have plenty of good midfielders, even if he does offer us something a little different to the rest.

So I'd agree one of them we need far more than the other, and it's McAnuff.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Jan 2011 21:26

Ian Royal
Winnershroyal

I didn't say they were the same type of player.

Someone suggested McAnuff could be flogged to free up the room for him. Given McAnuff's been one of our best players and the back up for him is not in the same league as he is, I'd much much rather keep him even if it means Liegterwood is bought by Ipswich for a massively inflated price. It's not like we don't have plenty of good midfielders, even if he does offer us something a little different to the rest.

Ian you obviously have not been at recent matches. Leigertwood has been a different class to our other CM's. He is a box to box player - none of the others are. Karacan and Tabb are very similar - busy players that break up play. Howard is variable and I really don't know whether he is better at DCM or ACM. He has played both well and both very badly. Gunnar is getting on a bit. We really need a legs type player and it could make a lot of difference to our final league position.

His signing is even more important than a new striker in my opinion - although both are clearly needed.

If there was no other way of getting him I might consider letting McAnuff go if QPR gave us say 1M plus Leigertwood. We need Legs more than McAnuff IMO. We could then use the cash for Austin.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2011 21:38

i've watched 5 of his performances thanks. His first against Leeds he was a passenger. Hull he was really poor and we probably deserved to lose, not that Hull were especially good. Derby were desperately unlucky not to score a hatful, although we could have had plenty... not a good sign for a defensive midfielder. He was ok against Coventry, and good against Bristol.

I've seen plenty in those games to make me worry about whether a team with good attackers who can finish would give us a real hard time.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Jan 2011 21:43

Ian Royal i've watched 5 of his performances thanks. His first against Leeds he was a passenger. Hull he was really poor and we probably deserved to lose, not that Hull were especially good. Derby were desperately unlucky not to score a hatful, although we could have had plenty... not a good sign for a defensive midfielder. He was ok against Coventry, and good against Bristol.

I've seen plenty in those games to make me worry about whether a team with good attackers who can finish would give us a real hard time.

He was superb against Burnley. He is not a DCM anyway. By box to box it means that he both gets back to support the defence and gets forward to support the attack. Yes that can leave you a bit open at the back but that is always going to be the case with 4-4-2. It is the defenders who have to take the main responsibility for defending.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 21:54

andrew1957
Ian Royal i've watched 5 of his performances thanks. His first against Leeds he was a passenger. Hull he was really poor and we probably deserved to lose, not that Hull were especially good. Derby were desperately unlucky not to score a hatful, although we could have had plenty... not a good sign for a defensive midfielder. He was ok against Coventry, and good against Bristol.

He was superb against Burnley. He is not a DCM anyway. By box to box it means that he both gets back to support the defence and gets forward to support the attack. Yes that can leave you a bit open at the back but that is always going to be the case with 4-4-2. It is the defenders who have to take the main responsibility for defending.

Correct Andrew

442 will always concede more goals but it usually means you score more.

It's difficult for some, but hello, three midfielders instead of two, see, it's easier to block runs, easier to win the ball and go forward.

If we lose Elwood we will almost certainly not make the top six. And YES, his acquisition is more crucial than a striker (but if we get a number 1-2 striker and keep Elwood, then the future is bright)

IMO Elwood looked very promising in his first game, just a bit unfit match-wise. In every other game he's been better except at Hull where he did good and bad (but turned out to be injured). But nhey, just because he's undefeated W3 D3 and has released the forwards to score 7 goals in 6, and just because the manager rates him and wants to buy him, that fades to nothing against an amateur's opinion or two.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 06 Jan 2011 22:28

Snowball
Victor Meldrew [
And probably the biggest thing of them all (as it nearly always is)the question of wages.
For most players the outside chance of promotion compared to an outside chance of relegation IMHO is not an issue.

He doesn't have to move house if he's at Reading. Big deal if he's a family man.

Keane's not guaranteed to be there either. Not always a good situation to be brought-in by a manager only to see him sacked. May find himself in the same "does not fit into plans" as where he is now at QPR.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jan 2011 08:20

PremAddict
Snowball
Victor Meldrew [

Keane's not guaranteed to be there either. Not always a good situation to be brought-in by a manager only to see him sacked. May find himself in the same "does not fit into plans" as where he is now at QPR.

According to the Daily Mail...

Ipswich Town have sacked manager Roy Keane after 20 months in charge following their seventh defeat in nine games in Monday's 1-0 loss at home to Nottingham Forest.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 07 Jan 2011 09:38

Confirmed this morning Keane has been sacked: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 346787.stm

Think this means we now lead the race for Leigertwood, if we didn't already. Leigertwood wants to join RFC, McD wants him here - surely he will join

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 07 Jan 2011 09:48

Not that bothered about Mikele, i wouldnt make anything more than 400-500k for him. Would rather see the money spent on a decent striker to partner Long.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 07 Jan 2011 09:50

LoyalRoyal22 Not that bothered about Mikele, i wouldnt make anything more than 400-500k for him. Would rather see the money spent on a decent striker to partner Long.

Think the fee will be around that much tbh. Can't see RFC passing up on it tbf

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jan 2011 09:51

Leigertwood is on loan until the end of the season, for some reason they can't announce this at the moment

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 07 Jan 2011 09:58

i now realise why i cant find any transfer rumours about us signing some called Elwood, as its Leigertwood :oops:

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 07 Jan 2011 13:55

we'll see tomorrow - if he plays in the cup then he is staying, if he doesn't then he is not! QPR won't let us cup tie him if they wish to keep or sell him

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Jan 2011 13:56

shaka's shorts we'll see tomorrow - if he plays in the cup then he is staying, if he doesn't then he is not! QPR won't let us cup tie him if they wish to keep or sell him

Although they have already said he is still carrying an injury......

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jan 2011 13:57

Or if he doesn't it's because Brian has picked someone else? The loan is until the end of the season, don't know why they can't announce that officially or if that means he can/can't be recalled by Colin

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 07 Jan 2011 14:24

Silver Fox Or if he doesn't it's because Brian has picked someone else? The loan is until the end of the season, don't know why they can't announce that officially or if that means he can/can't be recalled by Colin

From looking at the loan rules on the FL website, QPR can only activate the recall option during January, so we'll know soon enough. At least, that was my reading of the rule.

830 posts