RFC claims to fame

285 posts
SHORT AND CURLY

Re: RFC claims to fame

by SHORT AND CURLY » 15 Jan 2011 19:43

Met Gary Peters and had a good PIZZED chat with him at a night club in Preston (when he was Preston manager)

I also went to St Joseph,s school in Bracknell with Lawrie Sanchez.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 15 Jan 2011 20:11

On the box jumping up and down celebrating a Jimmy Quinn header at Brisbane Road

Non RFC, but also on the box at the famous West Brom 2 Woking 4 match / England v Spain in Euro 96

Won an "executive box" (Elm Park days) on 210.

Sons of BVD have both been mascots (Charlton home first prem year and Cov home live on Sky 2 years ago - coldest game I can ever remember at the Mad). Also eldest was involved in hit the crossbar challange home to QPR 2-3 years ago. All 3 missed so they did a keepie uppie challange to win £107 and eldest went last (he was aged 11 against 2 blokes) and needed 21 to win. Got 15 and got a big round of applause from the East Stand.

Met SJM on a M1 service station en route to Elland Road.

Sat in front of Mr & Mrs Doyle senior at our first ever away premiership game at Villa.

Non RFC, but wife's grandmother's brother is the grandfather of Kevin Nolan. Think that makes him my third cousin in law?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2011 22:56

Royal With Cheese
peeping bernal
Royal With Cheese
Was on the front page of the evening post on New Year's eve after being wrongfully arrested at Hull.

Was this about the theft of a Hull flag on the Oxford Road in the mid 90's? Think it was first or second game of the season it happened. I was also arrested at that away game in conjunction with that crime, only because my car got smashed up outside the ground next to the police vans they deceided to pull me, blame me of stealing the flag from a mini bus on the Oxford Road, theft of a car (my own car). Missed most of the game in the cells under the home end. TOSSERS!

That was the one.

I've still got that flag, it's in the garden shed along with the clock from Elm Park.

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 15 Jan 2011 22:56

Royal With Cheese
peeping bernal
Royal With Cheese
Was on the front page of the evening post on New Year's eve after being wrongfully arrested at Hull.

Was this about the theft of a Hull flag on the Oxford Road in the mid 90's? Think it was first or second game of the season it happened. I was also arrested at that away game in conjunction with that crime, only because my car got smashed up outside the ground next to the police vans they deceided to pull me, blame me of stealing the flag from a mini bus on the Oxford Road, theft of a car (my own car). Missed most of the game in the cells under the home end. TOSSERS!

That was the one.

And where you one of the 4 in my car that day?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Jan 2011 11:08

peeping bernal And where you one of the 4 in my car that day?

It was the back end of 1991 so I would have had a company car at the time. TBH - I genuinely can't remember!

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 16 Jan 2011 12:03

My father-in-law is a retired professional referee and in the 70's trained with Reading to keep fit.

My cousin has given John Madejski a full body massage. :shock:

I once blagged my way into a press conference at Elm Park, pretending to be a sports journalist for The Sun.

I used to climb over the blue gate behind the South Bank and play football in Elm Park late at night. With a full moon you had just enough light to have a decent kick-about.

I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to Darius Wdowczyk when he lived in Westwood Glen.

I went to school with Neil Webb. He also lived in the house backing on to mine.

I once wrote to Maurice Evans asking him if he would come and scout me playing for Wokingham Town. I received a reply that he would attend, and then I broke my ankle and never played football again.

I've taken money off both Micky Gooding and Jimmy Quinn after beating them both at Snooker, at the Pangbourne Club.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 Jan 2011 20:08

I'm the ultimate bad omen when it comes to "crunch time" games. I started following the team in around 2000. Here's my record of "big games" since.

Wallsall (H) 2001 - I'm present to watch us spunk away a 2-0 lead and our best auto promotion chance.
Colchester (A) 2001 - A rare exception to the rule. I'm not there.
Wigan (H) 2001 - Epic night at Mad Stad. I'm at home listening on the radio.
Wallsall, play-off final - I'm there; gutted to see us miss out.
Peterborough (H) 2002 - The chance to clinch promotion at the Mad Stad. I'm there, we fail.
Brentdord (A) 2002 - I can't get a ticket. Listen to the radio; we're successful.
Wolves play-0ff 2003 - I watch the away leg on TV and I'm there for the home leg. We lose.
Leicester (A) 2006 - I can't get tickets.
Derby (H) 2006 - Still the most gutting of the lot. I have a ticket but I'm horrendously ill and not up to making the 2 hour trip around the M25 which is necessary for me. Listen at home as we win 5-0.
Fulham (H) 2008 - The day Premiership football was meant to be all but ensured. I'm there. Horrendous. Admittedly I didn't go to Derby, but in hindsight the costly day was the one I attended.
Brum (H) 2009 - I'm there. Disappointment.
Burnley play-off, 2009 - I make the away leg and watch the home leg on TV. We lose.

So there you have my record. I've seen us miss out on promotion several times, never been there for the celebrations and saw the game which set the relegation sequence into motion.

The good news for you all is that I'm in my final year at university in Leeds and should we make the play-offs it will be in the middle of a rather gruelling exam period. I'll be unlikely to make the trips down south. After that moving into London beckons and I plan to get my attendance up, so my luck had better change.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Jan 2011 20:43

roadrunner My cousin has given John Madejski a full body massage. :shock:

What "extras" did John ask him for?

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 16 Jan 2011 21:11

Royal With Cheese
roadrunner My cousin has given John Madejski a full body massage. :shock:

What "extras" did John ask him for?

Did the 'Full body' include his wallet that he was probably clutching tightly by his side?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 16 Jan 2011 23:11

I beat Gary Peters at table tennis.

His sister was also in the same class as me at school.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 Jan 2011 23:18

I met Brian McDermott in a bar last summer.

It was whilst on 2 days training for an internship and the venue I was at was also being used by the FA for a coaching course. Zola, Solskjaer and a few others were about too. We'd heard the rumours that footballers were about but they were all shut away in their hotel rooms and too aloof to go into the bar, with the exception of McDermott and his friends (as if anybody is surprised by that).

I was star struck and my friend had to introduce me. People with me asked "Who is that fat, bald guy?"

Anyhow, I thanked him for the second half of the season and making me enjoy my life as a Reading fan for the first time in a few years, asked him if Griffin was on his way (he just smiled and said "good player") and told him that we had a chance of promotion but I wasn't really expecting it and a top half finish would be good. I was rather drunk so I may have said a few stupid things too like going into in depth comparisons with Steve Coppell and discussing the implications of Noel Hunt's return to fitness.

VOR

by VOR » 16 Jan 2011 23:49

My sister lives in a house in Dorset that used to be the pub that was run by Trevor Senior's parents when he was a young lad

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Jan 2011 23:58

I went too school with Josh Webb. Son of Neil Webb.
I went too school with Theo Walcott, living not 500m from his family home, played football with him most weekends..
I went too school 200 yards from JM's mansion.
I sat 1m away from most our young academy players (Gylfi, Church, Cox etc..) most home games a few years ago.

That's all i can think of for now:)

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 17 Jan 2011 15:19

lowerwestjnr I went too school

Are you sure?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 17 Jan 2011 15:27

VOR My sister lives in a house in Dorset that used to be the pub that was run by Trevor Senior's parents when he was a young lad

Trevor senior? you must know RL

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 17 Jan 2011 15:39

roadrunner My father-in-law is a retired professional referee and in the 70's trained with Reading to keep fit.

My cousin has given John Madejski a full body massage. :shock:

I once blagged my way into a press conference at Elm Park, pretending to be a sports journalist for The Sun.

I used to climb over the blue gate behind the South Bank and play football in Elm Park late at night. With a full moon you had just enough light to have a decent kick-about.

I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to Darius Wdowczyk when he lived in Westwood Glen.

I once wrote to Maurice Evans asking him if he would come and scout me playing for Wokingham Town. I received a reply that he would attend, and then I broke my ankle and never played football again.

I've taken money off both Micky Gooding and Jimmy Quinn after beating them both at Snooker, at the Pangbourne Club.

I wonder how much of this is actually true Jay?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 17 Jan 2011 16:02

roadrunner I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to Darius Wdowczyk when he lived in Westwood Glen.

Far be it for me to doubt your career as a veteran paperboy, but if Neil Webb left school aged 16 in 1979, and you were 11 then, so that would make you about 26-30 When Dariusz was playing for us.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 17 Jan 2011 16:07

I think Jay is being rather economical with the truth here (quelle surprise). Neil Webb did indeed go to Little Heath, as did Jay (and me in fact), but long before he or I attended there.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Jan 2011 16:11

Bandini
roadrunner I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to Darius Wdowczyk when he lived in Westwood Glen.

Far be it for me to doubt your career as a veteran paperboy, but if Neil Webb left school aged 16 in 1979, and you were 11 then, so that would make you about 26-30 When Dariusz was playing for us.

When my children were little my wife worked for the Reading Evening Post, and as you do, employed a number of youngsters to deliver for her. There was rarely a week where one or two wouldn't let her down and so my son and I would often deliver for her. It brought in a little income when she needed to be at home and do the school runs.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 17 Jan 2011 16:14

Obvious lies are obvious.

285 posts