Back from the Game - Pompey

144 posts
If you still hate Futcher

Re: Back from the Game - Pompey

by If you still hate Futcher » 04 Apr 2011 13:42

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. For the first 20 mins it looked just a matter of time before responsibility got the better of sentiment and Kitson actually tried to score. But after he missed the one on one when McCarthy spilled Nugent's shot we started to get a hold in midfield and came into the game more and more.

I thought the reason we struggled against them, especially late in the 2nd half, was because we missed Leigertwood's height as they were a big strong team.

No-one had a bad game though McAnuff's injury affected him but I do agree with others that he was subbed to stop the ref evening the sides up more than because of the injury.

What a shame that Church's goal was ruled out - a great strike and it would've done him no end of good for that have been allowed.

Agree with Howard as MOM but would also give mentions to Karacan and Zurab (and Long of course).

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 04 Apr 2011 13:55

ZacNaloen Good, because I couldn't work out why it was ruled out from the game and no one had mentioned it.

They reckon offside, would like to know who was offside because it certainly wasn't Simon.

From where I was sitting in the North-East corner - with a pretty good view of it - it looked like a blatant handball to me. Thought the Howard one was a bit more of a close-call, but to be fair to the ref I could see why he gave that one too. (Whether I'd be saying all this if we hadn't won I don't know!).

Thought Howard had one of his best games for the club - definitely one of his best this season. McCarthy continues to grow into an excellent keeper and Zurab again showed his class. I know Mills and Pearce formed an excellent partnership earlier in the season but we just have to keep him in the side. The only change I'd definitely make for Tuesday is Griffin in for Gunnarsson. Long-term I expect Ivar to be replaced by either Pearce or Mills, and obviously Leigertwood needs to come back in when fit too. I'm in the camp that would prefer him to replace Karacan than Tabb.

One other thing I would say....for the first time in a few years I think we have a team that I'd back to win the play offs if we got there. Not necessarily in terms of class, but in terms of attitude and the way they battle. There's nothing nervous or panicky about the way we play when we're in front. Under Rodgers (and to an extent under Coppell towards the end of his reign) I always felt that we were one slip away from disaster. Maybe it's the way McDermott's set them up, maybe it's where the experience of a back four containing Harte, Ivar, Zurab, Bryn or Griffin comes into play, but even when we played against Everton recently I didn't feel the same nerves in the last five minutes that I used to do when we're 1-0 up.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Apr 2011 13:58

See the highlights, it definitely didn't go anywhere near Church's hands.

Howard on the other hand was as blatant a handball as you can get.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 04 Apr 2011 14:03

I'd have said the highlights show it to be a handball. When the ball pings back to him from the defender after Karacan's shot, he controls it with the upper part of his arm. The camera is at the wrong angle and it seems to happen very quickly, but everyone around us looking directly at him all agreed that it was handball.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Apr 2011 14:05

I was looking at him from the other direction and it was his chest...

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Apr 2011 14:07

I thought it was controlled by his arm, but i was a long way away.

But there's enough doubt to explain why the ref saw it that way - and if we're moaning about the ref's decisons on Saturday we are a set of spoilt brats, because we certainly got the better luck out of them.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 04 Apr 2011 14:07

Svlad Cjelli I thought it was controlled by his arm, but i was a long way away.

But there's enough doubt to explain why the ref saw it that way - and if we're moaning about the ref's decisons on Saturday we are a set of spoilt brats, because we certainly got the better luck out of them.

Quiet you. I just want Church to turn the corner :P

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Apr 2011 14:14

ZacNaloen
Svlad Cjelli I thought it was controlled by his arm, but i was a long way away.

But there's enough doubt to explain why the ref saw it that way - and if we're moaning about the ref's decisions on Saturday we are a set of spoilt brats, because we certainly got the better luck out of them.

Quiet you. I just want Church to turn the corner :P

It was a cracking strike - and from a building his confidence point of view that's probably all he needs. He knows it was a great goal, he doesn't need it to appear on the scoresheet to know how good it was and feel he can do it again.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 04 Apr 2011 14:18

That's better.

Simon if you are reading this, it was a cracking strike.

Not quite as cracking as that one you scored at the end of last season, but cracking none the less.

We believe in you.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 04 Apr 2011 14:24

If you're reading this Simon, you've had an absolute howler of a season, and I cringe everytime you come on in the 80th minute.

All the best.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 04 Apr 2011 14:26

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 04 Apr 2011 14:32

ZacNaloen That's better.

Simon if you are reading this, it was a cracking strike.

Not quite as cracking as that one you scored at the end of last season, but cracking none the less.

We believe in you.

But it was still handball. :wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Apr 2011 14:52

Far Canal
Kitson12
Fox Talbot The Pompey backpass was played from the thigh so it was OK, correct decision by ref. If played by knee or below would have been an offence. Writes a non-ref, in trepidation.

Thought you could play it back with the knee?

You can.

In 1992, it was ruled that if a player deliberately kicked the ball with his feet for his goalkeeper and the latter touched it with his hands or arms, there would be an indirect free-kick against him. Heading the ball, playing it with the knee, thigh or chest were all still permitted, as it was felt that such situations, deprived of the accuracy of a pass with feet, might create a chance of the opposing forwards stealing a wayward back pass to their advantage.

http://www.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=72050.html

This was news to me so have just looked at latest Laws of game

A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own
penalty area in the following circumstances:
• if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession
and has not touched any other player:
– the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching
it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds
accidentally from him, e.g. after he has made a save
– possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the
ball
• if he touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to
him by a team-mate
• if he touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a
throw-in taken by a team-mate

This suggests that he can't even use his hands to control the ball never mind picking it up
It also says "deliberately kick" without reference to parts of the leg (I would have thought this outweighs anything written in 1992)
And it also prohibits touching the ball with hand from a throw - didn't know that either!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Apr 2011 14:54

bcubed And it also prohibits touching the ball with hand from a throw - didn't know that either!

You are Nick Colgan AICMFP!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Apr 2011 15:02

kieran Well, I cam on before the game and here I am after.

Well done and congrats on the win.

Didnt think it was a particularly good game, but was better than some of the other enconuters. Particularly the one at FP at the start of the season.

Shame about the violence but I get used to that to be honest.
good luck for the rest of the season - will we see you next season or not? good luck if not.

PUP

Cheers, Kieran. Given Kits's misses, we were in some ways lucky to win. Portsmouth played enough good football to suggest that they might still be in it.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Apr 2011 15:05

If you still hate Futcher
What a shame that Church's goal was ruled out - a great strike and it would've done him no end of good for that have been allowed.

Should do him good anyway. Whether the ref chalked it off or not, he proved to himself that he could do that. I was pleased to see Reading shooting well from that range, which is where Gylfi used to operate from.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Apr 2011 15:07

Croydon Royal
ZacNaloen Good, because I couldn't work out why it was ruled out from the game and no one had mentioned it.

They reckon offside, would like to know who was offside because it certainly wasn't Simon.

From where I was sitting in the North-East corner - with a pretty good view of it - it looked like a blatant handball to me. Thought the Howard one was a bit more of a close-call, but to be fair to the ref I could see why he gave that one too. (Whether I'd be saying all this if we hadn't won I don't know!).

Thought Howard had one of his best games for the club - definitely one of his best this season. McCarthy continues to grow into an excellent keeper and Zurab again showed his class. I know Mills and Pearce formed an excellent partnership earlier in the season but we just have to keep him in the side. The only change I'd definitely make for Tuesday is Griffin in for Gunnarsson. Long-term I expect Ivar to be replaced by either Pearce or Mills, and obviously Leigertwood needs to come back in when fit too. I'm in the camp that would prefer him to replace Karacan than Tabb.

One other thing I would say....for the first time in a few years I think we have a team that I'd back to win the play offs if we got there. Not necessarily in terms of class, but in terms of attitude and the way they battle. There's nothing nervous or panicky about the way we play when we're in front. Under Rodgers (and to an extent under Coppell towards the end of his reign) I always felt that we were one slip away from disaster. Maybe it's the way McDermott's set them up, maybe it's where the experience of a back four containing Harte, Ivar, Zurab, Bryn or Griffin comes into play, but even when we played against Everton recently I didn't feel the same nerves in the last five minutes that I used to do when we're 1-0 up.

The only team I wouldn't like to meet in the playoffs at the moment is Norwich, who have outplayed us twice.

Watching Man City thrash Sunderland yesterday really brought it home to me how well our defence did against them.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 04 Apr 2011 15:42

bcubed It also says "deliberately kick" without reference to parts of the leg (I would have thought this outweighs anything written in 1992)

Look up "kick" in a dictionary.

The confusion comes because it's referred to as a "back pass rule" but the technicality requires the foot to have been used, deliberately.

What confuses me, having read the rule, is how after a deliberate kick of the ball by a defender (a failed clearance or a blocked shot for example) the goalkeeper is sometimes allowed to handle the ball.

Then we have Dirk's assertion, on the Boro Refwatch thread, that referees are encouraged to ignore the rule altogether

Svlad Cjelli
That Friday Feeling Definite back pass missed though.

More likely ignored than missed - refs are actullay coached not to give them, as they're so difficult to administer, with so many players so close to the goal.

If that's the case, change the rule.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 04 Apr 2011 15:46

facaldaqui Watching Man City thrash Sunderland yesterday really brought it home to me how well our defence did against them.

Adam Johnson & a different system.

We'd have been slaughtered.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Apr 2011 16:02

That Friday Feeling
bcubed It also says "deliberately kick" without reference to parts of the leg (I would have thought this outweighs anything written in 1992)

[b]Look up "kick" in a dictionary.[/b]

The confusion comes because it's referred to as a "back pass rule" but the technicality requires the foot to have been used, deliberately.

What confuses me, having read the rule, is how after a deliberate kick of the ball by a defender (a failed clearance or a blocked shot for example) the goalkeeper is sometimes allowed to handle the ball.

Then we have Dirk's assertion, on the Boro Refwatch thread, that referees are encouraged to ignore the rule altogether

Svlad Cjelli
That Friday Feeling Definite back pass missed though.

More likely ignored than missed - refs are actullay coached not to give them, as they're so difficult to administer, with so many players so close to the goal.

If that's the case, change the rule.

In that case a back pass using the shin would be ok!

144 posts