Perspective

690 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Perspective

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2011 08:59

Brian McDermott had 21 games last year and has had 41 this year.

Amazingly, the ppg's are virtually identical

P 25 12-06-07 45-30 GD 15 42 Points 1.68 Points Per Game
P 41 18-15-08 70-46 GD 24 69 Points 1.68 Points Per Game

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Apr 2011 09:04

It would be interesting to know where we would be in a 46 game league table that began on 30th Jan 2010; on that date before we played Barnsley at home, we were 23rd in the Division, with 23 points.

Since then, the following 46 games have given us 80 points.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Apr 2011 09:05

Well the old bugger needs to get 5 more wins on the board to make this season an improvement then,

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2011 11:39

Mr Angry Perspective.....ok, here's mine.

We simply aren't good enough to go up, and the reason is simple; we don't have enough quality in the striking department to score enough goals to win enough games;

1 41 76 Goals Leeds
2 41 71 Goals Watford
3 41 70 Goals Reading

Better GD than Norwich (also scored 70). More goals and better GD than Cardiff, More goals than QPR, Leicester, Swansea

Second-best GD in the division, second only to QPR

people can quote as many statistics to say white is black, and black is white but the simple fact that
24 points out of a possible 45 at home, and a total of 8 clean sheets all season (and only 1 since
Christmas), is simply not good enough for a side to win promotion.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Judge a season.

Last night a key indication as to the difference between the 2 sides was the 2 striker
substitutions which happened at the same time; Miller for QPR, Manset for us - one on
loan from Man City, the other a purchase from Hereford.

11 Appearances 1 Goals Miller
06 Appearances 2 Goals Manset

That's a scoring rate four times better than Miller, so far.

We don't have enough depth in the squad to cope if we lose a couple of key players through injury/suspension; what we give to able to afford Pascal Chimbonda, who, if he were at Reading, would be an automatic start - last night for QPR, he was on the bench.

Turns out it's been the SQUAD that made the difference. Cummings, Gunnar, McCarthy, Tabb, Howard, Ingi, Karacan at left-back.
The squad players have been terrific.

However, we are still in with a shout of the play-offs, and if we do get there we will have momentum with us.

correct

However, as much as I would love us to get into the play-offs, I can see us falling short;
thats not being negative, that's being realisitic given the squad we have.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Apr 2011 14:05

Well done Snowball; I'm sure that makes you feel very superior.

:roll:

I'm sure if I had the time to trawl through you 7000+ posts, I could find a few things that you have posted that may turn out to be rubbish (Like your assertion that Burnley would make the Play-offs for example), but frankly, I have better things to do with my time, and even if I could be bothered, I'd like to think that I wouldn't behave in quite such a smug, arrogant and charmless manner as you do.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2011 17:06

Mr Angry Well done Snowball; I'm sure that makes you feel very superior.

:roll:

I'm sure if I had the time to trawl through you 7000+ posts, I could find a few things that you have posted that may turn out to be rubbish (Like your assertion that Burnley would make the Play-offs for example), but frankly, I have better things to do with my time, and even if I could be bothered, I'd like to think that I wouldn't behave in quite such a smug, arrogant and charmless manner as you do.

Fine, but you were still very wrong, and that's the point. Just as the doom-mongers who said we could not possibly cope without Gylfi, the numpties who said Long would never EVER score 20 Championship goals.

I wasn't "getting at you" Mr. A, just teasing, but the post I quoted is pretty remarkable
for how many things it got wrong back to back.

You're right about Burnley. I'm really surprised by them. They pretty much have a Premiership squad,
brought in a highly-thought-of manager, are cash-rich. At the time they were starting a strong run
and were ahead of us, going like a train, and with two games in hand. That thought was also just when
I thought (like most people) that we'd finally blown it by letting Sheffield United equalise.

But I only said I thought they'd pinch sixth and we'd miss out in seventh. I didn't say they'd win the league.

Burnley and Forest have both surprised us by getting into very VERY strong positions with games
in hand and then somehow blowing up.

And, be fair to me, since the GD thread I have consistently said we'd at least make the POs
except for that one miserable week where we failed to win at Sheffield.

But it was that same week I said we needed 30 points from our last 15 games and I believed we'd get them.

We need 4 points from 5 games to get the 30. I somehow think that will be achieved.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 14 Apr 2011 17:18

Snowball
Mr Angry Perspective.....ok, here's mine.

We simply aren't good enough to go up, and the reason is simple; we don't have enough quality in the striking department to score enough goals to win enough games;

1 41 76 Goals Leeds
2 41 71 Goals Watford
3 41 70 Goals Reading

Better GD than Norwich (also scored 70). More goals and better GD than Cardiff, More goals than QPR, Leicester, Swansea

Second-best GD in the division, second only to QPR

people can quote as many statistics to say white is black, and black is white but the simple fact that
24 points out of a possible 45 at home, and a total of 8 clean sheets all season (and only 1 since
Christmas), is simply not good enough for a side to win promotion.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Judge a season.

Last night a key indication as to the difference between the 2 sides was the 2 striker
substitutions which happened at the same time; Miller for QPR, Manset for us - one on
loan from Man City, the other a purchase from Hereford.

11 Appearances 1 Goals Miller
06 Appearances 2 Goals Manset

That's a scoring rate four times better than Miller, so far.

We don't have enough depth in the squad to cope if we lose a couple of key players through injury/suspension; what we give to able to afford Pascal Chimbonda, who, if he were at Reading, would be an automatic start - last night for QPR, he was on the bench.

Turns out it's been the SQUAD that made the difference. Cummings, Gunnar, McCarthy, Tabb, Howard, Ingi, Karacan at left-back.
The squad players have been terrific.

However, we are still in with a shout of the play-offs, and if we do get there we will have momentum with us.

correct

However, as much as I would love us to get into the play-offs, I can see us falling short;
thats not being negative, that's being realisitic given the squad we have.

Why do you bring up points from ages ago now? On the topic of Miller and Manset, the poster was clearly talking about that one game, not the rest of the season. You say that Manset has been a better acquisition yet that was posted after the game to say Miller did more when he came on than Manset, how is what you said relevant over 2 months later. Just give up. Or

JUST GIVE UP

As you would say.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2011 17:23

Snowball do you ever stop pointing out other people's failing whilst bigging yourself up? It really is tedious.

7172 posts

5347 stat attacks that mean nothing

1825 posts that smugly point out selected errors by others whilst hiding your own under the carpet or then justifying your own failings with another meaningless stat attack

THAT EQUATES TO...............................

A really annoying person.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Apr 2011 19:28

seahawk10 Five game winning streak coming. You heard it here first.

I would like to apologize for not predicting our winning streak more accurately. (4th post on this thread) :shock:

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 14 Apr 2011 19:40

Keep these coming snowball.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2011 20:32

seahawk10
seahawk10 Five game winning streak coming. You heard it here first.

I would like to apologize for not predicting our winning streak more accurately. (4th post on this thread) :shock:

You predicted it perfectly. So far we have had 3 x 5-game winning streaks

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2011 10:50

Looking at Ipswich's last 14 games (since Jewell came in and got his first league win)

Excluding the game against us, they have been playing promotion football

P14 W8 D3 L3 27-17 27 Points from 14 = 1.93 ppg = 89 Point Season

So our 3-1 win there was more than a bit special.

Even including their defeat by us they are:

P15 W8 D3 L4 28-20 27 Points from 15 = 1.80 ppg = 83 Point Season

H 3-2 Doncaster
A 2-1 Derby
H 3-0 Sheffield Utd

A 1-1 Barnsley
A 6-0 Doncaster
H 1-1 Hull
A 0-2 QPR
H 0-2 Portsmouth
A 2-0 Cardiff
H 1-3 Reading
A 0-0 Leeds
H 0-3 Watford
H 2-0 Scunthorpe
A 2-1 Burnley
H 2-1 Crystal Palace

H 3-3 Middlesbrough

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 15 Apr 2011 11:05

Snowball Looking at Ipswich's last 14 games (since Jewell came in and got his first league win)

Excluding the game against us, they have been playing promotion football

P14 W8 D3 L3 27-17 27 Points from 14 = 1.93 ppg = 89 Point Season

So our 3-1 win there was more than a bit special.

Even including their defeat by us they are:

P15 W8 D3 L4 28-20 27 Points from 15 = 1.80 ppg = 83 Point Season

H 3-2 Doncaster
A 2-1 Derby
H 3-0 Sheffield Utd

A 1-1 Barnsley
A 6-0 Doncaster
H 1-1 Hull
A 0-2 QPR
H 0-2 Portsmouth
A 2-0 Cardiff
H 1-3 Reading
A 0-0 Leeds
H 0-3 Watford
H 2-0 Scunthorpe
A 2-1 Burnley
H 2-1 Crystal Palace

H 3-3 Middlesbrough

Let's casually avoid the fact that Portsmouth and Watford also won there in adjacent home games (Watford by a better margin), and that win came during a period of only 1 win in 7. I wouldn't say it was "more than a bit special", because otherwise Watford's would be... miraculous?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 15 Apr 2011 11:14

chilipepper91 Let's casually avoid the fact that Portsmouth and Watford also won there in adjacent home games (Watford by a better margin), and that win came during a period of only 1 win in 7. I wouldn't say it was "more than a bit special", because otherwise Watford's would be... miraculous?

Oh dear! You don't want to argue with Snowball or even hold a different opinion to him. He'll unleash a torrent of unconnected numbers onto you to prove something or other - by that point everyone else reading the thread has lost the will to live so he can convince himself he's right by the lack or replies arguing against him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2011 11:22

Why does it matter who else won there or who didn't?

Their overall form is excellent in terms of points per game and we went there and did very well.

Is there part of the statistics you consider to be incorrect?

Strangely, I don't give a monkeys what Watford or Portsmouth are doing.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 15 Apr 2011 11:31

Snowball Why does it matter who else won there or who didn't?

Their overall form is excellent in terms of points per game and we went there and did very well.

Why Ipswich then?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Apr 2011 11:49

RoyalJames101

Why Ipswich then?

ooh ooh ooh ooh - I can answer this one in Snowball-stylee if you want??

don't you READ whats posted before replying you THICKO!![size=200]

GOD why do I have to deal with such STUPID people when I am the most INTELLIGENT person on the planet; it is a real pain having to deal with MORONS LIKE YOU!!!!!

I WILL EXPLAIN IT AGAIN SLOWLY - just for the hard of thinking people like you RoyalJames101

[/size]

Ipswich were brilliant and in the greatest run of form of any team from East Anglia (do you even KNOW where that is THICKO!!) since 2001 with a ppg ration and wins so complex for you to understand that I won't waste my INCREDIBLE INTELLIGENCE in putting them down for you.

We then win there - as I predicted they would - and so it PROVES beyond any doubt - apart from MORONS LIKE YOU - that I am by far the cleverest and greatest fan that ever lived!!!

:wink:

Just teasing Snowball...........

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2011 11:52

RoyalJames101

Why Ipswich then?

BBC were on about how well Jewell is doing and I checked and realised their figures which are excellent.

I noticed recently that not only have we been winning but we've beaten a number of in-form sides

Boro, Pompey, Preston, for example. This is another.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2011 12:36

Let's leave "intelligence" out of this.

Here's a true story, though.

When I joined up in 1963, I wanted to join the RAF Regiment and be a dog-handler.

I was told I couldn't join the Regiment because I was too intelligent...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Apr 2011 12:37

Not so intelligent than you can get to grips with the basic use of statistics, however.

Shame.

690 posts