Sheffield Utd (H) (Chris Armstrong day)

blade 1

Re: Sheffield Utd (H) (Chris Armstrong day)

by blade 1 » 24 Apr 2011 20:49

You seem to have got a decent manager at the moment, where as i think the only reason Micky Adams got the job was the fact that he is a blade. 3 wins in 23 with 14 defeats is a record that should have got anyone the sack (we were only 5 bottom when he was appointed.)

Hopefully you can keep hold of BM, it strikes me that he might not be in vogue enough to get a premiership offer (like your martinez's / de mateo's / inces etc) despite the terrific job he is doing

We will most certainly lose tomorrow.

But having said that before yesterday our only victories since November had come against Swansea, Forest and Leeds.

We have tended to play ok against the better sides but have failed to take points of anyone around us.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 24 Apr 2011 22:40

RoyalBlue
royalexile Too tight a call at the moment. Their win yesterday cast doubt on that.

Exactly. Anyone completely confident of a very easy, high scoring win needs to get his/her feet back on terra firma.

Her Feet ?????? Trying to avoid a Wendy toms / Andy gray incident here?

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 24 Apr 2011 22:59

blade 1 Stretch should get a massive ovation from both sets of fans

EDIT - as mentioned above, its amazing how close we have been in recent years. You should be grateful that you have a chairman that is still interested in your club and hasn't stripped it of any and every saleable asset and replaced them with a string of crap over the hill loan signings and oxygen thiefs.

We have got a fantastic Chairman but sadly he has a lot of critics, most of whom struggle to earn the average wage but seem to think they can run a multi-million pound football club.
I liked Neil warnock as a manager. OK, he came over as a bit of a twat but he wore his heart on his sleeve, a football character, something the game lacks. But wasn't he hounded out of Brammell Lane by the hordes? Thought he did a good job myself. Also liked Paddy Kenny, always a cheeky wry smile and a few sneaky tricks up his sleeve.
Chris will get a good reception from me. One of those quiet players that did a good job, and he had 'big boots' to fill after Murty. I liked him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Apr 2011 23:08

and smaller boots to actually fill with Shorey

otherwise agree Olde

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Apr 2011 23:32

I can see there being a few goals in this one, but none for United.

4-0 win.

Do it for Chris.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Apr 2011 05:47

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Apr 2011 06:07

I feel this will be a day of huge emotion. Win for us = playoff place. Win for SU = glimmer of hope of staying up. Then there is Chris.........

Chris Armstrong - a brave man who will show the continuing courage to step out on that pitch, receive a massive reception from both sets of supporters that will emphasize what he has achieved, sadly forced to give up and can look back on with fond memories. Hopefully the club and the PFA will give Chris the continuing support he will need.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 25 Apr 2011 08:23

royalexile I feel this will be a day of huge emotion. Win for us = playoff place. Win for SU = glimmer of hope of staying up. Then there is Chris.........

Chris Armstrong - a brave man who will show the continuing courage to step out on that pitch, receive a massive reception from both sets of supporters that will emphasize what he has achieved, sadly forced to give up and can look back on with fond memories. Hopefully the club and the PFA will give Chris the continuing support he will need.

'greed. Can't add much more to that.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 25 Apr 2011 09:17

I'm gutted I can't be there today, but I'll be listening! I've also put up a little Chris Armstrong tribute as my FB status! I suspect I'll be fighting back the tears when the game starts, even if I'm only listening on the radio! Good luck Chris, you are a total legend and an extremely brave man!!

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 25 Apr 2011 09:26

AthleticoSpizz and smaller boots to actually fill with Shorey

otherwise agree Olde

You've got to understand AthleticoSpizz that i am the sort of guy that when i had 'left & right stickers' stuck to the soles of my shoes at my wedding, i actually needed them!

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 25 Apr 2011 10:54

The 2-1 at home in 05/06 when Gillespie got sent off for them was one of my favourite Reading matches. We used to have such a good rivalry with them and Warnock in the good old days! :D

muzza

by muzza » 25 Apr 2011 10:59

Anyone have any news on Kebe?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Apr 2011 11:03

muzza Anyone have any news on Kebe?

Nothing on the OS to indicate he's injured.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 11:12

oldebiscuit
blade 1 Stretch should get a massive ovation from both sets of fans

EDIT - as mentioned above, its amazing how close we have been in recent years. You should be grateful that you have a chairman that is still interested in your club and hasn't stripped it of any and every saleable asset and replaced them with a string of crap over the hill loan signings and oxygen thiefs.

We have got a fantastic Chairman but sadly he has a lot of critics, most of whom struggle to earn the average wage but seem to think they can run a multi-million pound football club.
I liked Neil warnock as a manager. OK, he came over as a bit of a twat but he wore his heart on his sleeve, a football character, something the game lacks. But wasn't he hounded out of Brammell Lane by the hordes? Thought he did a good job myself. Also liked Paddy Kenny, always a cheeky wry smile and a few sneaky tricks up his sleeve.
Chris will get a good reception from me. One of those quiet players that did a good job, and he had 'big boots' to fill after Murty. I liked him.

After Shorey!!! :roll:

philM

by philM » 25 Apr 2011 11:16

SLAMMED
muzza Anyone have any news on Kebe?

Nothing on the OS to indicate he's injured.

The only reference I saw on the OS was in the Leeds report which mentioned a thigh injury. The beeb are saying today that he's still being monitored and HRK will play if he's out.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 11:21

Think they only put stuff on the OS if a player is definitely out for a fair while.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 11:23

royalexile

That front cover of The Royal makes me a little emotional. Stretch was brilliant for us and quite rightly got Player Of The Season here. It took a lot to come back from his knee injury at Sheffield United, and we had a fantastic left back who more than filled the void left by England capped Nicky Shorey.

It was a real real shame his injuries hampered his career at Reading and Sheff Utd, but to learn of his battle with Multiple Sclerosis really touched me. It's a horrible disease, and the way he battled it early on and continued to play is a real testament to the man.

I wish I could be at the Madstad today to give the boy a massive show of appreciation. I hope both Reading and Sheffield United can do a lot of work in the future to help Chris fight Multiple Sclerosis.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 12:00

Any online links for this today? Please PM.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Apr 2011 12:08

Allyh84 The 2-1 at home in 05/06 when Gillespie got sent off for them was one of my favourite Reading matches.

Those were two matches. 2-1 at home in 05/06, Gunnarsson scored twice. 3-1 at home in 06/07, Long, de la Cruz and Hunt, Gillespie sent off. Both terrific matches.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brynjar Gunnarsson, de la Cruz's goal, Keith Gillespie's elbow, Wally Downes, Sekou Baradji, Kinglsey getting bundled, SHunt's overhead kick, and Colin going mad.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 25 Apr 2011 12:18

You really do seem to have the measure of us.

We've not had many results since you came up to the champ in 01/02?

Be nice if you could give us one today as you will almost certainly stay in the play offs.