Back From The Game - Sheff Utd (H)

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back From The Game - Sheff Utd (H)

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Apr 2011 20:34

FiNeRaIn
LoyalRoyalFan Anyone who has about 10 touches of the ball throughout the match shouldn't be in the team. Robson Kanu.

This proves you weren't at the game today. He had 10 touches in his first run which he beat two players lol

I wasn't counting but Robson Kanu barely had the ball because he wasn't with the game.
Last edited by LoyalRoyalFan on 25 Apr 2011 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Apr 2011 20:35

floyd__streete
sandman Or when saint Zurab gets bullied by one of the worst strikers in the history of our club.

Henderson one of our worst ever strikers?

L
O
L

In recent memory, yes. Not the worst but definately one of the worst.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Apr 2011 20:38

After the final whistle I was absolutely speechless. Today felt weird, I didn't have the usual buzz at the start of the game. I thought our first goal had hit the side netting so was a bit surprised when everyone starting dancing. :lol: 2nd goal, I bet Kebe would've fired into row Z in the South Stand :wink: so thank God for HRK in that respect, but actually saying that, the goal meant nothing in the end :cry:

We were outplayed, outclassed by a Sheffield United side who woke up and fought for the victory. They deserved those 3 points. I was stunned that the SAME back 4, who were so resilient against Leicester, managed to look very shaky and nervous in defence, what a devastating contras!. Why was this? I won't understand. Mills was the WORST player on the pitch, I have to blame him for the loss. He did NOTHING all game. McCarthy had his worst game in a Reading shirt today and perhaps AFed should now step back into the team. I can't pick out a MOM because, tbh, none of our players played well. This was a very very disappointing result, a game we should've won. We won't get those 90 minutes back, so lets just look on and up. Coventry next, with Kebe back (hopefully) there's no reason why we can't now go on another unbeaten run.
Last edited by S09Royal on 25 Apr 2011 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 25 Apr 2011 20:40

sandman
floyd__streete Well, the important thing to say after that is that we have just as much chance of being promoted now was we did before kick off. But frankly that was absolutely rancid today, to toss away a two goal lead against the bottom side who played us off the park after scoring their first. Doesn't bode well. Defended like idiots all game, but that is no surprise when your defence is lef by Matt Mills.

Or when saint Zurab gets bullied by one of the worst strikers in the history of our club.

Mills was the one losing all of his headers to Henderson, jumping far too early and getting caught out of position time and time again. And his distribution was was pub team level. How is captain of this club is beyond me.

Granted Zurab wasn't great either, but his performance was streets ahead of Matt Mills'.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Apr 2011 20:41

S09Royal We were outplayed, outclassed by a Sheffield United side who woke up and fought for the victory. T

Today was awful, but we certainly weren't outclassed.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Apr 2011 20:43

FiNeRaIn
S09Royal We were outplayed, outclassed by a Sheffield United side who woke up and fought for the victory. T

Today was awful, but we certainly weren't outclassed.

Are you sure? :roll: maybe not in the first 20 minutes but after, certainly so.
We looked like we belonged at the bottom of the table, based purely on today's game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Apr 2011 20:43

Well today we saw what happens when we stop passing and resort to appalling hoofball. 2-0 up and passing Sheff Utd off the pitch then switch to hoofball, fail to create any further chances and end up losing 3-2.

Score for all players and management for the first 30 minutes = 8
Score for all players and management 31 minutes onwards = 1

And what the feck is the point of getting Antonio to repeatedly hurl long throws into their area if so few of his teammates can be arsed to get in there in an attempt to get onto the end of them!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Apr 2011 20:44

79Royal Mills was the one losing all of his headers to Henderson, jumping far too early and getting caught out of position time and time again. And his distribution was was pub team level. How is captain of this club is beyond me.

+1.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 25 Apr 2011 20:45

A laughable performance but surely one for the 4-4-2 freaks. Here we were in straight lines totally outpassed by the team at the bottom. A mirror image of the Leicester game except Sheffield managed to score. In hindsight if Brian had reverted to his 4-2-3-1 and started with Howard we would probably have won.
Our recent great run suggests we might still scramble into the Premiership, but playing like this we may as well send out ten dustbins.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Apr 2011 20:48

Look Floyde we all have players we don't like and players we do. You hate Matt Mills and think Darius was the second coming of Quinny. I think Mills is unfairly Maligned by you and others and that Darius rivals Frank Spencer in the clumsiest fools on the planet stakes.

As Rougier wasn't always played as an out and out striker and Darius was the scoring records aren't going to change either of our opinions are they? Imo when Rouge had the opportunity to play in the strikers role he was easily as good as Darius. My opinion, if you don't agree fine, you're perfectly entitled not to.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 25 Apr 2011 20:58

Oops - didn't see that defeat coming (although after nearly four decades following this team, maybe I should have...). 2-0 up and cruising - could easily have been 3 or 4. Then a soft goal for Henderson and all of a sudden the all-conquering, unbeatable Royals of the past two months are mysteriously replaced by hollowed out showroom dummies who only look like our team members.

I really don't want to dwell on this one too much. I just hope that it administers the kick up the backside that is clearly needed, to get them playing again as they clearly can. Need to put this behind them, and maybe a chance for McD to point out that places are not safe and those who don't extract the finger in the next two games won't be involved in the play-offs. (Maybe time for Shane Long to have a rest anyway...?)

Oh, and a question - when you're playing a team with big defenders who are so much more up for it than we were, and failing to win anything in the air, why keep lumping the ball up to them?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2011 21:14

chilipepper91
Ratings...

McCarthy - 6 - may have been at fault for the goal, otherwise his distribution was good I thought (apart from their disallowed goal from his throw)
Griffin - 6 - A few good runs, should have tracked better for their second goal.
Mills - 6 - Composed, won most of his headers.
Khiz - 5 - First bad game in a while - kept losing to Henderson.
Harte - 6 - No complaints.
McAnuff - 6 - typical performance, did well then did nothing for 10 minutes. If we were going to equalise it looked like coming through him.
Karacan - 5 - hustle and bustle, but no range of passing.
Leigertwood - 6 - again a typical performance, but lost concentration a few times.
Robson-Kanu - 4 - just like Leeds; did nothing after about the first 20.
Long - 5 - set up the first, his head injury rendered him less useful after that.
Hunt - 4 - yes he scored, but he did little else. Woeful first touch.

Manset - 5 - what he did was good, but he still isn't quite fitting with the rest of the squad.
Antonio - 5 - has a good long throw, but we didn't have the right tactics for it. Good on the ball.
Howard - 5 - performed the role he was brought on for, to help transition between defence and attack.

Just heard that Kebe will be fine for Coventry - boy do we need him. I'd go 4-5-1 with Howard just ahead of Ledge and Karacan.

worst.ratings.ever.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2011 21:16

Everythings been just about said, but what i would say is that was an awful, shocking decision to disallow their goal from McCarthy's total balls up, unless i missed something in the build up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 21:19

Negative_Jeff A laughable performance but surely one for the 4-4-2 freaks. Here we were in straight lines totally outpassed by the team at the bottom. A mirror image of the Leicester game except Sheffield managed to score. In hindsight if Brian had reverted to his 4-2-3-1 and started with Howard we would probably have won.
Our recent great run suggests we might still scramble into the Premiership, but playing like this we may as well send out ten dustbins.

Howard makes us play the ball on the deck. Shit teams down the bottom are usually better at dealing with route one simple stuff IMO. Most people are suggesting we played too much hoofball after the first 25 minutes.

Sounds pretty spot on to me Jeff. The only problem would be it's likely to have been Hunt that made way and he sounded like he started very well. And obviously got the first goal.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 25 Apr 2011 21:28

Well that was pretty terrible. We went 2-0 up without really breaking a sweat and could have had easily two or three more in a good first 25 minutes. McAnuff bossed the show I thought and linked up well with Long. Then the next 50 minutes was the worst I think we've been all season along with the first half at home to Norwich. The whole feel of the game at that point from our side was of a pre-season friendly. No intensity, no fight, second to every 50/50 and physically outmuscled all over the pitch. Also think AMac has to take some blame for the first goal. Henderson is as left footed as they come and there was only one possible place that dirty scuff was going, that too at 7MPH. We didn't do anything offensively for the next 50 minutes afterwards. I also missed a goal for the first time, or witnessed it from the concourses rather, as the baking sun led me to go buy a warm, flat Pepsi for £2, a minute or two before the break.

Second half I felt BMac was too late with the changes. Usually he makes them early after we concede, which doesn't give the opposition any time to settle after scoring. But the 15-20 minutes he left allowed Sheff Utd to get organised and into a rhythm of clearing and heading the ball away. Howard looked up for it when he came on and was unlucky with a super effort. Antonio looked lively too and The Beast was on it but we just gave him very little to feed of.

A quick point on AMac. I'm a huge fan since he's come in. But I think he escapes some criticism a lot of the time for things AFed maybe wouldn't. Firstly his kicking is absolutely awful. Secondly although he put in a MOTM performance at Leeds he had some very dodgy moments too, and was lucky not to concede. He has also conceded some soft goals such as today, Palace away etc. I still feel Fed is our best keeper from what I have seen. He was unlucky with the injury he got at the wrong time and the subsequent run we went on. I feel he should regain the jersey at some point soon.

Defence was terrible today and Mills had his worst game in a while. Griff done ok going forward and Khiz again looked composed with the ball but was outmuscled too easily. Harte was ok but maybe rushed his final ball too often.

Overall we missed Kebe hugely and we will have to lift ourselves for one big push again and i'm confident we will use this as the kick up the backside it was. URZZZZZZZZZ!

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 25 Apr 2011 21:53

Hunt can only play well when the ball is played to feet. Is not strong or fast enough to deal with long ball - why he was so ineffective after 30 mins.

Long played poor after his injury and should have been subbed rather than Hunt & rested.

Should have put Howard on at HT - McDermott too slow to make changes (should of seen hoofball and put Howard on to change it before it was too late - 75th min)

Why is Antonio not starting over HRK?

HRK didn't beat a defender all game

Had no more than 3 players in the box for a long Antonio throw in the 85th minute - no commitment at all from the players

Defence was p*ss poor all around - drop Mills

As mentioned before if we had started 4-2-1-3 we would have won

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 25 Apr 2011 21:58

blueroyals Hunt can only play well when the ball is played to feet. Is not strong or fast enough to deal with long ball - why he was so ineffective after 30 mins.

Long played poor after his injury and should have been subbed rather than Hunt & rested.

Should have put Howard on at HT - McDermott too slow to make changes (should of seen hoofball and put Howard on to change it before it was too late - 75th min)

Why is Antonio not starting over HRK?

HRK didn't beat a defender all game

Had no more than 3 players in the box for a long Antonio throw in the 85th minute - no commitment at all from the players

Defence was p*ss poor all around - drop Mills

As mentioned before if we had started 4-2-1-3 we would have won

You obviously din't see him beat about three players in one turn within the first 10 minutes or so.

Reading West

by Reading West » 25 Apr 2011 22:02

Guys

Of course it was a very, very bad day at the office today but we have to look at everything in perspective. We have just come off the longest winning sequence out of all four divisons this season (matched only by Brighton) and a few months ago we were moaning that it is looking like mid table mediocrity, we are now near certain of being in the Play-offs, with 2 games still to go :)

Better we have this blip now rather than in few games time ( where hopefully Kebe will be fully fit and flying)

Always_Royal

by Always_Royal » 25 Apr 2011 22:17

Well that was dire. For the first 25 minutes we played well, then just switched off. Maybe the players were tired after Leeds, but whatever the reason it was a totally unacceptable performance. I thought Griffin had a half reasonable game and HRK at times seemed ok. Antonio, Manset and Howard livend things up when they came on at the end, but I think Antonio should start over HRK and his long throws add something extra if they weren't allowed to go to waste each time. Jobi, Mills and McCarthy all had poor games.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Apr 2011 22:20

2-0 up and closing in on automatic promotion... I reckon we choked.
Last edited by Sarah Star on 25 Apr 2011 22:59, edited 1 time in total.