HRK vs Antonio

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: HRK vs Antonio

by Gordons Cumming » 09 May 2011 12:33

Jake Taylor reminded me of Jack Wilshire.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 12:35

Antonio played like he did the first time he ever played for Reading (some Cup game I can't remember) - especially the bits where he lost the ball down the wing. Since coming back from Southampton he's hardly featured. I think that probably had something to do with it.

With Church, it's very much like Long when he wasn't scoring. He does all the right things but get the ball in the net. That's got to knock your confidence particularly if you're not getting the time on the pitch.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 12:38

Antonio was probably well aware that this was his big chance to impress and so was probably trying too hard - playing naturally and instinctivley is always a much better option, but easier said than done in such a situation.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 May 2011 12:40

Svlad Cjelli Antonio was probably well aware that this was his big chance to impress and so was probably trying too hard - playing naturally and instinctivley is always a much better option, but easier said than done in such a situation.

Hal had a similar game earlier in the season. It was his second game, after Mcanuff was injured and although is was more that we was anonymous than making mistakes.

But on the weekend he played with a great deal more self-belief than we've seen as yet. I hope he keeps it up, I like the way he plays.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 12:41

Svlad Cjelli Antonio was probably well aware that this was his big chance to impress and so was probably trying too hard - playing naturally and instinctivley is always a much better option, but easier said than done in such a situation.

He has played at Wembley though and he had a good game there... shame it was for Southampton.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 May 2011 12:42

Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah I think he might've been one who should've closed down their number 10 before he had a chance to line up his shot (that Federici should've saved) though.

No that was definately Mills. Cummings was out wide on the player who played the ball into Ward, and then Mills gave him 5 yards of space in which to control, turn and fire his shot into the goal....(Mills did make a token gesture of waving his leg around a bit though).

Erm nope , Cummings was caught out too high up the pitch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13329626.stm

That aside - he had a very good game

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 May 2011 12:43

I'm not that impressed with Hal's finishing.
It needed a slight deflection to get his goal on Saturday.
He very rarely seems to hit the ball cleanly.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 12:43

Sarah Star

He has played at Wembley though and he had a good game there... shame it was for Southampton.

And hardly played for over a year since - and now he gets a chance to shine and maybe force his way into the play-off team. No wonder he's nervous.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 12:45

Svlad Cjelli
Sarah Star

And hardly played for over a year since - and now he gets a chance to shine and maybe force his way into the play-off team. No wonder he's nervous.

That was my point above ^^^

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 12:45

Sarah Star Antonio played like he did the first time he ever played for Reading (some Cup game I can't remember) - especially the bits where he lost the ball down the wing. Since coming back from Southampton he's hardly featured. I think that probably had something to do with it.

With Church, it's very much like Long when he wasn't scoring. He does all the right things but get the ball in the net. That's got to knock your confidence particularly if you're not getting the time on the pitch.

I'd agree that Church looks so far out of confidence that it's causing him problems but I couldn't go as far as to say he's doing 'all the right things but get the ball in the net'. Too often on Saturday he'd miss-time his run or allow the defender too much of an opportunity to take the ball off him.

He looks half the player he has done at times previously and I hope he can get his previous form back, although I still don't think he has enough about him to be a real threat at this level.

Lovelly jink inside and effort when he hit the bar though.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 May 2011 12:46

Gordons Cumming I'm not that impressed with Hal's finishing.
It needed a slight deflection to get his goal on Saturday.
He very rarely seems to hit the ball cleanly.

Most of his goals have been from him running into the box picking up the pieces from deflections/rebounds, naturally those balls are bouncing around a lot. It's good enough that he isn't sending them flying into the stands like most seem to.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 09 May 2011 12:46

Hoop Blah
Sarah Star Antonio played like he did the first time he ever played for Reading (some Cup game I can't remember) - especially the bits where he lost the ball down the wing. Since coming back from Southampton he's hardly featured. I think that probably had something to do with it.

I'd agree that Church looks so far out of confidence that it's causing him problems but I couldn't go as far as to say he's doing 'all the right things but get the ball in the net'. Too often on Saturday he'd miss-time his run or allow the defender too much of an opportunity to take the ball off him.

It's not that he is doing the wrong things, it's that he is overthinking the right things to a fault.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2011 13:54

Gordons Cumming I'm not that impressed with Hal's finishing.
Doesn't matter, as long as they go in.

HRK seems to score alot of goals off the bench, For that reason I'm inclined to leave him there and bring him on when it's time for Jimmy Kebe's standing ovation.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2011 14:29

antonio has potential, and will probably look better after a run of games- hes looked better already this season so i wouldnt be writing him off as yet.

but the two players differing prospects in that game, and over the whole season would suggest that brian has got it about right in terms of pecking order between them.

hal robson kanu is strong, athletic, pacy,technically decent, scores important goals, gets a few decent crosses in, and with little improvement will be a very good championship class winger next season.
antonio is very raw, but strong, pacy, and has something about him. hes just not where HRK is yet.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 May 2011 14:33

Antonio didn't look amazing at Coventry and by all accounts was fairly off-form on Saturday but I still think he's a better 'impact sub' then HRK. His long throw, his power and general ability to unsettle a team are still an asset though at this stage it's clear you'd rather have 90 minutes of Kanu.

But bear in mind that HRK has had 12 league starts this year plus 2 in the cup and another 15 games off the bench. Add that to 4 starts and 13 sub appearances last year and his experience at this level far exceeds Antonio, who has just 2 stars in his career at Championship level, give him time before writing off the lad.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 09 May 2011 14:53

The Goat was fed Not sure I've seen a professional footballer with such a bad first touch as Antonio, sadly.

A charge once levelled by many at a certain Mr Long.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2011 15:03

and saturday was just a bad example. antonio doesnt always bumble the ball into touch every time he tries to control it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 May 2011 15:56

HRK's stats are not bad at all

020 Shots, 13 on target, 06 goals = a goal every 03.33 shots Hal Robson-Kanu
104 Shots, 57 on target, 23 goals = a goal every 04.52 shots Shane Long
054 shots, 33 on target, 10 goals = a goal every 05.40 shots Noel Hunt
060 Shots, 30 on target, 11 goals = a goal every 05.45 shots Harte >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hit the woodwork no less than NINE times (counted as "off target")

012 shots, 03 on target, 02 goals = a goal every 06.00 shots Gylfi Siggurdson
060 Shots, 31 on target, 09 goals = a goal every 06.67 shots Jimmy Kebe
015 shots, 08 on target, 02 goals = a goal every 07.50 shots Mattieu Manset
017 shots, 06 on target, 02 goals = a goal every 08.50 shots Elwood

046 Shots, 25 on target, 04 goals = a goal every 11.25 shots Simon Church
070 Shots, 48 On target, 04 goals = a goal every 17.50 shots Jobi McAnuff
036 shots, 15 on target, 03 goals = a goal every 12.00 shots Jem Karacan
038 shots, 22 on target, 00 goals = a goal every 99999 shots Brian Howard

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2011 16:49

If statistics are to be believed then surely Adam Federici has the best shots / goals ratio of players currently at the club and more importantly, the best shots / goal ratio versus Cardiff City.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 16:50

Snowball 060 Shots, 30 on target, 11 goals = a goal every 05.45 shots Harte >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hit the woodwork no less than NINE times (counted as "off target")

F'ing useless - should learn to shoot straight!