No Reading ill-feeling, says Swansea's Brendan Rodgers

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: No Reading ill-feeling, says Swansea's Brendan Rodgers

by Snowball » 20 May 2011 07:06

Gav No beef with Rodgers at all; stubborn as a mule, idealistic, misguided, somewhat arrogant and ultimately a total and utter mismatch under the circumstances, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's Reading all the way through and is pleased we've pushed on well.

Saying this, there's no doubt he'll be determined to beat us for his own professional pride and it'll be an incredible contest.

I'm more concerned with not losing to Rodgers than beating him. Swansea, on the other hand, I want to utterly thrash.

If Swansea win, Rodgers can crow.

But I bet if Reading win it'll be because he nurtured Karacan, discovered Cummings, developed Long, etc.

I can hear the interview now.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 20 May 2011 08:08

DOYLERSAROYALER Swansea Jack ....Swansea fans think that Rodgers is the Messiah (aka son of Joseus! :D )... and for reference , hardly any of the team playing now under BM played for Coppell so sorry SJ you need to do your research ..... Kebe did and occasionally Long & Feds and rarely and of the guys like Karacan and Church ...BM built his team ..BR didnt ! :D

:roll: T'was but a joke dear boy hence the :wink:

Why wouldn't we think he's the Messiah...he's taken us to our biggest game in decades. BR may not have built the team but his tinkering (Sinclair, Borini, playing Joe Allen ahead of Pratley, bringing ickl Leon back...) has only improved it. The only criticism from my side, and bear in mind I don't see the day-in-day-out news, is that we should've taken second place when all the other playoff teams were losing with 5-10 games to go.

&anyone else get a migraine after one of Snowballs posts?

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 20 May 2011 08:24

Rodgers put a lot of time and commitment into this club long before his managerial role and was clearly good at what he did, for that we should thank him.

He came back as manager whilst being hailed the best thing since sliced bread at Watford. With all due respect to Watford, I'd like to think that the set up at this club is far advanced to where Watford are at the moment.
Yes he came back as the big I am, on the back of his pludits at Watford, and we are not a club that suffers that type of arrogance, neither from the staff or players. Many of our players have grown into professional football together and others have said how happy they are once arriving here.
There is no room for one persons self importance!

I'm sure Rodgers would be the first to admit that he made mistakes at Reading and I for one have no problem in seeing his career progress well, just never at the expense of RFC.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 20 May 2011 09:02

Indeed, but he's also learnt from those mistakes and applied that knowledge to his time at Swansea.

I think the biggest criticism of him is that he wouldn't take advice and assistance - he had to do everything his own way and wouldn't tolerate anyone else trying to advise or help.

It's easy to see who he learnt that style of management from, but while it might work elsewhere it wasn't appropriate at Reading, where the club and the team is much bigger than any individual is. That kind of attitude lost him allies, one by one, and you can only get by pissing people off if you're successful on the pitch. He wasn't.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2011 12:01

DOYLERSAROYALER
swansea jack
DOYLERSAROYALER ...best to not forget that Brian hasn't gone to Reading and made them the team they are now..

..Coppell is the person credited with bringing the brand of football to the pitch.

..BIG WATCH, decided to dismantle it during his tenure, and McD has simply brought it back, with most of the squad that played under Coppell...which he has complemented with the likes of Leighterwood and Griffin.

..so he hasnt started from a blank bit of paper and performed miracles...only SAF can perform miracles! :D

Corrected for you :wink:

Swansea Jack ....Swansea fans think that Rodgers is the Messiah (aka son of Joseus! :D )... and for reference , hardly any of the team playing now under BM played for Coppell so sorry SJ you need to do your research ..... Kebe did and occasionally Long & Feds and rarely and of the guys like Karacan and Church ...BM built his team ..BR didnt ! :D

Coppell played a big part in the development and first team blooding or introduction of:
Ingimarsson, Gunnarsson, Federici, Pearce, Karacan, Kebe, Long, Tabb, Church...

That includes the top three for our player of the season vote, and 4 players with over 30 appearances this season.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 20 May 2011 16:26

Snowball Had the playing minutes data. The above took a couple of minutes (and then I went out again, to "The Old Statistician" for .783 of a pint.)

Snowball - fair enough mate ...just seemed like an awful lot of analysis done there thats all...not criticising the output.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 20 May 2011 16:29

Snowball
Gav No beef with Rodgers at all; stubborn as a mule, idealistic, misguided, somewhat arrogant and ultimately a total and utter mismatch under the circumstances, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's Reading all the way through and is pleased we've pushed on well.

Saying this, there's no doubt he'll be determined to beat us for his own professional pride and it'll be an incredible contest.

I'm more concerned with not losing to Rodgers than beating him. Swansea, on the other hand, I want to utterly thrash.

If Swansea win, Rodgers can crow.

But I bet if Reading win it'll be because he nurtured Karacan, discovered Cummings, developed Long, etc.

I can hear the interview now.

....dont forget Jobi ...hell dont forget Jobi, remember he was in the Watford trash bin when the Messiahs son arrived there...and he brought him back from the dead...a miracle..a miracle.... :lol:

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 20 May 2011 16:32

Svlad Cjelli Indeed, but he's also learnt from those mistakes and applied that knowledge to his time at Swansea.

I think the biggest criticism of him is that he wouldn't take advice and assistance - he had to do everything his own way and wouldn't tolerate anyone else trying to advise or help.

It's easy to see who he learnt that style of management from, but while it might work elsewhere it wasn't appropriate at Reading, where the club and the team is much bigger than any individual is. That kind of attitude lost him allies, one by one, and you can only get by pissing people off if you're successful on the pitch. He wasn't.....

+1 .....i wonder if he still uses Mourinho as his mentor OR is he his own man now?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 May 2011 16:47

DOYLERSAROYALER
Snowball Had the playing minutes data. The above took a couple of minutes (and then I went out again, to "The Old Statistician" for .783 of a pint.)

Snowball - fair enough mate ...just seemed like an awful lot of analysis done there thats all...not criticising the output.

No probs. In the season I had logged the playing minutes under Rodgers and then Mac, anyway...

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 20 May 2011 16:57

The defining moment for Long under Rodgers was when he came on at Derby and launched a petulant slide tackle on a Derby player when a decision didnt go his way, under Rodgers he didnt look good at all, and i think under that reasoning its very logical why he didnt get played after he recovered from injury. Under Brian Long has been 10 times better, but i dont think we can really moan at Rodgers not playing Shane when he looked so so poor.

Personally i liked Brendan and did like his ideas, but so many times we could listen to BBC Berks and just cringe at his interviews. My personal biggest cringe was "My Motto is Skillful Soldier" blehh

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 May 2011 18:27

BR's "crime" was that he cared too much what happened to his club, was too desperate to succeed, wore his heart on his sleeve and, probably through inexperience, said what was on his mind rather than giving considered non-committal answers at times. The beginning of the Tommy Smith saga being first evidence of this.

He has enormous confidence in his own abilities, which is great, but to many this all came across as arrogance; my impression of him is that he is anything but an arrogant guy. Just my opinion.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2011 12:58

ZacNaloen LONG WAS INJURED FOR 90%* OF RODGERS TIME AT THE CLUB DURING THE SEASON.

Fact is Rodgers is correct, he did try to bring him in.

The Ankle injury put Long out for ages though, and he wasn't really fully fit until Mcdermott got in. Which is why Church played more minutes.

*probably

Shane is quite clear when he says Brendan Rodgers DROPPED HIM (my understanding)
and PREFERRED CHURCHY (also my understanding)

He says he "wasn't doing it for Brendan" etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13574239.stm