The Phil Dowd appreciation thread.

185 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: The Phil Dowd appreciation thread.

by Kitsondinho » 30 May 2011 20:51

Dowd did make some mistakes and was a bit inconsistent. However, just like Webb in the semi, he got all the major decisions right. The first pen was 100% a pen...all day. Kish was lucky to stay on the field. The second pen I was unsure about, but every single person I know who saw the game on TV says it was a nailed on pen. I'm not going to argue with that. Dowd did seem to let Swansea get away with being more physical in the challenge. Nevertheless it is not his fault that our defence is made of biscuits. It is also not his fault that we gifted Swansea all 4 goals.
Last edited by Kitsondinho on 30 May 2011 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

by Finch » 30 May 2011 20:51

Royal Lady I can't help but think that if Tabb and Gibbs saw cause to swear at the ref and SJM appeared to blame him, then we can't all be wrong in what we're thinking.

Nothing to do with the emotion?

They are all wrong.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 May 2011 20:52

no complaints.both pens looked giveable.did well to get within a post of extra time.oh well.oxf*rd off football.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 30 May 2011 20:54

For me the problem was the lack of consistency in decisions between the teams.

Griffin's yellow card for what was a strong but legitimate tackle basically sent Reading the message "tackle Swansea and you will get booked", hence why from that point on the players were playing patches - they couldn't commit without thinking about it and second guessing themselves.

Then Swansea players not getting booked for similar or worse tackles. If I was wound up with that from the rafters, I'm not surprised the team and staff were.

I'm not unhappy with the performance, nor do I begrudge Swansea the Prem (they're welcome to if I'm honest), but I am irritated that Dowd stopped the game from being a freeflowing match we could all enjoy.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 May 2011 20:56

Avon Royal
Royal Rother
:lol: Good grief. That's pathetic. You might be sad and emotional but seriously, you need to grow up. A lot.

Nice one!

Like you're in any position to tell anybody to grow up. :lol:

Fella, I have no idea what your beef is with me. I'm moving on.

Finch

by Finch » 30 May 2011 20:56

brendywendy no complaints.both pens looked giveable.did well to get within a post of extra time.oh well.oxf*rd off football.

You're wrong. RL said so and she's a mod!

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 30 May 2011 20:59

Finch
brendywendy no complaints.both pens looked giveable.did well to get within a post of extra time.oh well.oxf*rd off football.

You're wrong. RL said so and she's a mod!

:roll:

Wiggypop

by Wiggypop » 30 May 2011 21:04

Royal Rother
Royal Lady It wasn't one-eyed from where I was sitting. I'll re-watch the game and report back at some point, but I just can't see myself seeing Dowd making 100% accuracte decisions for us in the first half.

I'm sure it wasn't but I saw every oxf*rd angle in slow motion so I'm in a damned site better position to offer a balanced view than you are. Accept it.

Twat

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 May 2011 21:06

Haven't seen the second pen, but the first is as clear as you will see all season, dreadful tackle worthy of a yellow.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 30 May 2011 21:06

Wiggypop
Royal Rother
Royal Lady It wasn't one-eyed from where I was sitting. I'll re-watch the game and report back at some point, but I just can't see myself seeing Dowd making 100% accuracte decisions for us in the first half.

I'm sure it wasn't but I saw every oxf*rd angle in slow motion so I'm in a damned site better position to offer a balanced view than you are. Accept it.

Twat

Somewhat childish don't you think? Anyone who has seen the decisions on the TV will agree with RR, unless they own a labrador.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 30 May 2011 21:07

Is this the same sporting acumen as Mr Angry and RR who were SPOT ON with the Test cricket? 8)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 May 2011 21:07

None of us are talking about the penalties now. Jacques has written what I was thinking far more eloquently than I could get across.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2011 21:08

Thought both penalties were dodgy, and that he should have blown for a foul on Long in the build up to their second. Hard to see from my seat though. He gave us sweet FA all game, but we gave him the opportunity to punish us and Swansea didn't.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 May 2011 21:11

Percy's Rocket Sorry ..both penalties were questionable...I was worried when I saw who was reffing..the ultimate big time charlie who needs to be the centre of attention

and determined to ensure that he decided the outcome of the game...not the players.....the worst kind of referee unfortunately.

And how did he expect the reading bench to react after his first half showing..they got 11 free kicks to our one which he really had to give..

Not even big enough to take the flak for that in such a big game and basically today...

A CHEAT

(but that is what we would have got every week if we had gone up as Blackpool found out.)

...both penalties questionable ???? ...tell me you are joking...

. lets not start laying the blame at a poor ref ,who actually got those two penalty decisions right, when the blame is squarely at the door of the defence ...if they had done their job, this blaming the ref would not even be in question .

Dowd wasnt great accepted ,but he kept Kish on when he should have walked...

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 May 2011 21:12

RL - get yourself to bed, watch the game tomorrow then look in the mirror, take a long hard look at yourself and say "you've let yourself down"

HTH

superreadingfan

by superreadingfan » 30 May 2011 21:12

dowddy did a decent job. i have to say if we are looking for a scapegoat.. there isnt one. simply not good enough. players played to their best ability, whether or not it was high enough quality is the question. overall there is more work to be done. simply stated we can build upon this to greater things, or like we do every year, deconstruct the team and try to rebuild by plugging leaks with bubblegum.. the answer only madejski knows..getting to the premier league is about taking calculated risks..if you dont have the balls to ante up.. then why are you in the game ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 May 2011 21:12

Tails Is this the same sporting acumen as Mr Angry and RR who were SPOT ON with the Test cricket? 8)

I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm sure it felt like a good and relevant contribution at the time.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 May 2011 21:14

Royal Rother
Wimb Don't think anyone's really complaining about the penalties, at worst they a little iffy...

Honestly Wimb, they weren't iffy in the slightest.

I said at worst :roll: I didn't have complaints from where I was sat, not seen a replay mind.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 30 May 2011 21:16

TheMaraudingDog RL - get yourself to bed, watch the game tomorrow then look in the mirror, take a long hard look at yourself and say "you've let yourself down"

HTH

We are discussing Phil Dowd's performance - thanks for the superb contribution to this discussion with this comment.

HTH

Finch

by Finch » 30 May 2011 21:17

It's funny how someone hundreds of yards away and a bit wonky after a few drinks thinks that they know better than the referee who was in a much better position to judge.

185 posts