Isn't there just a little bit of you that is happy ...

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Isn't there just a little bit of you that is happy ...

by Flyingkiwi » 31 May 2011 11:18

Not really. :|

I was one of the people calling for his head at the end of his Reading tenure. If he hadn't gone when he did, there would've been no way we would've been challenging for a place in the prems yesterday as we'd've been third tier.

That said; no hard feelings and good luck to the man.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 May 2011 11:32

RobRoyal Not really :|

I've got a real uppity funk on about Rodgers' comments after the game. Doesn't take satisfaction from beating Reading, he says. They gave me my chance, but he just didn't bring what was needed there. "Someone coming in trying to pass the ball, you know, playing attractive attacking football with tactical discipline ... my way of working just didn't suit at that time."

Well, ok, it's a bit :lol: and there is some truth in it.

But it's a massive slight to McDermott who played some wonderful football with the same players last year, and again on occasion this year. Swansea play great football but there's more than one way to skin a cat. He's claiming a monopoly on attractive attacking football and it's rubbish. He sounds an arrogant egotistical fool. Again.

We scored 8 more goals than you this season Brendan.

Absolutely agree with this. That interview seemed a bit disrespecful and suggested McDermott doesn't set us up to play attractive attacking football.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 31 May 2011 11:39

I don't really understand why people keep harping on about what a good footballing team Swansea are - in truth they aren't that different to us really except we're more direct.

They have 2 tricky wingers but most of their passing yesterday was across the pitch and backward and didn't really hurt us - the pass of the day came from Mills out to Jobi and there were numerous times when our build up play was as good if not better.

Watching the 1st half highlights on the screen apart from their goals everything was us and I'm pretty sure the 2nd half would've been the same.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 May 2011 13:50

Royal Rother He isn't everyone's cup of tea as he talks in circles and cliches

This probably sums Mr Marmite up rather well. He obviously has something, his team ran rings around us for most of the game yesterday but as I said on another thread he must have blarnied his way into another job after modest short term success with Watford and abject short term failure with Reading.

Can't say as he is my cup of tea. Love the football that his team have played this season, but he arrogantly tried to change too much too soon at Reading - are you really expecting to be able to get Kalifa Cisse playing carpet football just because you laid the cones out at Cobham? :| - and sound of his soundbites got very tiresome as the team failed week in week out. I don't think he handles the media at all well, as proven by his hopeless handling of the Tommy Smith transfer. And boasting about giving Kevin Doyle a presentation on your 'methodology' before he was flogged to Wolves; fancy yaself don'tcha?

I don't wish him any ill-will, but I don't like people who speak in management-cliches, thinking-outside-the-box-blue-sky-thinking bullsh*t.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 May 2011 14:02

Agree with most of that Floyd. I can't stand management speak bull-shit. I've seen it in my job over the years and its just irritating. Rodgers is a past master at it. He still seems bitter about being sacked.
One thing I don't agree with is that Swansea rang rings around us. I thought they were nervous and below par yesterday and we let them get away with it by producing our worst defensive performance of the season.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 May 2011 14:06

floyd__streete Love the football that his team have played this season...

Quite an about-turn to your thoughts of them after we played them at the Liberty in January old boy. You were just as disparaging about him and his style of play then as you were when Rodgers was at Reading...

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 31 May 2011 14:09

floyd__streete
Royal Rother He isn't everyone's cup of tea as he talks in circles and cliches

This probably sums Mr Marmite up rather well. He obviously has something, his team ran rings around us for most of the game yesterday but as I said on another thread he must have blarnied his way into another job after modest short term success with Watford and abject short term failure with Reading.

Can't say as he is my cup of tea. Love the football that his team have played this season, but he arrogantly tried to change too much too soon at Reading - are you really expecting to be able to get Kalifa Cisse playing carpet football just because you laid the cones out at Cobham? :| - and sound of his soundbites got very tiresome as the team failed week in week out. I don't think he handles the media at all well, as proven by his hopeless handling of the Tommy Smith transfer. And boasting about giving Kevin Doyle a presentation on your 'methodology' before he was flogged to Wolves; fancy yaself don'tcha?

I don't wish him any ill-will, but I don't like people who speak in management-cliches, thinking-outside-the-box-blue-sky-thinking bullsh*t.

I think you speak too much of him in the present tense - a lot of his success at Swansea may well have come from becoming less dogmatic in his approach a bit after he learnt from the mistakes he made here.

BirminghamRoyal

by BirminghamRoyal » 31 May 2011 14:12

Not really, I can think of a fair few other teams that i'd rather have seen go up.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 31 May 2011 14:22

If you still hate Futcher I don't really understand why people keep harping on about what a good footballing team Swansea are - in truth they aren't that different to us really except we're more direct.

Amzing isn't it. Before the game it was how superior they were to us in general, yet for all their 'superiority' over us this season they only finished 3 points ahead.

Happy for Brendan? Not fussed really, he does have an incredibly annoying personality though.